Topic

Insect shield ineffective against Alaskan mosquitoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insect shield ineffective against Alaskan mosquitoes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I did a recent three day trip near Fairbanks, Alaska, and wore an Insect shield branded shirt, and pants that I treated with permethrin myself. Neither was effective in total prevention of bites, although I think I got bit somewhat less than others in my party. But the insects bit right through the fabric. 7% Deet repellant was also useless. A headset saved my sanity, along with a decent tent. We only encountered them one afternoon and evening, thank goodness, but they were nasty! I live with plenty in my backyard, and generally just let them bite, but the ones on the hike were quite maddening during steep sweaty climbs.

I used both of these garments in a recent trip to the northeast, and got no ticks on me when other hikers had many. Perhaps that is the better use for this chemically treated clothing.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, permethrin is not a big deterrent to mosquitoes. Voracious mosquitoes can bite right through most fabrics, treated or not. They may not survive their meal, but they go for it anyway. Even 100% DEET will not deter freshly hatched mosquitoes in the ADK’s. Again, the combination of permethrin and DEET works on most, but not all. Glad you had nets. It works well on ticks and blackflies usually. Both require some time to bite, time enough to let them be dosed by the permethrin.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Alaskan mosquitoes are the Delta Force of mosquitoes. Nothing stops them short of clothing so tight they can’t bite through.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

And clothing color makes a big difference. Around Alaskan campfires, I’ll count mosquitos on people’s backs and it can vary 5:1 on black:white clothing.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Repellents / deterrents are exactly as they say – they aren’t barriers.

Barrier clothing is critical in these types of conditions. Tightly-woven, a reasonable denier. A very tightly-woven wind jacket, a thicker supplex nylon pant combined with a headnet, is my go-to skeeter barrier system.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

I seem to recall a Jack London story about gold rushers who came in the back way via the Yukon.  At some point in that journey through the mountains there was a very wide meadow to cross in which the mosquitos were THICK.  And voracious.  So bad that some of the travelers committed suicide.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

i live in Alaska and have found Insect Shield clothing to be highly effective against mosquitos. Spent the last week in Katmai National Preserve and as soon as we stepped outside the cabin the mosquitos savagely attacked.  They did not light on my Ex Officio IS pants or my Columbia IS jacket. The same was true for my S2S IS headnet.  They were swarming all around, but not lighting or biting.  In 2015 I did a 65 mile trek in Katmai and an old IS hoody made the trip mich more enjoyable.   I like the stuff and it works for me, including on hikes in Fairbanks.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

David, so the skeeters don’t like light colors so much, but the small black flies of the Maine north woods seem to prefer the lighter colors. Either way, the bugs have got you covered.

There is also the question of hands – I get the hands attacked when all else is covered, and that’s just walking on town roads with one hand showing to hold the dog leashes.
    During a very bad bug season, I drove in June up to the Nahmakanta Lake region thru which the AT runs, and found many AT hikers sitting despondently on the edges of the gravel roads wearing headnets and waiting for … Godot? Or maybe a rescue wagon?

In conditions like these, slathering on lots of 100% DEET seems the only way to remain sane, but have always worried about possible toxic effects. Permethrin is usually found at about 0.5 percent, but a mason who flashes chimneys visited recently, and said he uses 35% on his clothing for working on roofs. That did not sound very healthy either.
    Perhaps one answer is to limit hiking at the peak of the bug season, at least in the lower 48. Have never been in Alaska or northern Canada – maybe they have no peaks?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I cannot imagine wearing a tightly woven wind jacket in sunshine while walking up a tundra slope. I think I’d collapse from the heat! Even the headset is hot, but at least it works. Interesting Michael, that it worked for you. I’ll be wearing the same stuff later this week on another three day trek, will see if it is more successful. But this time I’ll also bring higher Deet concentration repellent, just in case.

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

If you hit one of those ‘special’ days with a mosquito or no-seeum hatch; them it is what it is.   Nothing helps you.   Generally I have found a combination of light permethrin treated clothing and 100% Deet if necessary effective.   I have had a few times where I just take shelter.   Most have probably experienced those times when all you can do is hide…  I have been in far worse no-seeum hatches than Mosquito’s.   So bad you can’t breath without them in your mouth.  No fun.

I also treat my young daughters clothing to try and avoid Deet.   I don’t like to use 100% on her – so generally use a time release 20% formula like the one from Sawyer, and it seems to do a decent job.  That one in particular advertised a much lower overall Deet absorption.

Any tests out there on using too much Deet??

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Just so you, know Higher DEET concentration i.e. %,  just means longer lasting protection, it does not mean greater protection. You will get the same protection from ALL DEET but the higher strength means that SAME protection lasts LONGER. That is all. There is a consistent misunderstanding of DEET and what it does.  The lower the % the more quickly its repellent properties will wear off. You must carefully apply it according to the directions of your chosen strength , concentration, if you want it to work. Higher concentration  allows for less frquent application that is all, which  is good, has to be applied less often. I would not use 100 % DEET this is the longest lasting and may mean you are applying it for repelling when you dont need it. You may be indoors by then.  If you are concerned re toxicity I have had success with Picaridan 20%. But thru’ dangerously  High risk Malarial regions and sandfly areas I have trusted DEET. In severe Malarial regions I only apply DEET( Bushmans Ausralian brand )40% to exposed skin, and cover well up but with nice loose clothing even in the extreme heat of South East Asia.  It will repel and mozzies and sandflies will buzz around but not land. I wear shorts for all my walking in NZ surely the contender for  the bloody sandfly capital of the world, and picaridan has been excellent just need to apply on exposed skin only. Sweat, lots of it is no problem to properly applied DEET or in my recent trialling Picaridan. But you must follow the directions diligently, I know of many people who blamed the product but did not follow the directions. I am feeling more confident now with Picaridan and would probably use it if I ventured back to Cambodia (monumentally high risk for Malaria) or Timor Leste again. Picaridan works very well with all biting insects in NZ and Australia. Cheers.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Graham,
    Problem is, in peak bug season I’ve found that low % DEET does not faze the skeeters at all. They continue to bite from the git-go. Come to think, it’s the same for the small black flies, altho their peak season is phased slightly differently than the skeets. So cannot agree with your experience. Also, Picaridin was tried when it first came out, and provided zero protection in peak seasons. Perhaps Oz is different.

One other thing tried when used to hike in peak bug seasons: A bug repellent coil was installed on its little sheet metal stand, and the stand inserted in a crack at the top of a wooden walking stick used while trekking. When all else failed, this actually provided some added protection to the DEET. Some coils worked better than others. Still use the coils after stopping for the night to camp. Chris Townsend once posted here that he burned coils right in the tent, perhaps a bit risky and toxic. Some coils are better than others. The good ones work really well.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

One afternoon, on the Milford Sound track in New Zealand, as I was watching the kids swim in a river, I applied DEET to one leg and lemon eucalyptus oil to the other leg.  The LE leg had 1/3 the visitation of the DEET leg.

I haven’t repeated that comparison at home in Alaska, but maybe I should.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

G’day there Sam,

I am pretty sure I referred to my use of DEET in Cambodia, Timor Leste (East Timor) New Zealand and Australia. Not a small sample. I believe Alaska is one state, in one country. I suggest you do your own research ( please, I am not being a smart arse ) as I did, I found it rewarding as a scientist myself. Please, if you find evidence contrary to mine please post it. My info I passed on was purely based on the science not on my opinion, however, I just happen to have been to all those places and the scientific evidence is borne out. Mine is not an isolated experience, by any means. It is the standard recommended practice for all travellers/workers to places with Malaria/Dengue/Dengue Hemarragic etc, all mozzie borne diseases. Please also note that I referred to 20% Picaridan it lasts for about 8 -10 hours from memory.

Low % DEET  IS THE SAME  as 100% DEET  the higher the percentage just lasts longer on the skin. Very Highly -NOT RECOMMENDED.

Again, I would NEVER use 100 percent.

“Malaria kills about a million people each year, most are children, about 3000 per day”-WHO

This is why I was fearful.

Please also note that DEET does not work for flies, I forgot to mention that-but Picaridan does, very well as it happens.

Coils are a complete waste of time unless you can create an air lock situation and the chemicals are not diluted by moving air. You need a topical (ointment) treatment. They use coils in poorer countries for good reason -that is all they can afford.

G’day there David,

I have visited NZ seven times, in 1985 and in each of the last 6 years, lemon eucy is a very mild deterrent only. For me no deterrent at all. Did you visit Sandfly Point at the sound? They will carry you away there. That was the last place I tried Picaridan 20% as it happens. I had a sweaty tramp almost 1200m above Milford onto the ice and snow for most of a day and went down to have some lunch, looking at Mitre Peak and stood for 15 minutes near the water, whilst tourists that saw me standing there followed suit but jumped back into there cars after about a minute being swamped by sandflies. I was not touched. I only applied the Pic to my neck face and and hands. My clothes were not treated but the rest of me was covered by clothes. They will fly around you, but not land. Yes, do that experiment it would be great if you post the results. Did you apply the eucy over a leg with DEET already on it? If the Alaskan mozzies are the same as the rest of the worlds, and the science is correct the result should be clear.

By the way, I walk in shorts like the traditional Ausie and kiwi, had DEET on my legs, took off my socks for a swim and got bitten by a sandfly. Right on the top of my foot -NO DEET there unfortunately!

And there is no such thing as time release DEET, you put it on, it works. It wears off it doesn’t. Just marketing spin.

As I said, my real experience when I was fearful of Malaria was with DEET. Worked a charm-nothing like the possibility of catching what’s been called the the disease that has had the most impact on human history to get you to focus. DEET in Bushmans brand (which the main brand kiwis as well as Ausie shops now seem to sell now, for good reason) will survive a good sweating/work in that case I apply it 25% more frequently than recommended. 10 hours reapplication if I am working hard becomes 8 etc.

I do not work for the company or have any affiliation but here is their website-it is full of useful info.

http://www.bushman-repellent.com/       this explains the concentrations and how they work best.

My daughter trekked thru’ Laos and Cambodia after our visit to Timor. She applied all the methods we used successfully and came home well. Three of her mates and a teacher contracted Malaria. All were carrying DEET but none of the four used it properly, strictly according to directions. Two still have Malaria and will be visited by it for the rest of their lives and likely have their lives shortened due to it.

What we need is for someone in Alaska to follow the exact directions, diligently for a month, for either/or DEET and Picaridan. Only trouble is that means one arm with nothing on it and the other with the right amount applied, at all the right times. There will be some bites coming someones way!

Mozzies are attracted by the CO2 we expire, and blue/black clothes. Cheers.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mostly in the NE corner of the US, Picardin does not last. It looses effectiveness after about 2-4 hours. DEET looses effectiveness after about 4-6 hours. This is not the whole story, though.

I tried all sorts of stuff, lemon oil, skin-so-soft, DEET, picardin, clove oil, etc. By far the most effective all around skin deterrent was DEET. I have found that 100% DEET will build up on your skin and clothing over time. Ie, first application is good for about 4 hours, second is good for about 8 hours, third application is good for about 12 hours. This does not happen with picarden. It always wears/evaporates off in about 2-4 hours. After the first day out, I usually spray my clothing, and hair once per day. Note that in warmer weather I rinse off every day, but this doesn’t seem to effect the buildup with DEET. It is not as effective as picardin against some things, midges/no-see-ums. But it lasts far longer and is just as effective against mosquitoes and more effective against ticks. Blackflies is about even, but nothing will deter these except smoke, usually…most any kind of smoke.

Sometimes nothing stops the bugs as was already said. Depending on your local, one or the other may be more effective. But, DEET is always longer lasting with the build-up. Also, up to 6% of picardin is expected to be absorbed through the skin. Something less is expected for DEET since it is an oil. Picardin also washes off a bit more readily than DEET, which may account for hot weather/jungle effectiveness differences, but this is only a guess… Both are toxic to fish. The combination of the two should produce good results, but so far, there has been no experimentation that I know of.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I did quite a bit of research into this years ago.  Essentially, most studies show that Picaridin and DEET are usually equally effective at repelling mosquitoes and last equally long at equal concentrations, so 20% DEET and Picaridin lasts 4-5 hours with higher concentration DEET lasting marginally longer, but time release DEET formulas can last 8-10 hours.  However, Picaridin was more effective with no see sums and DEET was a bit more effective against ticks.  Also, things can vary both ways with specific species of mosquitoes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270489/

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

My system is to use Permethrin soaked clothing (nylon pants that bugs don’t bite through) and a thin wool or polyester long sleeve top that bugs can potentially bite through.  This system works for me in all but the absolute worst conditions when I slow down or rest.  At camp or at rest, I sometimes have to put on a wind shirt or woven nylon shirt.  I always wear nylon/polyester half gloves for sun and bugs and the buff goes up when I stop.  In terrible conditions, I’ll put on the head net at rest stops or at camp.  I even have permethrin on my hat and shoes.

I don’t use DEET for several reasons.  One is that I can’t stand the smell, but most important for me, I don’t like it’s effect on equipment.  It “eats” all plastic products over time like polyester and nylon clothes and bags and weakens monofilament fishing line.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

“…wore an Insect shield branded shirt, and pants that I treated with permethrin myself.”

OP, You DIY treated clothing that was already Insect Shield™ treated? Why?

A few years back I treated some clothing with Sawyer’s spray on permethrin and it seemed to work, but after only a couple of trips/washings I noticed that it had lost its effectiveness. When IS™ started offering their “IS™ your own clothes” I gave it a try. It’s very effective at stopping mosquitoes and lasts much longer than my DIY attempt, probably 2-3 years worth of trips.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wore an Insect Shield branded shirt, comma, AND nylon pants that I treated myself. Neither was effective. Mosquitoes bit through the RR Insect Shield shirt that cost $70, and the pants that I treated with permethrin following directions carefully and thoroughly. They landed and bit through the clothes, and also bit hands and face that were sprayed with Deet.

My original intent in buying the shirt and treating the pants was merely to deter ticks for a trip to the NE, and that may have been successful; I got no ticks hiking in grass and woodland, while fellow hikers did.

I have had past success with Deet in Alaska, but not this time. Good thing our mosquitoes don’t carry malaria.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Oh, the pants were dark green, REI Sahara’s, and the shirt was light sky blue. Skin is pale as a fish’s belly, but perhaps the rule of dark colored clothing being more atttractive to mosquitoes doesn’t apply to sweaty skin!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Clothing pictured

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Oops, my mistake. I overlooked the comma. Thanks for clarifying.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

G’day Karen thanks for the pic. Looks like a sweet spot. Might I ask, did you use the spray/ atomiser or rub the DEET onto your skin? The reason I ask is I have found the spray far less effective. Even spraying it onto the skin then rubbing it in it less effective then what I mention below. As such I would never recommend it for serious protection, which is what I had to have and now enjoy and sounds like you want for enjoyment of the outdoors. Also with only 7% that would need to be reapplied quite often, no disrespect here, did you follow the directions carefully? Timings etc.

The DEET I linked has NO  offensive smell whatsoever and works best at the 40%, but you could just as easily choose one a bit weaker, but I would not choose the 7%, it would need to be reapplied too often and if I forgot they would be on me quick. These products ONLY work in the time frame given on the tube. If you can get the Bushmans the times it states are accurate, very. Given my caution I would always write down the time I applied it as it is easy to forget. When I was using in malarial areas and you obviously cant be bitten, not once.  I aplied it before bed same time each night and at 9 am each morning, just became part of the ritual, given the heavy duty one I was using – this worked NO bites, not one, myself nor my daughter. This is over dozens of trips and  two continents. The sandfly got me on a beach, where there was no gel applied, the bugger. These times must be followed. A very small amount of the gel squeezed onto one palm, size half centimetre by half centimetre rub very lightly between palms just enough to spread it a little, then do one area only, for me in shorts that would be my leg- to the sock and up under the bottom of my shorts. If it starts to feel a bit dry add another dab to finish the leg. Rub REALLY  vigourously over ONE whole leg. That tiny amount WILL likely cover the whole leg. Repeat for the other leg etc.arm neck.Please give me some feedback I would love to know how it goes. Mozzies are very predictable in their habits so predictable in their prevention. Australia at the moment is leading the world on the eradication of Malaria -making the females sterile and results look good. We may see it in the coming decades! Hope I could help, I would myself would love to see Alaska one day. If there is anything else I can offer please ask.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Individual people can be more or less attractive to mosquitos.  I had a roommate who was great to go to swimming holes with because while I’d have 5 mosquitos on me when on my own, with her along, she’d have 20 and I’d have 1.  Genetics?  Gender?  Diet?  Orientation?  Yet another unfair advantage for straight, white male carnivores!

Also, there are many, many species of mosquitos which hatch at different times, and range more or less far from bushes / tall grass / water.  My first few Mays in Alaska, I’d think I was very good at swatting mosquitos because I could get them, on the wing, with one hand nearly 100% of the time.  Then by early June, the smaller, faster, smarter ones hatched and I realized I was only that good with the big, slow dumb ones.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

G’day David, I agree on an individual variation,  my father fought in WW2 in SE (Borneo etc) Asia, a tough little Scot he was, and he said he now had some immunity, many of his mates came home with Malaria-quinine  they were given only sometimes.. Could hold two bricks in one hand and 5 feet five on a good day. He used to tell me how the mozzies wouldn’t bother him, hardly ever saw a bite on him, I would be swatting away. He wouldn’t. The big difference between us after watching what happened was he didn’t have the same reaction I did. He didn’t notice them as much because unless they were full on he just barely noticed even when bitten. Same number mozzies, same problem, but bites affected him much less. I lived with him obviously for a long time and this was always the case. They lived on an island SE Victoria, OZ where you often could not go out of doors in Mozzie season. People upped and moved away blaming mozzie seasons! My elder daughter (25) and I share a moderate reaction, my youngest (21) her Pops, almost none.

But the fact remains, if there are mozzies, no matter who you are, white, straight, gay, male, female, (insert favourite sporting team here)_________ fan-even in a more or less fashion, the females will be drawn to you and they will want your blood. Their preservation relies on it and we are just fodder for the the buggers. Cheers.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Is that Chena Dome?  It’s been a weird year, normally there wouldn’t be too many bugs up that high.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools