Topic

JMT SEPT 17- OCT 10- WM MEGALITE 30deg OR EE10deg

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JMT SEPT 17- OCT 10- WM MEGALITE 30deg OR EE10deg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

We have permits starting September 17th that lasted into October would like those who have been on JMT in early to mid October to tell me which bag they would take based on their past experience my wife we’ll be using a montbell USS number 2 but she sleeps cold would we need to bring a liner for that bag also

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Definitely, without question, the Enlightened Equipment 10 degree. Towards the end of September expect sub 30* temps overnight, frozen water bottles, frosty tents and cold mornings. Towards the end of October it should be even colder, obviously, with overnights in the low 20’s and a chance for snow at higher elevations.

You could very well take the 30 degree bag and bring a 40~ synthetic bag to use in conjunction.

What kind of liner were you thinking of bringing?

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

I have a large Megalite and Montbell SSL 3 and have used the two together down to 15 degrees (Montbell on the inside). Might be a good option for your wife. I’m a warm sleeper though.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

thanks Dylan and Joe the 10 degree weights the same as the megalite so II’ll take it, plus I like to cowboy camp so the exter warmth might be nice.  the liner is a simple silk liner doesn’t have a lot of warmth but a little bit, I’ve taken the Montbell #2 into the teens fairly comfortably but my wife and one of her friends have used it and was chiled in the upper 20s with a x therm  pad. Maybe a better liner?

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

I hiked the John Muir Trail 2016 October 3-19. I am writing an article for BPL on it right now, cannot say when it will be published. I used a WM Super Ultralite (20 F). Temperatures were mostly above freezing, some nights with a handful degrees of frost. Biggest problem at night was tons of condensation that really compromised the insulation. Fortunately days where mostly nice and warm with good opportunities to dry out my sleeping bag during my mid day break. The last night, below Whitney, was cold, I had to fix me a hot water bottle in the middle of the night. This is always an option. I am planning on hiking the Sierras same time next year and will undoubtedly bring the same sleeping bag. Plus a shelter (under construction) that will keep me warmer and not as exposed to condensation.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow, back from the future :)

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

:-D Sorry, should of course be 2015.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Jorgen & Dylan on a slow trip 21 + days what’s your best guess on the coldest temperatures will see. I Google the question and researched Park Service but I can’t find actual Trail temperatures just the valley

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools