Topic

Heat rash?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heat rash?

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Chris Horsfield
    BPL Member

@cjhfield

This is likely Exercise Induced Vasculitis. It’s harmless. The dermnetnz site will have all the details.

chris

Jen T
    BPL Member

@the-wandering-pinegmail-com-2

@cjhfield Thanks for posting this reference.   My doctor (s) and I have been trying to figure this out for about 5 years!   Unfortunately, avoiding hiking in the heat is the only cure so far…and I’m not going to stop hiking.   I have found through experience that compression socks, antihistamines and staying hydrated/electrolytes have helped lessen the symptoms.   Its reassuring to see this all posted here.   If anyone wants to know more about Hikers Rash, you can also google Disney Rash…apparently people get it at Disney all the time and have found some relief with topical benedryl.   In addition to Benedryl, I have found that Aloe Vera Gel and elevation help with the recovery process.

I’m not new to hiking or fairly long distances, but am planning my first thru hike this Fall.   Does anyone have experience with Hikers Rash and multi day (or week) trips?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Back to the original question:

Search on “Golfer’s Vasculitis” and “Exercise-induced vasculitis” and look at the images.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Its because of the gaiters. Had the same thing happen during my 5 weeks walking the Cornwall section of the SWCP. Everytime I wore Montbell shorty gaiters with my NB Leadvilles and UL Smartwool PhD ankle socks I would get a rash on one or both ankles. When I did not wear the gaiters, the rash would disappear after a few days. It took me a few wash/rinse/repeat cycles to nail down the cause.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

And what WAS the cause?
    Just too hot?

Sue & I both wear gaiters and have never had this problem, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Cheers

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I have had the same issue for 5 years. You might look up Disney rash. Same thing as golfers rash. Not too much you can do about it. Heat plus sunlight and being on your feet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I had a bad ankle rash a month or so ago.  I stopped wearing Darn Tough wool ankle socks and it cleared up.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

One of our scouts got it at summer camp. The nurse just gave him some topical cream (Benadryl, IIRC). He felt fine and it cleared up.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools