Topic

LIVING IN GRUNGE – and stupidity

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion LIVING IN GRUNGE – and stupidity

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It’s just locker room talk…

Beat you to it Jerry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“The juxtaposition of crotch / grunge discussion and beer adulation here is a bit disconcerting if you read the whole thread straight through, while of course drinking a nice Scottish ale that fits neatly between your stouts, IPAs, and PBRs.”

I thought it was a rather elegant way to “elevate” the discussion. ;0)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The best beer is the cheapest beer. Around here that usually means Keystone Light or Old Milwaukee. The cheapest beer also means buying it in a big box (24-30 cans) and drinking it at home because you avoid the overhead of saloons, bars, eateries; not to mention drinking a tad too much and saying something really stupid in public. Because the best beer is the cheapest beer, you usually won’t drink too much of it at one sitting, which saves you additional money over time.

I have applied the same methodology to wine, to a point. I have graduated from Thunderbird and wine-in-a-box to 1.5L bottles of Gallo Family Hearty Burgandy or Cabernet, usually found in sale at $5.99 per bottle.

The best time to bathe or wash is when your spouse tells you to. Of course if you have no spouse (or significant other) or if you are on an extended trip sans said spouse, then there is no need to bathe or wash unless you insist on wearing underwear all the time. Underwear crelates a breeding ground for bad things.

Washing too often is not good for your health (you need germs on your body to crank up your immune system), plus we are running short of water due to Global Something and we shouldn’t waste water on bathing or washing until your spouse or significant other says to do so. If your sex life is inadequate in terms of frequency, then you may want to increase the frequency of bathing and ignore the drought althogether.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Modelo. Hey, it’s imported! Always on sale. Will be serving it to guests next week.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I dont shower but once a week, sometimes 1/9 days.  Like for the last 15+ years.

I fully believe that when you shower the soap strips off oil and you body kicks into high gear to make up for the loss.  If you work out you get crazy sweaty.    I dont get that oily really because I dont constantly strip off my oils.  I’ll sweat, but it doesnt really stink. (per other people… not just me not smelling it)  It usually take at least a week before I start feeling like I need to shower.

And to what Craig said:  YES!!!  Nothing has done more for the divorce rate that perfume/ cologne!!!   (well, you know…)

Pheromones rule!  Smell my butt!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Pheromones rule!  Smell my butt!”

You dog, you…

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Jeffs Eleven –

I used to know an octogenarian professor of dermatology who would have agreed with you. He had extraordinary skin for his age, and hadn’t used soap in decades – he felt that it strips us of our natural defences.

He recommended the old Graeco/Roman practice of rubbing oil onto the skin and using a scraper to remove the dirt.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Lots of people here that don’t get really dirty on a daily basis, sounds like. When possible I prefer no soap too, just salt and then olive oil in the shower…but more often than not I am dealing with a lot of dirt, often enough grease, poison oak, leaves and sticks in my hair.

On the other hand I am a firm believer in not using ear swabs and never had an ear problem ….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Since I just took one… More reasons why I like showers:

Putting a trickle of hot water on my shoulders (what hurts right now) or on my back, eases the tension and helps with the pain.

Coming in from the weather with a deep chill ; nothing works quicker than warm water.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hot showers, blissful.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I don’t drink alcohol, ( I get migraines if I drink firewater ) but I will be the designated driver if any one needs me….:-) And I bathe once a week on trail or off. So if I drive you home you’ll just have to suffer if I’m due for a bath, sorry.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I see this thread has “degenerated” to discussing the smells and flavors of beer. And that’s fine with me, a craft beer “taster”.

I agree that most American craft beers do not allow their yeast flavors to surface. Too bad.

One of my favorite beers is the British Sam <i>Smith </i>Oatmeal Stout. Love those malty/yeasty <i>flavours </i>(as the Brits spell it).

Back to grunge smells. I’m looking for long handled underwear with imbedded silver particles that are anti-bacterial. Better for hunting if nothing else.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

BTW, you hormone-driven posters may be interested to know that wealthy Roman women used to buy sweat from gladiators as an aphrodisiac. (It actually did contain testosterone, unbeknownst to the Romans.)

Hey, don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. ;o)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Kat you dont need a shower, you need a groundcloth. I havent had a stick in my hair in years.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

No Jeff, this is work, not leisure related. Plus I sleep in a hammock, well off the ground ;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Yes, hand sanitizer to the crotch WILL “wake you up”.;o) (HINT: never put it on “Monkey Butt”! Use only Neosporin or, better, Polysporin.)

Yes, IPAs are bitter and I do think my taste buds have “aged” and need the stimulus of more hops.

Yes, I am sensitive to BO. I remember being in Toronto’s CN Tower elevator next to French Canadians who eschewed either deodorants or washing. It was an unpleasant ride to the restaurant on top and I made sure I avoided those Frenchies on the ride back down.

If this thread had to be side-tracked I’m so happy that beer was the topic to veer it off course.

PBR indeed! The horses that make PBR and Bud have kidney problems.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools