Topic

grease pot baking experiments

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition grease pot baking experiments

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

1.5 cups flour, 1/2t salt, 1/2t yeast
    added a bit too much water, so added a heaping teaspoon more flour.  thought it might be a bit damps still, but just stopped dinking with it.

rest 20 minutes, knead again.
    put the bag with the bread in my grease pot, left on the water heater.  Looks like a big loaf, maybe too big to fit when it rises.  we will see .

have not made bread before, will I be able to cut the dough ball down after it rises for 16 hours or so, and still have a fluffy loaf?

go to bed

in the morning it has risen a fair amount, greased the pot and put it in.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Baked this guy for an hour, and let it sit in the pot/cone with the lid on another 15 minutes.  Golden brown crust, but a bit dense, especially the bottom crust.  The yeast i used was a bit old, so definitely new yeast for the next go around.  All in all a tasty loaf for sure.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Matt, Old yeast will do that. I don’t knead it around at all, either. Basically, it is a No-Knead Artisan Bread.

For a full loaf:
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    1.5 cups warm water (~100F-130F)
    1 tsp molasses

1) Mix the salt, molasses, water, yeast and let it sit till it foams up…around 10-15 min. This insures all the liquid will contain the same portions of yeast. (Note: This also starts the yeast growing. A good start means a lot less fooling with it later. You can substitute a 1/2 cup milk for a 1/3cup of water and skip the molasses, but this makes the finished bread sweeter, or, a white bread.)

2) In an 4qt bowl, mix the flour and water mixture into a cohesive dough, but do not over work the dough. It will look fairly wet.

3) Cover the bowel fairly tightly with plastic wrap and let it stand in a warm (preferably dark) place for between 6-24 hours depending on the temp, age of the yeast, type of dough, etc. (Note: It will build up pressure, so it needs a place to vent this. A single fork pierce in the plastic works OK.)

3) After the rise, tap it on the counter and remove the plastic. Dust it with flour, remove the dough, and form it into a oblong ball. Let it sit for about 30 min or so, depending on the temp. Then put it into a greased loaf pan and bake it for around 45min at around 450F. (Note: exact oven temp and time is a BIG variable due to altitude, yeast activity and starting temp. Just keep an eye on it while it is cooking noting the temp/time on the pad. Then you can adjust your oven exactly next time.)

OK. For Trail stuff, I usually just make fried dough. But you can split the recipe in half. I set this up before I go.
    1) Substitute 2-3 tbs of powdered milk for molasses
    2) Mix everything together in one big batch, MIX THOROUGHLY.
    3) Split the batch in two or three and place in gallon baggies.
    4) After breakfast, I heat the measured quantity of water and mix this in one of the baggies. When you are done mixing, open it and gently blow in it a bit, and reseal it. Then use a small stick to poke a small hole near the top of the bag. Place this in the hydration sleeve with the pierced hole up. I haven’t had a problem with it, but it can ooze out of the hole, so, you might want a second baggie over it, again with a small hole, or check on it from time to time. It can explode without a hole…don’t ask…
    5) At supper time, I wash my hands off in a stream, oil my hands up with some olive oil then just pull the dough out in rather largeish lumps. I throw the lump into the hot pan (with about 1 or two tbs of olive oil in it) and cover it. 5-15 minutes later (depending on how big) I flip it over. Then repeat the process. Usually I do some camp chores in the waiting time. I cook supper when the bread is done and have it with the fried bread. I usually make a mess of my cooking bandana -wiping my hands off- so this needs to be washed with the pot after I am done. I shoot for two dough balls, since, I usually only eat one with supper. I have one the next day for lunch.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools