Topic

New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Anyone see these new katadyn befree filter bottles?  Not sure what to make of this.  2oz, and doesn’t require backflushing?  .6L bottle is too small for me, maybe the top will thread onto a smartwaterbottle?  Flow rate seems just ok.

Would be nice to see an improved replacement for the sawyer mini.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I see the bottle is made by Hydrapak. It looks like this might for the 750mL flask or bottle, but not the 1L bottle, since that uses a wider opening.

On the REI site, it says it’s rated at 1,000 liters. At 6L/day, that’s 166 days, which should last a couple of years (if you get out more days that that per year, I’m jealous!). Replacement filters are $25.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

I’m interested, but the instructions on the back of the bottle (as soon in the images) shows that one of the cleaning steps is to back flush it.

Still, pretty interesting.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Looks like it could be a good product. If the flow rate is fast, I could see it being useful in areas with lots of water – just fill the bottle, screw on the lid, and drink. I’ve done such “on the go” filtering with my Sawyer Squeeze, but found the flow rate to be too slow for me

REI says it uses a 43mm wide-mouth opening, so not sure what other bottles it would fit. 0.6L is quite small. Anyone have any idea how long the Hydrapak soft bottles last?

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

@John, I wondered about the durability myself. I looked from some YouTube videos on Hydrapak products, Whatever their bottles are made out of, people seem to be pretty happy with them.

The reason I found them interesting is because I typically use chemical treatments, but as we all know, that takes some time. .6L is probably large enough to occupy my thirst while waiting the 30 minutes.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

I purchased some Hydrapak Softflasks when they were on Massdrop a short time ago. I haven’t had them long enough to really test their durability, but so far, so good. However, I haven’t used them for backpacking; I use them mostly for going to the gym.

Backpacking, I like to use a Smartwater bottle, which I can easily slide in and out of the side pockets in my pack, without removing the pack or needing a hand from a hiking partner. I wouldn’t be able to do that with a Hydrapak, since it is not rigid and collapses as you drink from it. So keep that in mind if you intend to sip from the filter, rather than use this to squeeze water into another vessel.

REI does list it as a 43mm lid; Hydrapak has other products with a 42mm lid. I wonder if they really differ by 1mm, or if REI is a little off and the filter would fit there other bottles/flasks. I suspect the latter. The largest size this would fit, then, would be the 750ml hydraflask. The 1L bottle has a larger lid.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I’ve been a big fan of the soft bottles for using with a vestpack for longer trail runs. I’ve used one with a straw and sawyer squeeze, but the setup made for an awkward fit in the vest pouch and the flow rate was not great. I picked one of these up yesterday and it seems to fit the bill quite well. The flow rate is excellent, making it a great option for grab and go hydration. Its also fast enough to down a bottle, refill and be on your way without hassle. Only downside is that the bottle tends to fall to the bottom of the pocket as it empties. I usually use these bottles with a straw, since it makes makes for easier access and keeps the bottle from folding over itself.

I’ve had good luck with the durability of soft bottles, except that with some chipped teeth, I’ve managed to puncture a couple of the bite valves. This one doesn’t have a bite valve though, so durability should be fine for using with a vestpack. I’d be less likely to use this for backpacking because of its small capacity, and I don’t think the soft bottles work as well in side pockets. I wish more backpacks (fastpack style or otherwise) came with nice stretch mesh shoulder strap pouches. If they did, than this would be a close to perfect hydration option (not withstanding any clogging issues that could happen with some use).

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Serge,

Do you have a 750ml or 500ml Softflask? If so, would you mind checking if the filter fits them? The cap for the 750 and 500 are the same, so if it fits one, it fits both.

Regarding shoulder strap pouches, you may want to look at what Elemental Horizons sells: pouches that can be added to the shoulder straps of many backpacks.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Hi Jim, I have this ultimate direction branded soft flask . Unfortunately, I just checked and the threads don’t quite match, despite being nearly identical. Might be work for the hydraflask branded ones, but I’d write their CS and email to be sure. It would be real dumb if it didn’t fit.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I bought one of these filters as well. Flow rate seems quite good. With very light squeezing of the soft bottle, the flow rate of the BeFree is probably 2-3 times faster than my Sawyer-gravity-setup (who knows how this will change long-term). I can drink from the filter completely normally, with no sucking or notice of delay. The biggest downside is the small size of the soft bottle. Here are some wet weights I measured after trying it out:

Weight of bottle (wet): 23g

Weight of filter (wet): 46g

The spec’d weight is 65g, so weight is spot-on

If the flow rate is slow, the instructions suggest to do ONE of the following to clean the filter:

Shake the bottle with fresh water

Swish the filter (the dirty part) around in some water

Backflush: unscrew the top cap and run the filter under a faucet or treated water

Here’s the big bundle of hollow fibers you see when the cap is unscrewed:

Edit for update: I timed myself with the BeFree and get 20 seconds for 500mL of water with little effort. That is much faster than my Sawyer setup, but YMMV as always

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Looks pretty good. Personally I was really dissapointed with the Sawyer’s and their flow rate, so if this is potentially a couple of times better I’ll take the plunge on it soon.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

At 2.3 oz , if it lives up to its claims, it makes a lighter option for those disappointed with the sawyer mini and currently using the squeeze even for filling separate clean bottles. I usually carry the 1 liter bladder with my squeeze but if the flow rate is better filling the smaller bladder a couple times to fill a soda bottle is no big deal. For those who have one of these, please keep us posted on performance and if you find an optional bottle that mates to it and still works good in BP side pockets.

thanks for posting, jimmyb

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

John,

You were able to rig the BeFree into a gravity filter? Would you mind posting pictures and/or a description of how you did this? It sounds intriguing.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

No, I did not rig the BeFree in a gravity setup. The flow rate of the BeFree is so fast as-is, I don’t think a gravity setup is necessary

I do have my Sawyer filter rigged in a gravity setup though. And compared to my Sawyer-gravity-setup, the BeFree filter is about 2-3 times faster (when lightly squeezing the soft bottle). I edited my other post to help clarify

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I sent Katadyn an email about other compatible bottles and received a helpful reply. Here is the list I got of compatible soft bottles/flasks (all from Hydrapak):

SpeedFlask – 300ml

UltraFlask – 450ml

UltraFlask XL – 600ml

Seeker – 2L and 3L

Stash 750ml

SF350ml, 500ml and 750ml

I see the 3L Seeker on REI. It’s listed at 2.1oz and the description specifically mentions it is compatible with the BeFree filter. I don’t see the 2L version anywhere yet

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Talked to Katadyn rep just now and they are planning on a 1 lt. bottle next year. As John mentions there are options for bigger flasks that will mate with the filter. REI sells just the filter if you don’t want to spend the $10 on the .6 lt. flask.

The rep also says NOT to back  flush the filter by forcing water from the clean side to dirty, even under a faucet. She said it could damage the filter. Pressure from squeezing water from the dirty side to the clean side, like using a sawyer, is fine. Not sure why that would be the case so please don’t shoot the messenger.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The rep also says NOT to back  flush the filter by forcing water from the clean side to dirty, even under a faucet. She said it could damage the filter.

That’s weird. Katadyn might want to update their instructions then:

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Interesting.

I wish REI carried the 2L  Seeker, but even the 3L seeker mated to the “BeFree Replacement Filter” sounds like it might be a faster, lighter choice than what I have now:  The Sawyer Squeeze and a 2L Evernew bladder.

I’m doing a 6-person group trip in September.  Tempted to burn some money on this.

The one downside is 1,000L vs 1,000,000 gallons (aka about 3,780,000 liters)

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Eh, it’s still not all that bad. :)

I average a liter per 5 miles, so one filter would last years for backpacking. If I used one for daily drinking out and about, it’d last nearly a year. I guess mileage might vary depending on the individual, but I think Sawyer’s 1,000,000 gallon claim is marketing spin. Unless my math is wrong, you’d have to use a Sawyer 2700 years at a gallon a day before you hit a million gallons.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

That’s weird. Katadyn might want to update their instructions then:

Agree John, that is if the information I was given was accurate. The directions are a little vague maybe but it does say to unscrew the filter and that hints that you need to get at the bottom of the filter to flush it. It also mentions running the water over the filter membrane, which again I have to assume is the bottom. If the information IS accurate it would be better described as flushing, NOT backflushing and the labeling should definitely be reworked. If I have some time later I will shoot of an email inquiring again on this. They may want to be sure of their statements in writing as apposed to comments on the phone. Not implying any deception on the reps part. I just think a little more due diligence on my part might be prudent.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I used one of these on an overnight this week and really liked it. Fast flow rate and easy to fill. Much more convenient than the Steripen I usually use. I’ll have to see how it holds up over time.

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

I agree Jimmy. It would be better described as ‘rinsing’ since it sounds like no actual flushing should be attemped. Still, if it works as described then all’s good.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a filter/3 liter combo as posted.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Thanks for the info on compatibility, John. I think the .6 Katadyn and 2L seeker will easily make for a better system than the squeeze. To be clear, I think the soft bottles will work fine in side pockets, I would just use a little more care than say a nalgene, since I tend to put things like tent stakes in my side pockets. I also just think the front bottle pocket is the best way to carry water for easy accessibility and refills. Man, gear is so good these days, its made backpacking easy.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I’m interested in pairing this with a 3L Seeker as well but…why is the Seeker not on the Hydrapak website?  It seems only Rei and a few other retailers carry it?  I can’t seem to find any reviews despite it debuting at OR 6 months ago.  Any issues with the product?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools