Topic

New bear canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New bear canister

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I am confused by what you are saying Jon.  Are you saying Ultem won’t work 3D printed?  It seems like a material that is used more and more often in 3D printing….  I agree with you about the strength, this design has failure written all over it.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Filament based 3D printing works by extruding a bead of molten plastic out to form the shape (basically a line).  Subsequent layers are stacked upon each other.  When using a low melt point material like polyethylene (Melt point ~100 C), the new material that you are adding can remelt the base material (a bit) allowing the layers to stick together.  In reality, you are forming a cold weld joint.  The bigger the piece, the longer the lower layer has to cool off.  The overall strength of the part will never be as strong as a molded part of the same material.

When you print with Ultem, the melt point is up around 350 to 400 C.  I suspect that the cold weld aspect is even worse due to the high melting point.  There are 3D Specification for Ultem part strength but there are lot of gaming that goes on the meet those specs.  Not only that, but 3D printed parts tend to degrade over time.

Additionally, if it really did work, there is nothing from having this guy build and test a prototype part (or even test samples).  It is a cheap way to demonstrate a proof of concept.  Instead, in his proposal, he has included a line item for 3 CreatorBot 3D Pro Series printer.  IMHO, this sub $3k toy will not do the job.  If he wants to convince people that the idea is sound, he should step up and have a part built.  This is all smoke and mirrors at best.

Molded Ultem 1000 – tensile strength – 16,500 psi (http://www.boedeker.com/ultem_p.htm)

Printed Ultem 1010 XZ axis -9,300 psi  / ZX axis 6,100 psi (http://usglobalimages.stratasys.com/Main/Files/Material_Spec_Sheets/MSS_FDM_ULTEM1010.pdf?v=635832690613761752)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’ll believe it when I see a video of a disappointed grizzly throwing in the towel after wrestling with it for an hour.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Actually, I believe that this canister will prove quite popular… with the bears.  ?

HJ

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

The company released this statement today.

We have our first production prototypes manufactured and the basics ready to set up our manufacturing line. We will continue fundraising next month on Kickstarter to meet our 35k fundraising goal and over the Winter to fulfill orders by June 2017.

I hope they release a video soon showing their prototypes.  I think a demonstration of the prototype will go a long way to convincing people of the product’s viability (or show that it’s really not viable).  I join in people’s skepticism, but I am optimistically skeptical.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

This is ridiculous. If the intention is a 3d print production, they only need to print and machine a few to completely take the item through all phases of testing and approvals. That is largely the reality of current technology 3d printing: rapid and inexpensive prototyping.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

It would be nice to get them to show up here and answer some question. Not sure how, as I said no answer to my email. Maybe I will try again.

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Cut and paste from Reddit four days ago:

Hi. This is Brett from Hunny.

We just put a note on the FAQ Page with the current project status.

I am going to be completely frank and honest with everyone, this hasn’t been easy. We’ve been experiencing delays because my dad thought we could print the prototype canisters through an aerospace vendor instead of purchasing the appropriate 3D printer (including labor we couldn’t afford the quote, because we didn’t meet our goal). The problem with that model is that aerospace parts take precedence for that vendor every day. Our part was the “cool side project” that they would do at a discount and get to eventually. Getting any product off the ground under $10,000 is a feat, the reality is the money that IndieGoGo raised didn’t stretch very far for a prototype.

I had to finally cut the relationship between Hunny and that vendor, and restructure the father-son ownership of the company. It’s a startup, there are bumps along the way, but I absolutely intend to continue this project… with consultation from my dad, but he unfortunately isn’t going to be a big part of the business anymore.

We’re negotiating with a new vendor based in California and also seeing if a local University’s 3D lab will help us out.

I’m confident that we will have a canister to certify, but to echo some of the other people on here, our specific timeline is to get 18 prototypes ready by certification season, use 3-5 for the actual certification, distribute the rest to the volunteer field test team, and once it is certified use funds raised in the interim to manufacture the production canisters. June 2017 is when these are scheduled to ship.

If we cannot, for any reason, get this project off the ground by June 2017 and you were an early backer who wants a refund, I will personally refund you. I’m already financially secure, this has never been about money for me. This is about supporting the backpacker community. I’ve been approached by the “As Seen on TV” people and Adventure Capitalists in the last two months about the brand, but I don’t want what is a very simple design and product to get out of my control and turn into an overpriced tool. There’s already an economic elitism that exists in the outdoors world- not everyone can spend $20 on a fancy water bottle or $500 on a backpack. A bear can is so basic to the outdoor experience, especially in California, that it should be the most cost-effective piece of equipment.

PS: please don’t stalk me and post personal info here… luckily it is outdated, but seriously that’s weird guys and I think it’s against Reddit’s rules. If you want to talk to me shoot me an email at [email protected]. If you’re based in the Salt Lake Area, email me and I’d be happy to meet.

Sincerely-

Brett

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Sooo was looking for an update and see the website has changed a bit from the end of last year; also the specs seem to be different than what I remember “24 ounces (16 ounce frame, 4 ounces per lid)
    Volume: 5 qts., at most it looks and if my math is right 288cu.

Kind of wondering how this is going to work out, I guess for a short weekend thing, but I would have a problem going from 700 to 280 at any weight savings. I guess Jon is a prophet.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looks like I’ll be adding this thread to the failed canister collection. Think this makes four.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Obviously this is an engineering feat that is easier imagined than achieved. :^(

But it isn’t June yet… maybe a startling development in the next few weeks?

However it does remind me that I need to make that little mod to my BV450 that will defeat those genius bears in the eastern Adirondacks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

“However it does remind me that I need to make that little mod to my BV450 that will defeat those genius bears in the eastern Adirondacks.”

Bob – Is your lid a “two button” model?  What modification will you be making?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Greg, yes mine is the two-button (or ratchet?) version.

My plan is to drill a hole through the edge of the lid and the flange and install a blind nut (also called a T nut) and a bolt. The idea is to heat up the blind nut so that it melts into the polycarbonate.

I’ll do a post in MYOG with some pictures when I get around to it, which should be fairly soon. I have a buddy who is anxious to do a trip up there… it’s a race against the bugs, lol. Usually I go up there only in the winter.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Pretty much the same specs as the Bare Boxer.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Pretty much the same specs as the Bare Boxer.

+1

Aerogel, the next frontier!

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Even if they get their canister approved by Yosemite and Seki, they’re now making their canister too small for almost any trip that I take. It’s no longer very light, and it’s no longer practical. They had big dreams, but were unable to deliver on their hype.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools