Topic

Kid's fishing poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kid's fishing poles?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I’m looking to get some beginner fishing poles for myself and kids (age 3 and 5.)  We’d likely do some trout fishing in town and in the backcountry (North Cascades.)  We’re all beginners, and could use some advice.   We do a lot of backpacking with the boys (probably 10-15 trips a year) and this eventually would probably be where most of the fishing happens.

Is it practical to get something to learn on in town that’s also packable for backpacking?

Should I get dedicated kid’s poles and something else for myself, or can we share?

Any other suggestions for beginning fishermen?  Also, and favorites spots would be great (we’re based in Bellingham, and mostly do Mount Baker Highway, North Cascades Highway and Olympics.) Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you might do well posting in the FISHING FORUM.

Steve SNS
    Spectator

@sns

Locale: (null)

Tenkara.  Reach out to Chris at Tenkarabum.com – he is really helpful.

My son is very much an enthusiast thanks to Chris’s advice and the kids tenkara kit.

Cheers

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Thanks, Steve. I checked out their site – looks like this could be a great kit.  That said, I likely will start with something cheap to see if they like fishing (and hopefully learn how to handle it without breaking anything!)

Any suggestions for a “starter” pole?

I’ll post in the fishing forum as well.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

If you are looking for a starter rod and reel for a child  look at the Ugly Stik line of rods. You can get a closed face spin cast reel with a rod cheap. It would be very hard for a child to break an Ugly Stik. Also I have found that if you are fishing with children you will not have much time to cast the rod yourself. When my kids were that young I spent my time bounce back and forth between them fixing fouled line or replacing bait and releasing fish. Even today now that they are 11 and 13 I don’t take a rod for myself. I just sort of act as a guide and get an occasional cast in.

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

I’m guessing you will probably be spin fishing. That is the most effective and easiest way to fish high lakes in your area. You will definitely want pack rods and the shorter they break down the better. They will also be good for front country lakes. Reels should be open face and as light as possible. Fred Meyer used to sell light weight, inexpensive, and good quality Shimano reels, but I haven’t checked their stock in years so I don’t know if they still do. Use 4 lb test monofilament on the reel. Lures should be 3/16 or ÂĽ oz. Spoons are easier to fish then spinners. Eventually you can integrate a fly and bubble set up, but keep it more simple to start.

The 3 year old won’t be able to fish on their own so they don’t really need a separate setup. I would not bother with cheesy kid gear.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Thanks, Brian!  I ended up picking up a “youth” spincast reel and a “captain america” pole for the little guy.  You’re totally right – that $15 pole is useless, but it gives him something to play with…  The kid’s spincast pole seems like an ok place to start.  When you are referring to an “open face” reel, is this the same as a a “spinning” reel?

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

Yes, I meant an open face spinning reel. It is difficult to find good closed face spinning reels. Typically, those kid sets come with a cheesy closed face reel.

Having a rod like that to play with is a good idea!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools