Topic

Newbie to BPL but not UL Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Newbie to BPL but not UL Backpacking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Hi guys! Just joined because I finally realized that none of my friends want to discuss the difference between Argon 67 and Argon 90 for hours on end. I don’t know why but they’re just not interested. ;) ;)

Anyways, excited to look around on the site but have a question, I keep hearing about BPL gear. Where is the online shop for BPL gear?

A bit about me… I’m a petite park ranger that is tired of getting bivy sacks that will fit a 6ft 2in Marine. I figure, when I cut a foot off of a bivy, I must lose at least an ounce or two! ;)

My base weight for temps down to about 40 is just over 7 lbs for my ground set up. Working to get lower without sacrificing comfort. I’m always cold so have to compensate for that. Also have a UL hammock set up.

Looking forward to perusing BPL!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome!

There was a gear shop years ago. No longer.  Where have you been hearing about it?

Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

I’ve just seen some of the threads in the forums mention BPL gear and I couldn’t find a link so thought I’d ask…

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Welcome Larin always good to have new experienced voices on here.  Where are you a park ranger?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hey Larin! Welcome! I’m curious where you work as well.

So which do you like better, Argon 67 or 90? My HG Burrow 20° is Argon 90 because it seems more durable over the long term but a friend is making me an Apex summer quilt soon and he’s ordering 67 for that. My thought was that I won’t use that quilt as much and it’s not going to leak feathers if I get a little rip.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Welcome aboard… one more curious about where you are stationed?

Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

RE: Argon. I don’t know yet which I prefer. I’m considering having Borah Gear make me a bivy but haven’t decided which one… as stated, I’m tiny and generally do not sweat very much. I have a BG eVent Bivy and love it but it is quite heavy so better to use in the winter or very rainy season w/ a small tarp maybe.

So I’m having trouble deciding if I want an Argon side zip bivy or just the bug bivy… I do poncho/ tarp sometimes so a bug bivy might not be a good idea. That said, most of the time, I’m in desert conditions where it rarely rains…

I’m currently at Pecos Natl Historical Park. I work at different parks every season though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools