Topic

MSP Core: gasifying wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSP Core: gasifying wood stove

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I got a new piece(s) of titanium from my brother for Christmas:

http://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/

I wasn’t in the market for a wood stove so I came here to read some learned opinions.  I was shocked to discover bpl didn’t have any posts on what the site claims is the Worlds #1 Best Selling Pack Flat Gasifying Wood Burning Backpacking Stove.  Perhaps posts disappeared in the transition to the new software?  There is an optional SHTF grill with snap out emergency parts (knife, fish hooks, and arrow heads) that I thought I have seen posted on here before.

Thus far I have only put it together.  A bit fiddly, but not overly complicated.  It’s a nifty stove, perhaps the Core 4 is bigger than many around here would use, but mine came with a triangular plate to make a Core 3 optional configuration.  The complete configuration I got (Core 4 Bio Reactor) weighs 8.7 oz and packs flat.  In the Core 3 configuration it weighs 4.1 oz.

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

I suspect that the favorite “gasifier” wood stove here might be something like a Trail Designs Sidewinder with the inferno add on. It looks a little fiddly, but less fiddly than the Core. It weighs about 1/3 what the Core weighs, and is multi-fuel. Bushbuddy/Solo style “gasifiers” are also pretty popular. A true gasifier mostly works by have a slow, smoldering initial combustion and having a chamber for a very hot secondary combustion – the Core stove is more like a rocket stove that also burns off woodgas. Its not clear that the gasifier feature in the Core buys you that much over the straight rocket stove mode.

Perhaps I’m being a little unkind, but the Core struck me as an overengineered, overhyped version of the Emberlit, QiWiz Firefly, Bushbox category of stoves. Among those flat pack, sheet metal kind of stoves, Bushbox Ultra seems more interesting due to its crazy low weight:

While the Magic Flame looks more convenient since it is hinged and you can just fold it up instead of having to disassemble it and get soot everywhere:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools