Topic

No cook dinner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh nice. Greg’s sardines are available smoked. That sounds like a winner to this noob.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Unless it says skinless & boneless on the package, they won’t be. The only wild planet sardines that are skinless & boneless are these.

Sardines with skin & bones aren’t terrible as I’ve eaten a fair amount of them. I just prefer the Centos. Sometimes I split a can between my 2 dogs. They love them too.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh. I assumed they would be deboned too since they were skinless (descaled, actually). Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look for the Centos too.

Aaron S
    BPL Member

@aronymous

Louisville Vegan jerky is good if you want to try a meat alternative.  Primal Vegan is also good if you don’t mind gluten.

There is always tortillas.  Pepperoni and string(or hard) cheese gives you a pizza roll.  If you want more flavor take a small can of tomato pesto sauce.  It’s fantastic and super rich(lots of oil and cheese).

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

If you like sardines, check these out.  They are quite likely the best sardines you will ever taste, at least out of a can.  Fresh sardines are a whole other story, and thread.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A bump to the coconut powder mentioned on page 1. Use this instead:

It has 3 ingredients and no lactose added. Much cleaner. Find it in 6 packs on Amazon.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That coconut milk powder looks like a great choice. How does it dissolve in cold water? The Thai stuff I get takes considerable shaking/stirring.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It dissolves really well. You will get some lumps, however when I use it I add water slowly, and dissolve in a smaller amount. My youngest son lives off the stuff (he has severe allergies).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Great info. Thanks!

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Just curious, the packaging instructions call out hot water to dissolve the powder, but since this is a no cook thread I am assuming it dissolves really well in cold water as well?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You just gotta shake harder and longer is all ;-)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Sarah!!

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Just tried a very mild canned fish from from Wild Planet called “wild yellowtail”. It was totally boneless and skinless in olive oil. I liked it it. I can see a can of it coming with me on my next trip.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The Wild Planet products are well worth the $. Good stuff~

Tim R
    Spectator

@tenmiletim

Three hours before dinner I put a Mountain House meal and cold water in a screw top plastic jar; shake well and dinner is ready when I make camp. After dinner I rinse the jar and drink the rinse. Before bed I add cold water and instant coffee so my coffee is ready in morning. It hasn’t killed me yet. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools