Topic

Baby GGG in Pine Valley, Ventana Wilderness January 19-21

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Baby GGG in Pine Valley, Ventana Wilderness January 19-21

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

More in the next post

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

January or February?

There is no GGG planned this year but that does not mean we can’t have a group outing, maybe one with a bit more hiking involved….and quite the dirt road to get there.

I have done this trip twice and it’s a sweet place with enough boulders and rock formations that one can almost think they landed in the Sierra. If I remember correctly it’s 6 miles in from China Camp at Tassajara road, mostly downhill. The drive on Tassajara in long, something like 10 miles, off of Carmel Valley road, off of Highway 1.

Open to suggestion and help ;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Oh, there are several other ways to get there, for those looking to hike more!

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

Hi Kat

i will be visiting San Diego February 16-24.  I would love to hike somewhere like this for a few days.    I’m not familiar.  Can u share a little more detail?

Best. Paul Leavitt

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Paul,

Without looking at the map, I’d say the Ventana Wilderness is just east of northern Big Sur. If you come from the south you’d have to check if the highway is open around Big Sur because it’s been on and off for a while now, but you can get to Carmel Valley road from the east as well as from Highway 1. Tassajara road is a rocky dirt road that ends at a rural Zen center that has some nice hot springs. I have only hiked to pine Valley from China Camp but there are several other routes that get you there. I will try and post some links. There is pkenty of water and a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole not far from the “valley”. Here is a pic of Pine Valley, which reminds  one of the Sierra

Here is what the trail looks like ( picture off the net but a good example of much of the trail down to the valley).

The area burned about 12 years ago and there is plenty of poison oak.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Pine falls

Shortly after starting the hike down from China Camp, this is the view toward the South West. Picture courtesy my then 12 year old Libby.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I was just starting to wonder if this was still a GO :) Yay!

I’m in for either month most likely, but I’d prefer January. My birthday is near President’s weekend and I’ll probably be doing something with the family at that time. I’m pretty sure I could swing it either way

I live in Paso Robles and can drive a few folks from there if anyone is interested in carpooling.

Here is a link to a great planning resource for the area:  Big Sur Trailmap
    It shows all major (and most minor) trails in Big Sur and links to latest trail condition reports. You can also toggle it to the actual “Big Sur Trailmap” which lists all kinds of points of interest.

As Kat mentions, there are several ways to get to Pine Valley. In fact I’ve heard more than once that “All trails in the Ventana lead to Pine Valley.” which I’m sure isn’t totally true but you get the idea :) some of those trails are pretty tough though!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^ January works for me.

Come on folks…let us know what dates might work. I am also able and willing to pick up people at either SFO or the San Jose airport if anyone wants to fly in. We could make this a 4 day trip, at least some of us, to make it worth your while. I can casually host those coming a day early or staying late, but given the space…plan on the floor in the cabin or pitch your shelter among the mountain lions ;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

One thing to be aware of is that there is limited parking at China Camp on Tassajara road. There may be places along the road coming in, but no huge parking lot. Carmel Valley road and the town itself is pretty $$$ and safe so vehicles could be left there and folks shuttled . People hiking in from the west and north have more and better parking options.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jan. 19-21st ? MLK Day.

Full Moon on the 24th.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That works for me Ken. Let’s see if others have a preference here.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Having my other knee done the 16th so won’t make it.  We just did an overnight from China Camp to Arroyo Seco Campground, stayed just beyond Wild Cat Camp down the Church Creek trail.  We then took the Horse Pasture trail to Marble Peak and down to Arroyo Seco. There is room for quite a few cars at China Camp trailhead, along side the road, just beyond the trail head. For those who want to shuttle, cars can be left at Jamesburg at the end of the paved road.  Have fun.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Best of luck to you Marc. Thanks for the info . You will be missed :)

I should have put a version of GGG in the header for this thread. Would have gotten more bites perhaps. Maybe Ken should start this thread again but without having to do the work for it ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Would be great to join y’all, but that’s the weekend I’ll be in Joshua Tree. Have fun and stay away from the poison oak!

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

Can’t do the trip in January.  But the area looks like fun. I’ll look at the logistics for a future trip. Wish you all the best.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

David asked if I knew anything. He might too have something in mind.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

David Gardner?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yep. That was a couple weeks ago.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

This outing interests me, but I have never gone into there so early in the year. I’ve spent plenty of nights in Pine Valley in past years. We sometimes take our local Sierra Club chapter’s beginning backpacking class there in May as one of the outings.

In a very wet winter, Tassajara Road might not always be passable. People I know who have made extended stays at the Zen Center have been stuck there for up to four or five days waiting for the road to dry out.

I’ve also hiked up to Pine Valley from the Carmel Reservoir through Miller Canyon and Hiding Canyon at the end of March, doing dozens of exciting waist-high fords of the swift Carmel River–an experience I’m glad I had, and would not eagerly recommend.

Nonetheless, I’ll be watching this space.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Hopefully the family and I will be able to go…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just select a date and location and people will be there Kat.

I’ve never been to Pine Valley. A social trip with actual hiking would be a great choice.

Coming from Chico with room to spare in the car.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Very Cool!

Ok, I’m in! I will drive down from Idaho, just put the date out, and I will be there. I will have a 4wd and extra seats if help is needed for shuttling etc.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

Any time January or first part of Feb. will be fine with me.  I’ve hiked there many times but long ago.

I’ve made a new CF frame and pack, dyneema tent and 10 deg. quilt… I’m ready.

Les

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My friend and I are interested. Most any weekend in Jan/Feb works.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I’m game for either Jan or Feb.
    Back when I was in High School a group of us hiked from China Camp to Pine Valley to Big Sur. There was snow on the ridges and many large trees down on the trail. We had a blast! Pine Valley has some great rock formations if I remember correctly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools