Topic

New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I just went to REI. I initially was going to just by the filter itself and the 3 liter Seeker. But I’m often too cheap, and so, after a while, decided to spend some of my dividend on both. After I took it out of the package, I had buyer’s regret on the bottle. I don’t know if I’ll ever use it. Maybe once or twice (to see if there is an advantage) but I doubt it will even make it to my day pack, let alone my backpack. It is very tiny. It works fine as a sip and go bottle, but then so does the Seeker. I also replaced the flip cap with a push-pull cap as Nick did. So basically, here will be my setup:

Seeker 3 liter bottle: 58 grams
    Filter: 44 grams (shaken dry)

This compares with:
    64 ounce Squeeze Bag: 38 grams
    Sawyer Squeeze Filter: 91 grams

Either way I have:
    Tornado Tube: 14 grams
    Push Pull Cap: 6 grams (the other cap was 5)
    Platypus: I forget (same either way)

Left behind:
    Seeker Cap — 12 grams
    Tiny BeFree bottle — 23 grams

I see no point in bringing the cap. There are times when I might fill both water blatters (my Platypus and the Hydrapak). This would be rare, but if I’m day hiking, I’m the one with the filter and we go to the top of a mountain, this would make sense. If that is the case, I still don’t need the other cap. The Platypus cap goes on Platypus, and the other (6 gram) cap goes on the filter which goes on the Hydrapak.

I think this system is a winner. It is lighter, yet is just as versatile as my old system, if not more so. Assuming it continues to flow really well, than it is better as a sip and go system (more per sip). If I need to carry dirty water, it is easier. I can fill up the Hydrapak, put the cap on, and push the push-pull cap closed. I could do the same with the Sawyer, but it was a bit unwieldy (tough to shove into the pack). More often than not, I put another cap on there, which is fine, but meant I had to remember to put the filter back on before taking a drink. This is just simpler. I can’t get confused, and there is one less step when it comes to drinking from the dirty container. This is pretty exciting, as it isn’t often I replace something that is part of my regular kit. Unless this wears out really quickly, this will be a huge improvement.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Lester, the befree although different is the same filter technology as the Sawyer and you cannot let it freeze. If so it would be compromised same as the Sawyers.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

This seems like a very interesting option. I’m thinking of carrying one of these up front on a couple of short 3 night trips in the Sierra. I’ll carry a 700 or 1000ml Smartwater bottle full of dirty water and use AM tablets as a backup.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Matthew,

You mentioned that you’d carry a Smartwater bottle with dirty water. Note that the BeFree won’t connect to a Smartwater bottle. So far as I know, it’ll only connect to bottles made by Hydrapak. My attempt to use it with a Gatorade bottle failed, for instance.

You could, however, use it to squeeze water into the Smartwater bottle.

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

@Jim Or Matt can just pour dirty water from Smartwater bottle into the flask, although I prefer a Platypus/Evernew for packing extra dirty water when necessary.

For those looking for a bigger flask, I’m sure the Hydrapak 750mL soft flask will fit the BeFree filter.  There’s a possibility that the Hydrapak 1L Stash will also fit the BeFree filter – I’ll try to remember to test this next time I’m at REI, but you won’t be able to twist-collapse the Stash with the filter on.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I read some bad reviews about a plastic taste from the hydrapak bottles.  Anyone had that issue with the Seeker series?

My seeker 3L with the befree doesn’t seem to have this problem, however I’ve only tested it in the kitchen.  Not sure if time and sun exposure would make it worse.  ie. If someone kept it in a backpack side pocket all day hiking in the hot sun.

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

I haven’t noticed any plastic taste after about a week’s use using water from tap, river, springs, and lake.  But I haven’t had the same water sitting in it for more than about 8 hours or so at the most – maybe old water would get a plastic taste?  Most outdoor water through the filter tastes better to me than tap water (exception being small creek water that still tastes like dirt).

I wrote to Katadyn about which of their bottles/flasks would fit the BeFree filter.  They responded:

“The 750 SoftFlask and 750 Stash bottle will both work with that filter.  It is also compatible with our new Seeker containers.”  I had specifically asked about the 1L Stash, so it sounds (and looks) like the 1L has a wider opening that doesn’t fit.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

For no rational reason I prefer transparent bottles so, for that reason, I’m out (Shark Tank line) on the Hydrapak 3 liter and will be returning it to REI.

I don’t see any good reason to do the following but in the interest of idea flow here’s an idea:  One could cut off the bottom of the 1+ pint bag that comes with the Befree filter and use it simply as a funnel to pour dirty water through this  free flowing filter….from any container into any container.  Perhaps it could be called the funnel filter…….or better yet, Daryl’s funnel filter. .

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

Just a heads up for those interested.  Sportsman’s Warehouse seems to have the Hydrapak 1L Seeker in stock (as well as the 3L).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I picked one of these up and I’m extremely impressed with the flow rate.

I don’t think I can live with the soft bottle format, however. I don’t like it in my MLD bottle pocket, hanging from a carabiner from my shoulder strap or in the side pocket of my bag. All of these work when the bottle is full but at half full it becomes a weird sloppy mess.

:(

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

.SUNNY SPORTS has all three sizes in stock

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

What about 3D printing an adapter for a Gatorade bottle to Befree threading? I’m too lazy to get off the couch to verify this but I think the filter element would fit into a Gatorade bottle.

The beauty of the Sawyer filters are the standard threading. This proprietary threading is bumming me out.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

Heads up!

I bought a replacement befree filter and a softflask 750.

While the threading fits, it does not fit tightly.  Water leaks out between the threading when squeezing or inverting.

Not sure if I have defective threading on one or the other item.  The cap that comes with the softflask does not leak.

Has anyone had similar problems with the seeker 3L or any other hydrapak bottle that is supposed to work with the befree?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Seeker 3l seems like a good fit for me.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

Mike, I had the same issue trying to connect the befree filter to my ultimate direction body bottle + bottle. Kind of unbelievable to me that they wouldn’t just stick with the same threads as the popular hydrapack made bottles already on the market. The seeker and be free .6L bottles both fit the filter perfectly. Had the befree with .6L bottle and 3 L seeker out for a long weekend of backpacking and was really happy with them. Both my hiking partner and I, who’ve used the sawyer squeeze filter for years agreed that this setup was way better. With abundant snow melt, we never had to carry water, but could fill and drink quickly on the go. At camp the 3L seeker was perfect for cooking, and drinking water for the evening and next morning. Really happy with this new system. Seems like it would be easy to use the seeker with a hydro hose attached to the filter if you backpack in places without much water, too.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

Just a quick update – I’ve now used my Befree for a total of 7 hiking days and about 130 miles in the Sierra near Tahoe and I do not notice any degradation from its original awesome flow rate (although I haven’t done any specific testing).  Many of the PCT thru hikers I was hiking with were amazed by the flow rate and were considering switching from the sawyer mini and full size.  A nice 1L bag would make the system perfect IMO.  With respect to freezing, it seems easy to empty quite a bit of water out of the filter by unscrewing the top and shaking the filter so maybe that will make freeze damage more difficult.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

FYI – I just spoke to Hydrapak and they have the 1L, 2L and 3L Seekers all in stock.  You can buy direct from them and the shipping for a single bottle is just $3.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I used the BeFree filter over a 5-day trip. Packed in two 3L Seeker bags. It was very convenient to use, filtering water for 2 people and 1 dog

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Long(ish) term reports sound promising so far.   Any other comments about the floppiness of the 3L seeker container compared to a platy?

I was planning to keep in the side pouch….and wondering if it would be a hassle.  Guess I should get off my butt and test it out….

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

Well I thought I found my ultimate solution by using a Sawyer adapter to add a hose to a 3L seeker with the BEFREE filter.  Then I realized after trying it that with no way to connect a hose to the filter to the bottom of the bag it will only work if I put the Seeker upside down in my packs side pockets.  Bummer.  But his would be a great gravity filter setup!

Peter H
    BPL Member

@stickler64

Locale: Sacramento

Just picked one up. This will eliminate my need for a gravity system. For that reason alone, it’s a game changer. But, it will definitely keep me more hydrated. I’m lazy, I don’t like to stop mid-hike and bust out the filtering kit. This will allow me to dip and sip without even taking off my pack. Brilliant!

The 3L seeker is too large for my needs. I rarely, if ever, carry more than 2 liters. I realize I don’t have to put 3L in the seeker, but it looks like it would be kind of unwieldy when half full. I’ll probably get two 1L seekers and use the little on my shoulder strap. Love the flow rate. Happy!

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

The Seeker is now available on Massdrop in all three sizes.

The prices are $12-14.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

One REI seeker reviewer(the only one) complains the taste of the water is bad with the seeker.  Anybody agree/disagree?  Might make the plunge for the new Befree filter/ seeker combo

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

1L Seeker arrives tomorrow and I’ll be testing it on a several night trip next weekend filtering into a Smartwater bottle like I have always done with my Sawyer. I’m hoping the increased flow and easy cleaning will make this combo a winner. ::fingers crossed::

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

If anyone has both a BeFree and a Sawyer “black water bottle” filter, how would you compare the flow rates?  Stats?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools