Topic

Neoair Uberlite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoair Uberlite

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

Saw this new product last night and I’m super pumped.

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2018/06/therm-a-rest-creates-lightest-sleeping-pad-yet.html

There’s more information available on other sites if you Google. The 3/4 length is 170 grams! I may need to purchase one when they come out. I would give up some R value to have a less noisy Neoair. I wonder if it is the same material as the Xlite or if it is a lower denier.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very cool. There is a video of it here:

YouTube video

I’m not sure if it is quieter though. Notice when the sales person smacks it at 0:26. There’s still a pretty good noise.

But the weight is awesome. This could be a great 2 season pad.

That packed size is unreal.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I like how, when they show the packed size next to a can of beer, the guy pauses a bit and says ‘can of coke’ instead. Made me smile.

I still don’t understand why Thermarest continues to refuse to make a regular-wide pad. I guess there’s just not enough of a market for them. Bummer for me.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The weight difference between Large and MW is so minimal.  Looking at other manufacturers like Big Agnes and Exped the difference is often less than an ounce.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That’s very true. But I’m a petulant American (is there any other kind…), i want what I want.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Thermarest is so adept at taking my money. Once my Xlite large goes kaput, I suppose they’ll get $200 more. That packed size is phenomenal.
    Ryan

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

$200 for this and then another $200 since I’ll need a smaller pack.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Already have a small pack, the size is VERY attractive…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Fred Kelly.
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You can bet it’s made with a 20 denier. Too thin for me. The 30d on the X-lite is thin enough.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

metric conversion

47 x 20 = 6 ounces

72 x 20 = 9 ounces

77 x 25 = 12 ounces

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Hendrik Morkel is recollecting that the material is 10D. Uhhhhhhhhh I hope not.10D, no matter how it’s treated is not a reasonable pad material, especially for my fat ass.

See the comments section.

YouTube video

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Scary but awesome. Exped has been using 15D for a while – of course I’ve put many holes in it.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Dan,

You want to make something else awesome? A sleep pad. Make it 30D top and bottom, Rvalue of 2.4, 45 to 50in long. Give it dual tapers, 25in wide narrowing to 19in wide. Have it taper in thickness from 2.75in to 1in.

The 2 Rvalue can be attained like Thermarest is doing with this uberlite.

Like a GG airbeam wide, but warmer.

This would be the forever greatest pad.  ;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah that would be awesome. If it works out to keep making gear, I’d like to do a pad eventually because I think what’s out there isn’t very clever.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

<span class=”profile-data”>@dandydan</span>

Can you confirm how long ago Exped used 15d on the sleep mats? I just looked and I think they’ve gone back up to 20d on their lightweight line.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

So when is this going to be available?  In time for the Labor Day sales and the 20% off any item coupons?  I could swap out my existing short neoair for a full length one for almost the same weight.  Might be nice to have for those shelter floors when I head out to the AT for a 3 week section in October.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Can you confirm how long ago Exped used 15d on the sleep mats?
    My mistake. I thought they were using 15D for lightweight mats such as the SynMat UL based on my recollection, but it’s probably been 20D all along. It’s definitely been lower than the 30D that Thermarest uses for their NeoAir for at least 5 years.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Until Thermarest come up with something like Exped’s Schnozzel bag,  if you’re inflating by mouth you can add about 2oz per year in moisture on the inside of the pad.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The NeoAir XTherm’s come with an inflation bag that works well.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Will Rietveld is reporting a 30D bottom, 15D top for the Uberlight. So no 10D. Probably wise.

https://ultralightinsights.blogspot.com/2018/07/outdoor-retailer-summer-market-2018.html

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Makes sense

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I wonder what the puncture resistance specs are between a 10d and 30d nylon of similar weaves.

Ryan

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Ralph said:

Until Thermarest come up with something like Exped’s Schnozzel bag, if you’re inflating by mouth you can add about 2oz per year in moisture on the inside of the pad.

Your comment made me curious–I just weighed my NeoAir XLite Short that I’ve been inflating by mouth for the last six years. It weighed in at 7.920 oz. Specified weight is 8.0 oz, but a cursory Googling suggests that the dry weight should be something like 7.65 oz.

So, perhaps something like 0.05 oz/yr?

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

You know….if you hang your inflatable with the nozzle open in a dry place the moisture will evaporate…..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools