Topic

Globalcom Satellite Phone Rental

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Globalcom Satellite Phone Rental

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I need to rent a satellite phone for an upcoming trip to the Wind River Range (my wife insisted). I am looking at renting a Globalstar 1700 from Globalcom – they have an unlimited calling plan and the total cost (with shipping and an extra battery) is only $176 for 10 days. Before I pull the trigger I just wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with that phone and/or company and had opinions that they could share.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I would look at Iridium and Inmarsat as Global star are having issues.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Uh-oh – I don’t like issues, but I do like saving money. I tried to Google some details on problems with Globalstar but could not find anything other than not having global coverage (which is not an issue for me since they claim to have coverage across the US). Any details on what kind of issues they are having would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

It’s worth checking out Global stars coverage maps.

Never have used Global Star or Iridium, but have used Inmarsat a lot and no issues with coverage in Colorado.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have rented iridium phones from mobal.com before and been very happy. They are reasonable as long as you don’t use any minutes.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Several years ago Globastar had crappy coverage, more-or-less fixed after they launched new satellites. You might have problems with dropped calls; keep calls short, or plan to call back. Details here.

Impress upon your wife that “no news is no news.” You don’t want her calling out SAR because your battery died early.

Have fun, stay safe!

— Rex

[Second try posting this after the “two-link” bug blew away first try]

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and bit the bullet and rented this one – I already spent enough on this trip! I will report back with any feedback. I have previously rented an Iridium from mobal.com so I have something to compare the experience to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools