Topic

Baby GGG in Pine Valley, Ventana Wilderness January 19-21

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Baby GGG in Pine Valley, Ventana Wilderness January 19-21

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Packed and ready for the adventure. Just hoping that the Rainy Pass waterproof socks show up in time, and work.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

@kattt wrote:

From what I remember Tassajara road is quite rocky, not packed dirt so the issue is more with the road having given in places or fallen trees, not deep mud.

As I recall, the community of Jamesburg, that you pass through on the way to Chews Ridge, China Camp, and Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, have a gate that they close to prevent some inconsiderate local yokels from tearing up the road when it is wet and most vulnerable to damage. There may be no way to know if it will be closed without driving there.

I reached-out to an acquaintance who volunteers regularly at the Mira observatory on Chews Ridge to see what they know about access and road conditions on Tassajara Road..

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Reminder to self: don’t trust long-range winter weather forecasts on the California coast. Generally they’re OK for 3-4 days.

Current Chews Ridge forecast is 4.5 inches rain through Thursday, then mostly clearing.

Until that changes.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Pack sunscreen and an umbrella.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Forecast ever improving.

See you there.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Ah snap! I’ve been buried and can’t believe I’ve missed this thread for so long! Even worse, I didn’t set aside the dates and made work commitments this weekend. Grrrr.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I will truly miss not being able to attend. Hope everyone has a great time.

I had been thinking of doing a Coe GGG XI in March though, if anyone’s still interested…

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

All set to head up tomorrow afternoon, just couldn’t wait until Saturday :) Brian and I will be leaving my house early afternoon, and hitting the trail as soon as we get to the TH.

Dave, bummed you won’t be able to make it but I’ll definitely be looking out for a March GGG!

If I have service near the TH I’ll post an update about road conditions.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I hope to drive-down on Saturday morning, and will be looking for any road condition updates on Friday evening. I hope to reach the trailhead by noon. It’ll be especially valuable to find out if any of you discover that the road is unpassable or too easily damaged.

The weather forecast looks like we’re in for some pretty good winds on Sunday.

I typically carry a really minimal kit and spartan meals, geared more to through-hiking rather than sitting around a campsite. But the latter looks like what this event is mainly about, so I’ll have to re-think the gear and food I’ll pack. I may want to bring much more than my typical base weight, which is under 8 pounds.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Think more along the lines of a backcountry social Steve. Not the trip to skimp.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am leaving in the morning too; meeting up with Ken and Eng-Shien for a bite and then we’re hiking.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Have a blast! I can’t make it. Bummer. David, I’m interested in your March GGG.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

Thank you for organizing this Kat and Ken.

I look forward to seeing you again on the trail(s).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Google sending me, well not sure, but got home by 8:30 safe and sound. Much weather on the drive.

Thanks so much Kat for getting us all out. All in all a nice weekend. Rained all weekend at home so better for us.

Hope to see everyone again soon.

Steve, those plates and bowls are still available new,

https://www.fozzils.com/solo-pack-new-blue

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

I am glad you all had a good time out there in the wilderness.

I was wondering if you guys encountered any ticks?

Cheers

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the nice outing everyone!

Steve said he pulled a tick off his leg on the hike in. No one else saw or pulled one. We did have hundreds of thousands of lady beetles though, and I did get poison oak.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools