Topic

MLD Bug Bivy II

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Bug Bivy II

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Intriguing at seven ounces but I suspect there’d be some weight creep for me as I’d likely want to use an additional ground sheet under it.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/bug-bivy-2/

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Very interesting to compare side by side with the EE Recon. I wonder if the Recon Long/Wide has similar volume inside, with more coverage of the foot area and less side coverage around the neck area. Somehow for the same weight the MLD has a 30d floor as opposed to the thinner 15d floor on the EE Recon. The MLD has two top pullouts instead of the one on the Recon.

Would this or the EE Recon be the better choice to extend a tarp’s rain, wind and drip protection toward the edges of 3 season use, and perhaps add a bit of warmth to one’s sleep system?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Making some estimations of relative size, here’s a rough visual comparison of the MLD Bug Bivy 2 versus EE Recon bivy. This assumes the EE photos are a regular sized Recon with 5.5″ bathtub height. The height ratio of the MLD bathtub (5″) to total height (27″) does not match the photo, so specs may be preliminary or photo has odd perspective.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oooooh the 30d floor and MLD materials seem like a winning combination at 7 ounces.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

I may have to buy one of these MLD’s too and compare. Just ordered a Recon last week that’s arriving tomorrow :-)

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I am glad I held off on the Recon.  This is very much like the sketches and doodles I have been dreaming about.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Looks sweet! Someone post a review if you get it with some actual pics

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Lester, thanks for combining images of the two bivies for comparison. :)

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

One difference I can spot right now is the foot area while cowboy camping in a cool wind as the Recon has a solid foot (used the Recon from the Trinity Alps to Cascade Locks on the PCT so first hand knowledge).  Of course the new MLD Bug Bivy 2 would be ideal under a MLD Patrol shelter or the new Cricket.

One advantage is both bivies are so small two can be put into one bag labeled “bivy” if needing to conceal from significant other…

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

HkNewman – good observation on the foot box of the Recon being an advantage for cowboy camping. On closer look, the MLD Bug Bivy 2’s tall head section (27″ high) seems like a better fit under a flat tarp or the Patrol shelter with high, open ends. Likewise, the Recon’s lower head section may fit better under a shaped tarp which has low side panels. Under my Deschutes tarp, the side panel is only 6 inches or so above my head depending on pitch height, so the MLD bivy would likely have a lot of extra slack in the head area if attached to the inside of the tarp.

Re: the MLD 30d floor – according to the MLD specs and recent posts on the Recon, the Recon uses 0.9 oz netting and the MLD uses 0.7 oz. That could explain why the MLD has a thicker 30d floor than the Recon for a similar weight.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Is that a hoop in the foot end?  No mention of it in the copy or specs.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Lester, I’ve slept in my Deschutes with my MLD Bug Bivy five or six times. The geometry isn’t correct for suspending the bivy. The only way I’ve found that works is to put my pack inside the bivy above my head which actually works pretty well. Chad from here suggested that move to me. This lack of compatibility lead me to a Superlight bivy…

JCH that sure looks like a hoop to me too.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Would love to see some in person pictures if someone buys one.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Would this work in a single trekking pole A frame set up?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Do you mean under a tarp in an A Frame pitch with only one trekking pole? I don’t see why not.

Ken P
    Spectator

@tyro

I don’t see a direct apples to apples between the recon and bug 2. Maybe better to compare the recon to the super light?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just my $.02 but I disagree.

The Superlight doesn’t provide any splash protection at the head with the all mesh hood and if you get the little half-moon mesh window on it you don’t have anything close to the mesh area of the BBII.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Having owned the MLD superlight and now the EE Recon, the mesh on the latter makes it more breathable but cooler in the mountains. Since the Recon has a panel of mesh, I was able to use a windshirt if too chilly yet not cold enough for my 30°F EE Enigma.

That said, I’m likely adding the MLD Bug Bivy 2 for warmer trips under my new Cricket (’17 version). Why? Being under that many biting insects, being able to use 2 poles to lift netting completely off-skin sounds muy comfortable.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Recon, BB, BB2, Superlight, and various net tents and bivys – they are all one-piece answers to the same question – how do you augment your protection under a tarp – protection from rain, wind and/or bugs? The best answer depends mostly on the shape of your tarp and what kind of protection is most important to you.

If you have a flat tarp and keeping netting well off your body is crucial, then the MLD BB2 seems like a great solution (or the BB1 if you want more ventilation).

If you have a shaped tarp and keeping netting off your body is crucial, then a half-pyramid shaped net tent seems like a great answer IMHO (other than the weight). If sleep space is less important to you, then the Recon or Superlight are workable options.

If flexibility is crucial (under a tarp plus cowboy camping), then the EE Recon or MLD Superlight seem like the best options from this list – both are ready as-is for cowboy camping and both are usable under most tarps.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Edit: answered my own question by learning to read.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The geometry isn’t correct for suspending the bivy. The only way I’ve found that works is to put my pack inside the bivy above my head which actually works pretty well.

Matthew – Reminds me of the last time I used my MSR Zoid (remember those?) way back when.  A big branch fell on the head-end on night one utterly destroying the pole.  Spent the remainder of the trip with my pack propping up the netting over my head :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

JCH, don’t tell anyone but I’m pretty new to all of this. I camped for the first time in 2010 and started hiking in 2011.

I googled it and can see how a broken arch pole would prompt the ol’ pack above the head trick.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

I did a quick spreadsheet comparing the specs of the Recon and the BB2. A quick phone job while waiting for the train so excuse formatting and perhaps some mistakes (haven’t triple checked so do feel free to fact check me).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hrmzA8wSGFw4rCXywnPF8sBVzCru9BrneIEiy-VthFg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Generally for average users it looks as though MLD has a bit more space to move around and is better ventilated. EE is a bit lower, which is perhaps less livable but as someone else suggested this might be an advantage under tarps of certain shapes. EE has more weather protection, so could be a bit warmer. Having not used a small tarp before, i can only speculate how much real world difference it’d make in splash and wind protection. It should give you more cowboy camping options if it’s a but colder. Small possibility of condensation issues, especially with no footbox tie out (I asked Tyler about this and he said in their tests it didnt make a difference) but of course far less than a traditional bivvy.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Anyone pick one of these up yet? Haven’t seen an actual review yet or in hand photos and would love too.

Anyone know what night temperature this would probably be to warm for?

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

YouTube video

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools