Topic

Looking for input on 1 person shelter.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for input on 1 person shelter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

After using a variety of shelters over the years, I’ve decided that what I really want is a one person + gear, single vertical pole supported, pyramid (asym seems like a good idea) integrated bug netting and floor shelter. I don’t want to deal with a shelter that has an inner because that adds a ton of weight. I also don’t want perimeter netting or floor netting because of issues with freezing in colder weather.

I have been looking at the six moons designs lunar solo which seems perfect, but I’m wondering what over options out there are similar to that.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

What’s your budget? Zpacks has some shelters that meet what you’re looking for, but they’re pricey compared to the Lunar Solo.

I know you said you don’t want an inner because of the weight, but an MLD Cricket plus inner in silnylon is actually an ounce lighter than the Lunar Solo. When you don’t need the inner, you’ve got the option to go much lighter. But, it’s not fully enclosed.

An MLD Solomid plus inner in silnylon is only an ounce more than the Lunar, and again, you’ve got the option of going without the inner when you don’t need it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As mentioned, while quite a bit more expensive (and let’s not even talk about the delivery wait) the ZPacks AltaPlex sounds like something you might like.  If you can deal with the cost and time, I think you would love it.

Edit: corrected to reference the the AltaPlex as I originally intended (not SolPlex) :(  It sucks getting older.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

There aren’t many other options except the Altaplex. I occasionally look for something to replace my Lunar Solo in the same configuration. No luck.  I am 6’2″ and the Altaplex looks inviting, but the cost and minimal weight difference with stakes I can’t justify. My Lunar in the bag with stakes ( 2 groundhogs and 4 shepherd hooks) is 26 oz. and is big enough to sit up in and store all my gear. I did add 2 feet of guyline to each tie-out to use when needing to balance out the pitch on anything where there might be obstructions or is a little slanted. I find no need to use the 2 pullouts tabs on the end panels.  It packs small, goes up quick, easy to enter, pitches taut, and fits in pretty small places. Great shelter, especially for the price.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It looks like you are right about an mld solomid being about the same weight with the inner. However, the cost is significantly more. The altaplex looks solid but the price is very high. I’m trying to save up to hike in new zealand next year and possibly travel beyond that, so the $370 difference in cost for a few ounces would let me travel a lot longer before needing to head home. I also don’t like how cuben doesn’t pack down small (at least my cuben tarp doesn’t).

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Consider the Big Sky International – Wisp – Minimal room for gear in the tent but it has a very spacious vestibule that could all your gear and be easily accessible in the tent out of the weather.  This tent would be on the minimalist side of your tent options, but it is a tent, it is light and everything first in there.  I have one on the way that I luckily got on Gear Swap forum.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I have the Lunar Solo and it’s very roomy. I’m 6 ft and have lots room left over. I used to use shelters that I made with separate inners but got tired of the double set-up routine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools