Topic

Heat rash?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heat rash?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

This past weekend  I used the same socks I always wear (Injinji liner with Smartwool  mountaineering socks) and OR Croc gaiters, and much to my surprise, when I took off my gaiters and socks at the end of the day I found red marks around my legs that coincided to the pat of my leg where the wool sock extended beyond the Injinji liner. It did not seem like an allergic reaction because it did not itch at all. I have worn the same wool socks for 10+ years (replace every season with new ones), and used these liner socks all last summer, no problems.

It was hot that day, perhaps 80 degrees or so

The red marks did not itch, or hurt, but sure looked startling!

After being back home for 3 days or so it’s mostly gone.

So, if this IS heat rash, how to prevent? Any ideas?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Did you spray your socks with some new chemical or wash them in a different soap?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Have you hiked in hot weather like that before? I’ve had similar, but less pronounced, heat rash when it’s really hot. Seems to be in areas of tight clothing contact but no friction (as opposed to chafing). It’s never been a problem because the weather always seems to cool down in short order where I hike.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Nope, nothing new. Same socks, same detergent, same boots, same everything…

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I have hiked in hot weather like this before, even hotter, never had the problem.

The area that was affected seems like the area where the liner sock didn’t cover. i.e., where my leg was directly contacting the wool sock. Maybe if I got a liner that went up higher-to isolate my skin completely from the wool? Or, a lower wool sock that doesn’t extend above the liner sock?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Do a google search for allergic contact dermatitis and socks.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I don’t think it is a contact dermatitis. I have had that before (from certain chemicals in sun screen) and it wasn’t at all like that. It seems to be something related to the heat and having the socks being tight – the tops of the socks have a stretchy-ness to them, that grabs your leg to prevent the socks from slipping down,.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Paul, my wife has the same reaction in the hotter weather. It only happens around the uppers of her socks as yours is presenting. She has tried synthetic and wool socks with the same results. I cant say I have seen the same reaction with cotton socks but that’s not really an option. Her reaction dissipates without any permanent scarring ect. No itching or otherwise and not an issue in cooler weather.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Hey Jimmy, yes, your wife’s problem sounds pretty much exactly like mine.

1. It occurs @ uppers of socks
    2. no itching or pain, and dissipates in a couple of days
    Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I’ve had these symptoms (large irregular areas of skin rash with raised swelling, with no itching or pain) around my torso (wearing a T-shirt), ankles, and areas on my legs. This only seems to happen on VERY hot days (high 80’s or hotter with high humidity) with physical exertion (hiking uphill). It goes away in a day or so, does not seem to coincide with any new chemical or food exposure, and is distinctly different than chaffing.

The other condition that often appears on days like this is mild head exhaustion. For me the two conditions go hand-in-hand. Dipping the shirt and especially the hat in water (or preferably putting snow under the hat) is a godsend on hot days like this (cools the brain stem) to sustain energy levels and full mental clarity.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

The other condition that often appears on days like this is mild head exhaustion. For me the two conditions go hand-in-hand. Dipping the shirt and especially the hat in water (or preferably putting snow under the hat) is a godsend on hot days like this (cools the brain stem) to sustain energy levels and full mental clarity.

Yeah, not to derail the thread but I agree 100%. When my head is baked and I am heat fatigued drinking all the water in the pond will not do I for met. But a cool stream soaked shirt well…. Our BPL friend here in the East, if he is reading this, is probably laughing right now. We did a hike in the ADK’s a few weeks ago that turned hot and he witnessed my shirt and hat drenching at every water crossing. I will confess the heat can whip my *ss like nothing else.

Paul, just talking to the wife and she says it takes about a full day to dissipate and it doesn’t happen with cotton socks. A layman’s guess here is its probably the cotton fibers are quite a bit softer and the others when pressed against the skin tightly may dig into the pores of the skin having a slight mechanical reaction but probably not a chemical or allergic one. The other parts of the feet seem to be tougher and not effected.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I get this rash with any socks hiking in hot weather, much worse if I wear gaiters, but even without I’ll get the rash. For me it lasts days to weeks beyond the trip, depending how bad it is. Got it again today actually on an 8.5 mile day hike at 80F. I have wondered if it is something fungal, even with clean socks. It is not on my feet, nor upper legs or anywhere else, just ankles. Today I was wearing Wright socks, sometimes I wear wool or even cotton if it’s just a day hike. I have tried putting baby powder on my ankles prior to the hike and that helps, but doesn’t completely prevent the rash. It is often as bad as the photo above.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Curious, very curious.
    That happens with those big boots – yes?
    What happens when you wear low-cut joggers for a whole day of walking?
    I am wondering whether the redness is warning about excessive rubbing – mild but going on all day.

Cheers

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Certainly not a big boot issue with my wfe. In fact the rash appears above the foot wear. Seems the common denominator so far is heat with a possible skin sensitivity. In coolet weather their seems to be no sensitivity issue.</p>

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

“Curious, very curious.
    That happens with those big boots – yes?
    What happens when you wear low-cut joggers for a whole day of walking?
    I am wondering whether the redness is warning about excessive rubbing – mild but going on all day.”

All I have are pretty stout boots.

New data point: I went scrambling (on Goat Island Peak) in MRNP this weekend. It was at least 10 degrees cooler than the last trip (the one where I got the big red marks). I noticed some very slight red marks, but not nearly as bad as last time. So, I am concluding that it is a mixture of heat and something else that causes it. Without the heat it does not happen.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

1 lb on your feet is roughly equivalent to 7 lb on your back. Think about it. And remember that most BPL members got rid of their boots years ago.
    Have you thought of trying some joggers?

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

1 lb on your feet is roughly equivalent to 7 lb on your back. Think about it. And remember that most BPL members got rid of their boots years ago.
    Have you thought of trying some joggers?

Cheers”

Hi Roger, Well, We do a lot of off trail, and mountaineering, kicking steps up steep snow slopes, with ice axe. Call me a traditionalist, call me cautious, but I don’t trust lightweight foot wear –  14 miles in, where my feet are all I’ve got, I feel that I need to protect ’em. Good solid boots, with a stiff enough sole to kick steps in hard late-season snow. Crocs at camp…

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I used to get blisters as well as heat rash in heavy boots. Now that I’m using low hikers in a larger size at least the blisters are gone, but I still rash up in hot damp weather. Paul have you tried some talcum powder as a preventive? It works partially for me, not completely. I get it wearing gaiters too, if it’s warm and wet.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

There are plenty of people here at BPL who travel over snow in joggers. Just add light-weight crampons or even micro-spikes. It’s not a problem.

Col d’Anterne, France. Joggers.

CAF Refuge de Bonhomme, TMB. Joggers.

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

We’re doing glacier climbs, mountaineering, bashing around the WA Cascades and things like that.Gotta have the boots. :-)  My boots don’t bother me, it’s farther up my legs..and I think it’s a combination of a hot day and tight upper-sock elastic.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Gotta have the boots.
    You do know that Mont Blanc – the highest mountain in Europe, plus other mountains in other countries, have been climbed in joggers?

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mt Blanc could be climbed, on the tourist route, with joggers. I’m sure Rainier could be, and Mt Baker, if all conditions are right. Key word “if”

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Other Paul S here.

Gaiters seem to be the problem, not the boots, since the heat rash is above the boot. Wearing full length waterproofing gaiters in that heat is just crazy unless your postholing constantly.

Stiff shoes can replace boots for kicking steps, wearing crampons and edging. If you do lots of mountaineering check out the Salomon X Alp shoe. It’s suitable for Rainier in the summer months. The integrated gaiter will remove the need for an additional gaiter and the associated trapped heat on the legs (in many cases at least).

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-x-alp-carbon-gtx.html

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Hi “Other Paul S”  !

I may get a short gaiter, just to keep debris out of my boots/socks. I am thinking that might do the trick!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

OP,

Prickly Heat/Heat Rash would be my guess.  I like my OR gators too but they don’t breath worth a crap and unless it’s really cold, everything they cover on me receives a lot more sweat that doesn’t evaporate away.

I’d try limiting their usage to the parts of the terrain where you need them or are wearing crampons.

As far as boots goes, my opinion on footwear is that this is one area where it’s best to figure out what works best for you and go with it, and save the dogmatic UL religious stuff for other things.

As for me and my kit, we are served by LS Wildcats.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools