Topic

Lightweight rain jacket with pit zips and front zipper- which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight rain jacket with pit zips and front zipper- which one?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think the Peak Shell, Torrent Flier, and Storm Cruiser all look interesting.  If anyone uses any of them please report back.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I think the Peak Shell, Torrent Flier, and Storm Cruiser all look interesting.  If anyone uses any of them please report back.

Agreed. I’d like to hear from anyone as well…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Great pit ventilation and a generous front opening:

3 or 4 Hefty bags.

The high heels give you a little more height while bear-bagging your food.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Erin( Wired ) Saver switched to the Torrent Flier for her GDT hike last year, She talks about it and her OR Helium II jacket in her 2015 GEAR REVIEW from her blog, I know there was another long distance hiker that switched to that same jacket for the same reason Wired did and really liked it, I can’t remember who but if it comes to me I will post it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

This is not the blog I was thinking of but Cam Honan talks about both the Torrent Flier and Peak Shell on his BLOG .

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

Does anyone have any experience with the sierra designs ultralight trench?  It seems like an interesting solution as well, but it’s hard to find any reviews

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I know the op wants pit zips and a front zipper. But I’ll throw in the old Rab Demand smock, that has a deep front zip; or the new Rab smock that got rave reviews from Jen earlier. Both are very light and bombproof. 3 ply Event fabric on the Demand; so robust as well.

I’ve found that I don’t miss pit zips with the Demand.

I’m not looking to start a debate; just my two cents in case the op want to reconsider his criteria.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My Dear Mr. Flippingbird, (my, such a naughty nome de plume ;o)

My Cabela’s PacLite parka weighs 16 oz.in size large. It’s fabric weight is not diaphanous like some and that’s why it’s still around. BUT neither did it delaminate or tear in brush. (Mm Hmm..)

I also have an REI Kimtah eVent parks in XL (to fit over my down sweater) that weighs 16 oz. I eschew a dedicated “wind shirt” and use a WPB rain parka if things get that uncomfortable. Dual use, ya know. Likely the weight of my “heavy” rain parkas is less than most lighter parkas plus a wind shirt.

In the bad old days of the ’70s, before decent WPB parkas, I had a very light nylon ripstop PU coated rain parka. It lasted less than one season of Pennsylvania hiking and backpacking use and had plenty of duct tape holding it together at the end. Thus my desire to have durable rain parkas.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Eric, the Cabelas Rainy Ridge parka is a good value GT shell (one of my friends has one about as old as yours), especially for around town, fishing, or other outdoor uses, but it is getting pretty heavy for a backpacking shell, especially one without pitzips etc.   For 16oz you are getting into 40d GT Pro shells and Fully Featured Neoshell or eVent shells.  I have a 16oz REI Shukstan(sp) eVent shell I use around town that has tons of features, but it is too heavy for backpacking.

I also realize everyone is different, but for me even eVent isn’t breathable enough for me to replace my windshirt with it.  I do sweat a lot, and some people may not be cursed with that so it might work.   I have had two eVent shells delaminate in the past and have found them less durable in that regard than GT.

If the OP wants an occasional shell for the Sierras then the Versalite is a fine choice (or OR Helium, Marmot Essence, etc), but they will delaminate every few years and must be replaced.   I have gone that route and eventually gone back to a GT shell as much as it pains me to say that.  In my experience, nothing is as waterproof or durable, even though they don’t breathe all that great.  I have also found 3 layer shells to be more comfortable so they would be my choice for sustained rain in say Alaska or the Cascades.

I really want a sub 10oz shell, durable enough for brush, in a breathable membrane, with pit zips, hand pockets above my waist belt, a useable hood, long lasting DWR, and good cuffs (a pet peeve of mine).  Is that too hard to ask?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

“I really want a sub 10oz shell, durable enough for brush, in a breathable membrane, with pit zips, hand pockets above my waist belt, a useable hood, long lasting DWR, and good cuffs (a pet peeve of mine).  Is that too hard to ask?”

Again, Rab Flashpoint. 7 ounces. Has a great hood and good cuffs. Front zipper and a long pocket–although not hand pockets–above your waist belt. I can’t speak to its dwr–my Rab Demand is fine in this regard–but it’s easy enough to replenish the dwr. I do it as a matter of course each spring.

You might not get everything on your wish list, but this ain’t bad. Look it up on the Rab site.

too bad that they’ve discontinued the Demand–a near perfect piece–affordable, three layer Event, light. and I prefer a smock to a full front zip. the Demand can easily handle brush–I don’t know about the Flashpoint.

I’ve had the Demand for 5 years or so with no hint of delamination.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Funny you mentioned the Flashpoint as I picked one up from Massdrop recently.  It does have a decent hood and nice cuffs, as well as a nice Vilson front zipper (rather than a coil).  I am not sure about its durability for bushwhacking though.

I haven’t really gotten a chance to test its breath-ability yet so I can’t comment on that.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Jen Mitol from this site used the Flashpoint on her long Colorado Trail hike where it was raining…constantly. She loved it. I haven’t used the Flashpoint but like the Rab Demand, which is something else entirely.

t

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I looked at the RAB Flashpoint. It’s way too “slim” for me to be able to wear it over my light down jacket. This pairing is a must for me and why my REI Kimtah eVent parks is size XL.

I’ll keep looking for a lighter WPB parka but methinks a new, tough, UL fabric needs to be invented before i find my ideal parka.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

BTW David, would you happen to have that model’s e-mail?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools