Topic

Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dan,

While I was (and am) *interested* in the system you have created, I will not be able to purchase it at this time.  Please give my spot to @karennrob (or whomever is ready to purchase).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok John, will give your spot to @karennrob

Ordering pots this morning due to add-ons.

Thank you to all that are participating.

Backpackinglight just gets lighter and lighter ;) and more compact.

gary gray
    BPL Member

@garylinngray

Is it still possible to order?  If not please put me on the waiting list,

thanks

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yes, gary gray you are on the go list :-)

The Caldera Cones arrived today(made in the usa), still waiting on the Toaks pots.(made in??) :-)

Spectator

@b-squared

Locale: Southeast

Dan- If you have more I’ll take one set. Or add me to your wait list.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok, we are good to go. Pots arrived this morning. The kits will be ready to ship tomorrow. Folks on the list will have their kit reserved for a reasonable length of time for payment to arrive (4 days)

Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle

Chris Chang
    Spectator

@digitalfuzion

Locale: Northern California

Hey Dan,

Made my payment this morning, a big thanks for putting this together!  Looking forward to receiving it and taking it out this weekend!

Chris

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just paid as well, looking forward to the stove kit!

Rob M
    BPL Member

@karennrob

Just paid as well  rmatthew   thanks again all

Greg Cullison
    BPL Member

@gcullison

Dan,

I just ordered a kit.  Thanks for putting it together for us.

Greg

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Greg and Rob and all who have purchased. :-)

I have some kits remaining, still time to order. Trail Designs and Toaks are leaders in their fields of suppliers to the backpacking world.

I received my handleless kit a little over a week ago. It really is a compact and efficient kit. The form factor is so appealing I want to keep using it- and err, stare at it.  Small and light enough to carry in my everyday bag. I know this will be all that is needed for Summer/Overnighter/Minimal Shoulder Season trips. I don’t need handles but am tempted to have another with handles as a “backup” or loaner for friends. It’s so easy and intuitive to use compared to a normal caldera cone that packs separate or even multi-piece cones. The BGET and Starlyte are both excellent stoves. This kit is so refined and spartan. The pot does look like it was originally manufactured with the ridge. Good Job Dan!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I have a few kits remaining. A long 3 day weekend coming up next week. Surprise someone with a nice lightweight gift ;)

<span style=”color: #0066cc;”>Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle</span>

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

• i just received my kit. Is the container on the left used to store the bget esbit stove? It seems a bit heavy and i plan to store stove pieces directly in the pot. What’s the smaller metal container on the right used for?
    Jerome H.
    BPL Member

@spambait11

The “smaller metal container” is the Mini Esbitmizer.

I’ll be going back to alcohol myself.

Great kit, Dan. Thanks again!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you for the link Jerome….

Jeff, I included one of those with about 1 dozen kits. I used to sell them but there are only a handful of esbit users out there. They were leftovers :-) better I give them away than pitch-em;) Try using the 4 gram tablets.

It’s nice to have your esbit tray in a storage container to keeps all those little crystals contained if you have leftover esbit remaining from your burn. Lots of folks out there whine about plastics having bpa and other stuff but never seem to think about what’s leftover from burning esbit. I would certainly use the storage container provided for the BGET even though it does weigh some grams ;)

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Dan,

Very nice kit. Have you ever considered making a similar kit with the 850 ml pot?

Thanks.

Mark

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Larger pot sizes push the capabilities of the Starlyte burners. If the burners are overfilled they will have a tendency to have fuel overflow the top of the burner due to expansion of fuel when heated. Over filled means you can see liquid fuel on top of the burner before lighting. It would be better to get a tall cone set-up from TD and store the cone upright in the pot and use their 12-10 stove/burner.

The Toaks “light” pots are much easier to put a ridge onto than the regular weight ones. You can view the Toaks pots that are designated as “light” here/link

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Locale: PA Wilds

Just placed an order.  Thanks Dan for putting this together.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Can’t help but wonder since this pot does not sit completely inside the cone if it still keeps the same heat efficiency benefits of the typical Caldera system. Or is the relatively small amount of water or pot surface area being heated of no consequence?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

“Or is the relatively small amount of water or pot surface area being heated of no consequence?”

I suspect that is the reason. We have to keep in mind also that hot air is rising up along  the outside walls as the water is being heated.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mark, Trail Designs did make a CALDERA UL COMPACT stove to fit the  MLD 850 pot,

Here is Ron’s Announcemnent from Aug. 2009, and Here is what it looked like and Nielsen Brown Outdoors said

It had been reported that the Compact caldera was less fuel efficient than the regular Caldera but still provided enhanced performance over a normal stand and windshield. On a recent trip I used the Compact Caldera and MLD pot and what follows are my impressions from this three day trip

Here is his Compact Ti Tri Caldera Inferno blog post( I have both the regular compact and Ti Tri  inferno compact.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Link, how is the pot supported in your regular compact cone and about how much of the pot is inside the cone? Do you use esbit or alcohol?

I can upgrade my equipment to put ridges on the heavier/larger pots but recommend the use of esbit as 1st choice of fuel.

I have 3 Toaks 550 w/handles kits availbale. When there gone, there gone ;)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The pot is supported in both versions of the UL Compact with tent stakes, you should be able to see it easily in the link I gave above to Guthhook Hikes blog there is a close shot of it and you can see the BPL stakes with the orange ends he also mentions using tent stakes(it is the word HERE highlighted in my post above) tent stakes are great to use since I have them with me anyway. I measure about 4.5 cm of the cup is sitting inside the cone, I use alcohol, it came with a gram cracker for esbit use but I never used it.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Link, I missed that link :(

This is something of interest about the pot handles not getting hot:

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

SALE HAS ENDED

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THIS UNIQUE KIT

DAN :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools