Topic

MLD Duomid vs Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tarp for September JMT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Duomid vs Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tarp for September JMT?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

I’m hoping to do the John Muir Trail in September (2017 or 2018).  I’m really debating between the Duomid (cuben) vs the Hexamid Solo Plus for the trip.  Mosquitoes are not a big issue in September, so I won’t be bringing a shelter with a net (to save weight).  In other words, if I opt for the Hexamid Solo Plus, it will be the tarp version without a net.  I have also considered the HMG Echo II tarp, but I’m not sold on the detachable beak and open foot end.  My concern there is wind-driven rain.  I also like that both the Duomid and the Hexamid only require a single trekking pole.

Several nights will be above tree line, so wind is always a potential issue.

Can people with first hand experience comparing these shelters share your opinions?  I’m sure I’d be fine with either, but I’m always looking for that item with a slight edge over the competition.  This will be my first tarp (or mid).  I’m coming from an REI quarterdome tent, and I’m looking forward to the weight savings!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I wassed happy with the Hexamid, but think I would have been even happier with a Doumid. Simply based on size, I was always short of space in the Hexamid and it was difficult to dry anything inside. The Doumid is just larger.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

You are correct that mosquitos won’t be an issue in September, so bug protection isn’t required.

The odds are strong that you will have excellent weather, but rain and snow can happen.  I’ve experienced both in September, but it will be short lived.

I normally use a cat. cut tarp in the Sierras with open ends though I do put some thought into where I camp.  I did use the Hexamid tarp for the Tahoe to Yosemite trail 3 years ago and it worked fine for the thunderstorms and hail I had.  Only went back to my MLD grace solo tarp as the Hexamid dimensions didn’t work well with my bivy sack that I wanted to keep useing since I mainly cowboy camp.

The duomid is overkill for what weather you’ll experience and weighs more. But I think it’s more durable and will handle snow better (planning on winter camping?).  The duo version of the mid is larger than the Hexamid plus, but do you need the room? Either shelter on your list will work. What shelter you pick should be based on where else you plan on using it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools