Topic

GGG 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I’m in. I’m not active on the forum, but I’ve been to two past GGG’s and am cooking up ideas for a MYOG backpack and look forward to talking to everyone and seeing all the cool gear!

Doug (not that one)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Cool! Will be nice to see you again.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Please count me in….maybe +1 or +2; depending on gf and evil little monkey. (child).

Will be good to see everyone as I missed out last year.

X…..10…..X!!!!???

Holy cow….10 GGGs?

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I know, ten! We use to be young.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

I may  not be young anymore, but immaturity is forever.

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

😛

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Putting out the call for a pickup to haul our wood and water. We will be bringing water and firewood. We should not count on the water truck being replaced and the tanks filled before we get there. So we will try to haul as much in as we can. Of course weather is key.

Happy Holidays everyone. See you in 68 days.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I have to admit that I was unaware of where you were actually meeting. Being from Idaho I just thought I would have to pass; and then I actually looked up the park site, and laughed as I grew up in just north of San Jose in Pleasanton!  I am going to try and make this trip as well!!  I will be the rep from the “mountain states” ! LOL

thanks for putting this on!!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

My bad. Use to call it the Bay Area BPL GGG. Too long, but a better description perhaps. Hope you can make it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

2 months.

Have contests and demonstrations in the works, with prizes.

I will have the OP edited before we get too far ahead with everything you need to know.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Thanks Ken.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Pretty sure I will be there. Thanks for organizing, Ken.

I will donate some Lagunitas and Modelo to the camp.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Ken the GGG was the best thing ever for me and the Ms. after participating on the BPL forums from the E. Coast for years and then moving to the Bay Area and suddenly meeting so many BPL friends in the flesh. Our first one was at Point Reyes. If one or both of us will be back to Norcal by then we’ll be there. Tough to know yet.

Any new folks thinking about going, please don’t hesitate for a second. The people are so welcoming. You’ll make new friends, learn new things and get to play with more lightweight gear in one place than you could imagine.

Thank you again Ken for organizing.  A lot of us owe you a great debt of gratitude.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

See you there.

How do we kick in?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks for asking Ian

If you would like to help fund the event prior you can PayPal me at kenthompson2 at mac dot com   Every dollar is appreciated.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

So….

Newbie Questions –

What do the expenses come to?

How do you usually collect them?

I’m more than happy to contribute. And given your huge contribution of time, coordinating and planning, you shouldn’t have to spend a dime. Don’t be getting subtle on us, just lay it out there.

Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Site costs

Firewood or propane

2 tanks of gasoline

T.P., water, batteries, light sticks, wet wipes, etc…

$500 ish

In the past I set a price per head and tried to collect it all via PayPal before the event. That was just too much work. Everyone has been great with wanting to make sure the costs are covered. So PayPal works for some and others like to settle up in camp. It works. I have donated extra funds to the Pine Ridge Association.

Now, the site costs includes some parking. I normally give these spots to those who have contributed help in the past, are donating something or time/energy. I will let those people know beforehand that their parking is covered and to get your permit at the park h.q.

And as always you will have to purchase a separate parking permit to park at Coe.

Greg if you need help with transportation or anything at all at this end contact me and we will get something arranged. That goes for anyone traveling to get there.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Ken,

Incoming.

I’ve got transportation covered.  I’m assuming you’ll post a FAK regarding necessary details.

So, I’m good.

Thanks.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Can’t wait to see old friends and finally meet some of the other folks that are coming this year.

Any kids coming?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^
    I’ll be there.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

We’ll be there with our two kids (who will be 2 and 5 yo at the time).

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’d love to bring my two monkeys but I don’t think it’ll work out this time around.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Hey everyone, really looking forward to this event and celebrating life with a community of like-minded people!

I haven’t logged onto BPL in months, though I’ve been working with Ken T. behind the scenes to help pull off this event. We’ve discussed logistics, especially with regards to getting enough wood and water to the site. We’re allowed only one vehicle trip to the site, so we need a large van or 4×4 with trailer. Alternatively, we could do food/water relays like we’ve done the last couple of years, with groups of people hiking out with empty packs and back with wood and/or water.

Also planning another shelter tour and various weigh-off and boil off contests. Can’t promise little aluminum badges for the winners this year, but maybe.

See you all soon!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I’ll be there by Friday afternoon. Hoping to bring some new friends and converts to the lighter side of outdoor life.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Thanks for all the info. I am planning on attending from Idaho!

I am looking forward to it immensely!

Please let me know what I need to do to help as well!

thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools