Topic

Neoair Uberlite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoair Uberlite

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The Uber looks intriguing.   For kicks I compared it size large to my Prolite size small.

Weight is the same and only -4 in R value but is full length and 25” wide.

(sigh)

I may pick one up this spring after the initial feeding frenzy is over.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan probably had one on preorder from the factory :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“I was going to say possibly residual moisture, but I always blow mine up by mouth????”
    I’ve never blown mine up by mouth – too worried it might freeze on me on a really cold trip and wouldn’t be able to blow it up. I did buy it used though so who knows. I just weighed it now after 5 (?) years and it’s slightly lighter – down to 17.18oz.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

an oddity :)  I never gave it much thought as I mentioned above, all of my Neoairs have been lighter than what they spec’d- I’ll be disappointed if I get one that is over!

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I think that Thermarest is a great company with great products, and applaud their constant innovation. However I would caution the inexperienced buyer that an R value of 2 is a big drop from the R3.2 of the XLite and the R3.9 of the women’s XLite. As a cold sleeper I don’t think that R2 would be enough for me, and increasingly when I am unsure of the weather I don’t even think twice about packing the R5.7 XTherm instead.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I would think that an R-value of 2 would be fine for most of us during the “summer” – say, July 4 to mid-August in “most” of the CONUS.

R2 should be OK down into what, ground temp of mid-30s?

Count me in for an Uberlite! The comfort:weight ratio is just too irresistible considering the number of nights I spend sleeping on the ground* during this time period.

*Hammock campers: settle down.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Here is one data point from a warm sleeper

Using a quilt and balaclava each insulated with 6oz/yd Primaloft 1 and gen 1 std length neoair (R3.2?)  on dry ground in the upper midwest I would consistently start feeling chilled at about 30F … and the chill was felt from below.

As always, YMMV.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

interesting- thanks!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

After my daughter’s inflatable blew this summer—and we had ccf as backup—i decided I always want a ccf layer. So Uber + GG thinlight and call it good. Comes out about the same, except for the money part.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Using a quilt and balaclava each insulated with 6oz/yd Primaloft 1 and gen 1 std length neoair (R3.2?) on dry ground in the upper midwest I would consistently start feeling chilled at about 30F … and the chill was felt from below.

Your choice in campsite can influence how cold the ground is for a given sleeping pad.  With my foam pad setup with an R just over 2, I can normally camp down to at least 20F without any issues with being cold from the ground in my 20F quilt, balaclava, and UL bivy sack.  And yet, there was one time in Maine off the AT, where the temperature was at least high 30’s F if not low 40’s and yet the ground felt frozen and I resorted to sleeping on my extra gear/clothing to stay warm.  To this day, I’m convinced that there was water moving underground near the surface that was stealing all the heat that should have been building up under me.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Is this supposed to be a noisy or quiet new pad?

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Is this supposed to be a noisy or quiet new pad?

From a video review on TheTrek.co, it’s suppose to be quieter than the neoair.  But that only says it isn’t as noisy, not that its actually quiet.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ve never found any of my Neoair pad very noisy- maybe I sleep like a baby :)

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’ve never found any of my Neoair pad very noisy- maybe I sleep like a baby :)

When I became a parent, this phrase meant you woke up screaming every few hours and pooped your pants.  :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ :D

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Well for sure I am an unusually cold sleeper, and I start to notice less than maximum comfort with the R3.2 XLite around 36F. This problem would only be worse with a quilt. This is one reason many people use the women’s XLite with the R3.9 value. If an R2 pad and 30F bag works for some people, good for them!

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The Uberlite may be one of those things that is better in theory than practice, or at least most practice.

I’m just not certain dropping 3.2 oz’s / R1.2 / 15D Fabric / $179 is a worthwhile trade-off when going from an already purchased XLite @ 12 oz / R3.2 / 30D Fabric.

I applaud Thermarest for pushing the envelope here, but like a lot of UL kit, it might just be too much (or too little) of a good thing.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Bradmacmt, Yes, I agree. The trade off between the old original NeoAir and the newer Xlite was not a good one. The old one lasted a LONG time (~5 years at around 60 nights per year) till it finally started ballooning. The Xlite never ballooned, but the durability was not the same. Their replacement leaked like a sieve after only two years. (The bottom side had multiple leaks in different areas which I simply chalked up to wear and tear…about 100-140 nights on it.) Now the Uberlite is 15D? I am loosing interest and looking elsewhere for durability. This might be a good option for some, for the month and a half it would be usable, but I believe I will pass. The extra 1oz I needed to carry was not worth the loss in reliability/durability on the trail (NeoAir Medium/13oz, Xlight/12oz.) I fear the lighter fabric will not fare as well (already at questionable utility) for about a 3.2oz difference.

There really needs to be an improvement in overall materials and design. They really need improved materials to increase overall abrasion resistance. Perhaps the same 30D fabric for the bottom and lighter 15D on top? Or laminating wear strips to the bottom? Or, using an Xframe type design with fewer holes covered with UV reflectors? Anyway, not my job. Let them figure a better way, but simply going lighter with existing materials technology will likely not work all that well. But, this is a guess…if it works well after a few years, I might get one, despite the R value loss. As long as I stay around 8-11 pounds for a three season kit, I can handle it.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks James.   That’s some real food for thought and a real concern.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My “original” 2011 Neoair is still going strong. But it’s a size Large at 17.2 oz’s / R2.5, which led me to buying the XLite size Regular, losing 5.2 oz’s and gaining R 0.7. Seemed a good trade-off for $ expended. Rather than the Uberlite, more likely my next Neoair purchase will be an XTherm for my cold weather pursuits.

However, thinking it over, my R2.5 Neoair has worked well enough generally, so I can’t fathom losing an additional R 0.5 will make a significant difference. So, I suppose, switching from a significantly heavier mattress, the Uberlite might be the right purchase for many folks.

I’ll be awaiting feedback late this year after others have used it for a season…

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

With an R of 2, the Uber is in the same ballpark as the uninsulated Exped AIRMAT HL M.

The Exped is 60 grams heavier, but uses their proven 20d fabric top and bottom, is quiet and a touch thicker and wider, has what should be a more reliable valve, and is half the price. (For another 55 grams you can upgrade to the Exped SYNMAT HL M and boost the R to 3.3.)

As James points out, there may well be a reason why no-one has used 15D before, Given that they’re not claiming any new technology. It’s just an uninsulated mat with a very flimsy fabric at a very high price point. Is it worth the risk and expense to save 2oz over the stronger Exped? I’d certainly want to see the long-term reviews before dropping that kind of $$$.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m not sure I consider Expeds 20D fabric to be “proven”. I’ve had so many holes in my Expeds with that stuff. I keep using it because I like the shape of the pad, but I get way more holes than my wife on her NeoAir.

Thomas
    BPL Member

@thomas51

Locale: Rainy Pacific Northwest

I bought and tried out the NeoAir Uberlite from REI and I don’t like it:   1) As in side sleeping, as soon as I’m off the precise longitudinal centerline, the air below my body deflates and pops up over on the other side, and this elevation serves to propel me further off the Uberlite.        2)  When I change positions, my body and head bounces up and down for a little while and causes a little surge of sea sickness.  — I’m going to return it.   I bought a long regular Prolite (19 oz) because it doesn’t bounce, it inflates somewhat on it’s own, I don’t have to line it up with a GG thin pad underneath, and it’s more durable, and I attached Zpacks loops and hooks to keep my quilt attached to the prolite and not slip off during the night. BTW,  I also have the NeoAir XLite regular:  I’m not sure about that one; it sort of works for me, sort of doesn’t.  Anyone else with experience of the Uberlite?  Or are my concerns a bit inflated?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I have never had a hole develop in my Exped Synmat 7 UL. I like it because it is a rectangular shape, comfortable, super easy to inflate and deflate, and has a decent (2.9) R-value. Where I have had it fail is that one of the interior baffles ripped loose i nthe middle of the night, which caused a bubble/bump to form on the surface of the pad. I still slept that night once I rearranged my sleeping position, but the pad had to be replaced (Exped replaced it for free). Since then it’s been fine. But I would never use the pad outside of a tent, never place it directly on the ground.

Anyhow, the Exped uses 20 D fabric, top and bottom. I personally would not trust 15D (Neoair Uberlite for a sleeping pad.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Same for me – never had a leak with my Exped Synmat UL but have had failed baffles.  So I’ve abandoned Exped these days and moved on the the Sea to Summit Ether Light which was specifically designed to overcome the issue of baffle failure.

For some people I guess the low weight of the Uberlite will outweigh the low R, unreliability and discomfort.

I’ve realised that for me the greater reliability, comfort, warmth and ease of inflation of the Ether Light are worth the extra weight.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools