Topic

GoLite Mesa Trail 9″ Shorts Replacement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Mesa Trail 9″ Shorts Replacement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Does anyone make anything nearly identical to the old GoLite Mesa Trail 9″ Shorts?  TIA.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

For reference:

Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

You might try a pair of asics. I got a pair at the outlet center for
    20 bones and they weigh about 4.5 0zs.They are a little longer but I did see shorter pairs.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What about the Patagonia Field Shorts? They are 9″ and only 2.7oz. They don’t have pockets however if that is a concern.

The Patagonia 9″ Baggies might be an option as well.

What did you like about the Mesa, was it the weight? The length? Certain features?

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

I have a pair of Nike Dri-FIT shorts that look almost exactly identical. I’m sure there are a plenty of similar running/exercise shorts out there from all of the big names.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

The Nike Freedom 9″ (http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/9-freedom-running-shorts/pid-10662628/pgid-10293837) appears to be close, but has a feature I don’t like.  Hidden zip pocket at the back waist (aka – zipper and pocket material right where your hip belt/back panel will ride).

The things I like about the Mesa shorts are:

1.) Non-bunched elastic waist band.  Instead it is a flat elastic band.  It’s bunched on the outside, but a flat elastic band in the inside.  Only the inside top 1/3″ is bunched, but much smoother than the outside.

2.) 9″ length

3.) Gusseted crotch in both the shorts and the interior “loose” boxer brief liner.

4.) Has a hidden zip pocket, but it is at the side of the butt…not at the waist.

5.) Draw cord on the outside of the shorts.

6.) Ventilated side mesh panels.

I can work with shorts that don’t have a liner.  Either others may get a few crotch shots, or I’ll have to find someone that sells underwear along the lines of a loose boxer brief.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Hmm…looks like the Nike Freedom 9″ shorts pocket doesn’t really run along the back waist as described.  Just a barely higher placement than the old GoLite Mesa shorts:

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I’ve also been looking for a suitable replacement for the Golite Mesas. No luck yet. The loose boxer brief is the real winner for me. Most other running shorts have a tight, hugging brief that’s not nearly as comfortable. The Mesas check all the boxes.

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-strider-pro-shorts-7-inch?p=24665-0     -has boxer brief liner.Alot of trail runners like these

http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Run/Men’s/Apparel/Bottoms/Shorts/Men’s%20Fly%20Endurance%20Short/p/12111501136   I like these…own/use. Great pocket system that holds tons.( back zip lumbar pocket can hold my Note 4 phone) However theses shorts have a tradional liner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools