Topic

New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I did remove the thumb loop ring and didn’t have any more success keeping it from leaking.    Not sure I want to remove any material from the cap.

The 2L seeker is working great with it though.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Just got back from a 5 day trip in Virginia around Humpback Rocks on the AT.  I used the Katadyn BeFree filter with the Hydrapak 2L seeker.  I also took along a 1L aquafina bottle for clean water.  I would filter into the 1L and keep that in my pack side pocket for quick access, but would also fill up the 2L as necessary for camp or longer stretches between water sources.  Then I would filter into my clean water bottle as needed.

-BeFree did not clog up on me.  It was flowing just as fast on day 1 as on day 5.  Granted, I was mostly pulling from springs and creeks though.

-I found this system to be extremely convenient.  The wide mouthed and flexible seeker was easy to use to get water from seeps and shallow creeks.

-I just had to pay attention to the seeker water bag when filtering into my clean 1L bottle.  If the outside was wet with untreated water, it could drip into my clean water bottle.

-There is a chemical taste to water stored in the seeker bag.  This chemical taste dissipates with use.  By day 4, I was no longer noticing it.  I would recommend that anyone who purchases a new seeker clean the bottle with soap and water, then fill it with water and let it sit for a day, empty it, then repeat.  After a few days, the chemical taste should go away.

-I liked this better than either the Sawyer squeeze or the mini.  It works faster, its easier to clean the filter, and the wide mouthed seeker makes it easier to get water from the source.  I will continue to use this system.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ok people. I have to come clean on something. After my first filter failed the blow test I bought another. I used it for one weekend and then after I got home it failed the blow test as well!

I figured that either this is the most fragile filter ever or that I was missing something so I downloaded and read the instructions for the fourth or fifth time. This time I noticed a detail I’d missed earlier: the blow test only works with a wet filter.

Both of my filters pass the test when wet…

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

I was a bit annoyed about the chemical taste in the Seeker bags, so I did a quick bit of research on HydraPak’s website.  Under “Support>Care and Use”, the following can be found:
    <h5>Taste</h5>
    <h5>Some (ALL) users may (WILL) initially notice a (STRONG UNPLEASANT) plastic-like taste when using any of our products made with TPU. This taste typically subsides over time and can be eliminated by simply squeezing juice from a lemon into the product, filling it with water, and then freezing it. After frozen, remove, thaw, and rinse. </h5>
    So, the “Care Instructions” on the product description page should probably say that, instead of:
    <h2>Rinse before use.</h2>

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I just noticed that Platypus has come out with something similar to the BeFree, the Meta Bottle + Microfilter. It’s relatively heavy compared to the BeFree at 8.5 ounces, but the Meta Bottle appears to be more durable and easier to fill. There’s also dual use potential for the top half/lid of the bottle as a cup? Anyways, Platypus’ hollow fiber filter should flow easier and less likely to clog than Katadyn’s (and Sawyer’s), since it has a larger pore size (0.2 microns vs. 0.1 microns).

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Katadyn BeFree replacement filter + Hydrapak 2L Seeker = 2.9oz

I would recommend just buying the BeFree replacement filter at REI and skip buying the 600ml bag that comes with the BeFree.  There have been way too many reported failures with the 600ml flask just in our small sample here on BPL.

The flexible Seeker bag has a wide mouth and a flexible body that makes it very easy to fill.  The filter is super easy to clean by swishing it in water.  At questionable sources, it is very easy to use some pantyhose over the Seeker mouth as a prefilter.  The Seeker bag and BeFree filter can easily be set up as a gravity system.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

REI had the BeFree with .6L bag for half off so I ordered one.  Have not used it yet, but here are some numbers:

.6L flask – .83oz / 23.7g
    Cap safety ring (removed) – .02oz / .5g
    Blue rubber grip ring (removed) – .11oz / 3.2g
    Flip cap – .14oz / 4.0g
    Dry filter w/o above items – .96oz / 27.1g  (Wow!)
    Wet filter w/o above items – 1.39oz / 39.5g
    Flow rate when new – Awesome!

The threads on the cap are slightly finer than those of a Smartwater bottle.  A Smartwater flip cap would screw on and seal, but a Smartwater non-flip cap would not seal.  The instruction booklet still lists the three EZ-clean options, but the flask only shows two – shake and swish.  Yes, the .6L flask is really too small; I’ll have to get one of the seeker bottles.

I hope the long term reports on these are good.  The loss of flowrate of the Sawyer mini has been really frustrating.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I went 4 months without using my BeFree filter. During that time, the filter sat on my gear table. When I tested the filter last week prior to leaving for a trip, the flow rate was extremely slow (practically unusable). Doing a shake and swish did not help. I put the filter in a glass of water and let it soak for 24 hours and the flow rate returned to normal. It worked great for my 4 day trip

Something similar happened to a friend’s Sawyer filter when he stored it for several months. And he fixed it by soaking it in water. Just a heads up to test your filter after storage.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

John,

I had something similar happen with an idle Sawyer. Back flushing didn’t help; I could barely get the water to flow through. A soak in a vinegar/water solution did the trick. It seems there was mineral build up in the filter, which the vinegar cleared.

Now, my post trip routine (whether using a Sawyer or BeFree) involves flushing with water/bleach and water/vinegar. Before a trip, I check the flow rate, and if it’s been a while since I used it or if the flow is low, I repeat one or both of the flushes.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Where did you find the 1L seeker? I only see the 2 and 3 liters online…thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

SUNNY SPORTS 1 liter seeker bottle they are unfortunately out of stock at the moment but I got one there and also through Mass Drop.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I get that I’m posting this on BPL but if actually recommend the 2L or 3L over the 1L Seeker. It’s hard to fill the 1L bottle to the top and you can’t squeeze the last little bit out anyways. I filter into 1L Smartwater bottles which means I have to do two dips into the creek to fill my bottles.

I can weigh my 1 and 3L Seekers if that’s helpful to anyone.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Please weigh the 1L for us, would be helpful.

Has anyone found a plastic water bottle that works with the filter yet?

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

The 3L is listed at 3.3 oz, and the 2L is 2.7, so the 1L ought to be listed at 2.1 oz.   My 2L is 2.45oz (bottle and cap only), so it might come out to be a bit under 2oz.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

34.8 grams for the 1L Seeker on my scale. That’s without the cap. I don’t bring the cap because I’d just use the filter with it’s fliptop if I wanted to use it as extra carrying capacity.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David K,

Regarding your hydration tube setup….looks like you have the Sawyer Inline Filter Blue Adapter screwed onto the top of the BeFree Filter.

Two questions for you:

1. Where you able to drink easily with that setup (ie, did you have a good rate of flow)….putting dirty water in the Seeker Bladder and then sucking on the hydration hose to pull the dirty water through the filter
    2. Would it be possible to attach the Sawyer Coupling to the top of the BeFree, replacing your blue Sawyer inline adapter? (if this is possible, then it would be possible to attach a Platypus water bottle with clean water to the Coupler to back flush the BeFree without the need for carrying the Sawyer syringe.

Below is the link to the Coupler that I was talking about

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018NJC1A6/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B018NJC1A6&pd_rd_r=AJEWB25B8HHV6KC2QD21&pd_rd_w=KJCCd&pd_rd_wg=4uW9S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=CA11186Z08RM9H4YFDMH&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

Thanks for your feedback.

Tony

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

Yes – I can drink easily using the hydration hose and filter.  The flow rate has been great although I haven’t tried it with really dirty water.

Yes – the Sawyer Coupling should fit the top of the BeFree filter allowing you to connect a Platypus or Smart Water bottle to backflush the BeFree.  Although I don’t understand why people are asking about backflushing when all you have to do is swish the filter to backflush it.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David,

Appreciate your quick reply on my question.

Having used the Sawyer filter in one form or another since 2008, I have seen the rate of flow slow on these hollow fiber filters before.

So having the ability to back flush it is just my being cautious/paranoid.

I have a hard time just taking it on faith that swishing it in water would clear the filter after use in really mucky water.

Plus, I kinda want to see what this membrane is that is supposed to be around the filter material to help keep it clean.

Anyway, appreciate the info….think that I am going to eventually get one of these with the Seeker 2L bottle and give it a go.

Tony

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Cool – sounds good – I love my BeFree!  I think you will dig it.  :)

Mike N
    BPL Member

@yoboyobo

Amphipod Hydraform 16oz. 51g. Threading is slightly imprecise, but a simple push adjustment, before screwing on the filter, then a tight screw, creates a proper seal. So far, this is the extent of the trial.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

FYI – REI (online only) now has a 3 Liter Gravity Filter version of the BeFree.

• 3.5 ounces (bag + filter)
    • 3 Liter capacity
    • integrated handle/hang loop
    • pre-order ships in 30 days for $59.95

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Thanks for the heads-up Alex!  Anyone have thoughts on this vs the 3-liter Seeker?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Wow. I got really excited at first because I assumed it was open at the top which would make collection even easier. It’s still a nice setup but to David’s question, maybe not so different than the 3L seeker which you can easily hang from the integrated loops.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Not sure the handle adds anything.

Used the 3liter Hydrapak setup, thanks Doug, and it works just fine lying on its side as a gravity setup.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Just got back from an overnighter in Ranier NP carrying both the 1L BeFree with filter and the 3L Seeker with filter. Got to camp yesterday afternoon and filled the 3L and refilled the 1L. 1L continued to work like always, but for some reason the 3L’s output was reduced to a trickle, no matter how hard I squeezed. I shook it vigorously to clean the filter, tried blowing into the filter to ensure it was still good (couldn’t blow into it so it should have been okay), but still nothing but a trickle. No idea why.

This morning, tried it again (it still had plenty of water from the night before) and it was back to near normal with a nice, steady stream. There was no sediment/bugs/etc. in the water. Still wondering what caused the near trickle last night.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools