Topic

Locus Gear- Black, Red, or White Cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Locus Gear- Black, Red, or White Cuben

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Arthur L
    Spectator

@arthurlaw19

I was interested if anyone had any experience on the colors of cuben that Locus Gear offers, especially in terms of transparency/privacy. I would think the black would be the best bet, anyone have any thoughts?

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

I ended up going with a white Khafra and I am happy. But I’ve never owned a black or red shelter before. Only green.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/103480/

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I have white and like it. But I haven’t really been paying attention to transparency.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I really like black Cuben, and it is a major improvement over white in terms of transparency/privacy. In addition, it is not dark inside, though it offers better protection from strong sunlight, and the pattern of the black Cuben makes it look almost handwoven – most satisfying. I’ve had no experience with red.

Arthur L
    Spectator

@arthurlaw19

I checked out your forum post Robert, thanks! Thanks for everyone’s input. The black cuben has a very cool look, especially with a red zipper from LG. I think I will go with that!

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I’ve got a black (w/ red zipper) Hapi, and I love the way it looks.  It still feels bright inside when the sun is out, but I like the way it cuts down on bright moonlight better than a previous olive green cuben shelter did.

Some pics: http://imgur.com/a/LZ1MZ

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Yes, the black cuben looks a little like tweed. I’ll post a photo.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

My Khufu.

That second photo, Croster Dragon pouch, is a heavier weight. They were available in Japan, now I think that color is hard to get. The red zip goes with the black cuben really well.

Croster Dragon is sort of modern day reincarnation of Chouinard Dragon, whose Japanese and Korean “vintage” packs I have a collection of. Chouinard I think served in the US Army in Korea in the ?early 70s?, put up some routes at Dobongsan near where I live, and designed quite a few packs. I was buying them at the flea market, but now they never appear. Occasionally I see someone wearing one, and usually talk with them or take a photo. (Meanwhile, Croster Dragon packs – available in Japan – are very expensive, a little too glitzy for my taste).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools