Topic

How get get aquaseal off of shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How get get aquaseal off of shoes?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

So I just tried reinforcing some new shoes with aquaseal for the first time. I aquasealed the part where the sole meets the upper because that area tends to receive a lot of abrasion. I made the mistake of coating it too thick on the outside and I also coated it on the inside of the shoe. Now the fabric is super stiff and hard and the inside of the shoe has a coarse tacky texture that rubs my foot. This will cause huge problems. Is there any way to remove this stuff or did I just ruin a new pair of shoes?

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

Mineral spirits/paint thinner. I’d use it liberally as the reaction time may be slow but it should work especially if aqua seal is silicone based, which it probably is.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I think that aquaseal is urethane based.

I have heard that methyl ethyl ketone works well for removing aqulseal but i’m concerned about it damaging the shoe.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

So, it turns out methyl ethyl ketone is banned from being sold in California. Is there anything else I can use to remove this stuff?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Nasty stuff, MEK anyhow. Stay away from it.

I suspect some new shoes will feature in your immediate future.

Cheers

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You might be hosed on this one Justin.

I’d try uncut mineral spirits.  MEK would have a good chance of causing your soles to delaminate.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I went ahead and purchased a new pair. This time I tried seam grip, which is thinner than aquaseal. I used a very light coating on the outside and it made the fabric stiffer but still flexible.

I saw a picture of the new altra superiors in a dealer catalog at a local store and they look much more beefed up, they have reinforcements that should stop the upper from ripping off the sole.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools