Topic

GGG 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

GGG X  February 16-18th at Henry W. Coe State Park. Morgan Hill, CA.

It is that time of year. Please join fellow BPLers at our tenth annual gathering. Everyone is welcome.

Don’t know what it is? Look here, GGG 9

I will give you all the info right here, so read it through. If you still have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM or direct e mail at kenthompson2 at mac dot com before the event.

• Directions to the park 
    • You will need to pay parking and park in the overflow lot down the road from the Park HQ. The cost is $8 a day. You can pay at the park headquarters if open or use the iron ranger right across the street. The overflow lot may look locked but is not. Close gate behind you.
    • Map showing parking, trails to camp.
    • We will be occupying Manzanita Point Group Camp Sites 4&5. There will be a lighted sign so you don’t walk past if coming after dark.
    • Water tank on the trail near campsite is inoperable. I will have about 40 gallons on hand but please pack some in for your use. Potable water is available at park campground and at the adjacent headquarters.
    • With the water there will be firewood or fire pits to keep warm. Contests and prizes to keep you occupied and entertained. The chance to see one another in person or meet someone for the first time in the flesh. These have always been a great time. Get off the fence and come.
    • Cell reception is spotty at best in the park, don’t count on it.
    • Spread the word.
    • Thanks to those who have contributed to cover the event costs so far.
    • All we need now is good weather and someone to run some contests. David isn’t coming so we need a substitute. You’ll get free parking. It’ll be fun.
    • $10 a head will cover expenses.
    • I have a few parking passes left. Hit me up if you are coming a long ways.

[post copied/moved – MK]

[edit – MK]

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

GGG X 2/16-18 2018 Henry W. Coe State Park 

Camping in the group sites on Manzanita Ridge.

Park information  https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=561

The folks that have the better answers.  http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/

Just because some have been coming for years new folks are always welcomed. So don’t feel weird.

Reach out if you have a question or concern here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Of course Ryan is invited. What a question.

Edit: let’s try for a clickable link

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=561

BPL-BO

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Edited:

It will be at Henry W. Coe State Park 2/16-18.

Currently cannot reserve a spot ahead of time. But not worried about getting space.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Honestly, we’d love to attend a GGG. I don’t know if we can really afford it this year. We are trying to save up to start attending Outdoor Retailer again now that it’s moving to Denver, which is a close drive from where we’re at now (Laramie). We desperately want to pay down BPL debt incurred during the 2008-2011 financial crisis so we’re really trying to minimize “business travel” so we can allocate our funds into the website improvement requests that you all are requesting. If there is any way we can otherwise support it, please drop us a note at [email protected]. We do think the GGG that you’ve created, Ken(s), is one of the best contributions from our entire community, and we wish you all the best in keeping it going!

Plus, it’s X. That’s pretty awesome. On this Thanksgiving Day, I’m really grateful for your contributions to our NoCal community.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well this one will be the last one of these that I will do. So you might miss out. Plus you would have the chance to meet Danny and Aaron in the flesh and make up already. Hugs.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I might make the drive up there

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’ll be there. Thanks Ken for organizing, PM me as I can help out this time. Also, I can bring prizes again to whatever events are held – stove cook off, knife throwing (if Kat comes), brownie baking…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ I am coming . Let the knife throwing games begin.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I’ll be there, if that’s the weekend.  But my brownie baking will take place the day before – can’t do quantity in camp!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Thanks for organizing again Ken. It is very much appreciated. Looking forward to see people in person again – especially the ones that are not so active on BPL any longer for one reason or another.

Manfred — Ban People Less – Be Open. BPL-BO.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks all. Looking forward to it. Made it official up top.

I will be in contact with some of you soon.

Best group of people I’ve ever met.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Manfred, when would you head down?  More relevant, when would it be best to pick up someone from SJC on your way?

Someone with some prizes, caribou stew, caribou sausage, and caribou pastrami (yeah, your ‘bou got done at the processors.)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I am in!

Jay Wilkerson

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

As am I.

Greg Mihalik

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well, if David and Greg will be there, I’ll be there.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Well, hell, if Doug is going….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We are a far flung group. Spread the word to those you think will enjoy themselves. I’ve subscribed to the thread so I can stay on top of things.

I will be driving down from Chico with an empty seat 💺

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

I’ll be there!  I hope to have David G’s dyneema tent finished. But at the very least I’ll bring a few carbon fiber framed backpacks and my latest carbon fiber ukuleles.

Les

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Les, your MYOG UL gear (especially the Ukuleles) was very impressive and I look forward to seeing them again!

I’ll have a few new pieces of gear for folks to fondle. Nothing really MYOG…BUT I should have my purple down Viking helmet (a gift/trade from last year’s GGG) finished up. :)

We will have an extra seat or two and will be driving north from Paso Robles. If anyone from the Central Coast wants to meet up and carpool, shoot me a message.

@here
    Ken, let me know if you need any additional support.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I’m in!

Mark V.
    BPL Member

@room210

Locale: Northern California

I’m am going to try to make this this year (I hope I don’t miss it like I did last year).

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Same here, we will try to make it!

J&A

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Stoked to see Ranger Naber as our contact for info.

This is a bit of a bummer though,

Visitor Centers: The park’s Visitor Centers and adjacent camping and picnicking areas have potable water available at faucets and drinking fountains. These are at the Coe Park Headquarters facility and also at the Dowdy Ranch Visitor Center. Also in the Headquarters area there are 2 poly tanks maintained with water; one at the intersection of Manzanita Point and Poverty Flat Roads; the other at the Manzanita Point Group Camping area. Some special events at the park are provided with a water trailer supplying water.

Note: The water tanks and the water trailer are currently out of service.

So a dry camp. Hopefully we will have vehicle access. Unless repaired in time.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

David,

I’m flexible. Friday after work is a given, but I could already leave after lunch or even take Friday off and go Thursday after work.

Manfred — Ban People Less – Be Open. BPL-BO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools