Topic

Geologic Time is Now

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Blog Posts Geologic Time is Now

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Companion forum thread to: Geologic Time is Now

“The earth moves,” Jack said. “Geologic time is now,” said Kirsten. I had pointed to a red scarp of bare earth across the valley, and asked if anyone

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Learning to see the world first through an ecologist’s eyes, and then a geologist’s eyes, has been my blessing and curse for many decades. While shopping for a new home, I’ve vetoed many locations before pulling into the driveway. Yet the house next door might be in a completely acceptable spot. The same is true for backpacking camp sites.

People have erased natural and human-made disasters from history since we first started telling stories. Yet, IIRC, some decades-old Yucca Mountain waste disposal studies proposed deliberately inserting “this is a bad place” stories into our culture to help keep people away from radioactive nightmares for 10,000 years. Which would probably work fine, until a future developer renamed it “Glowing Acres” and built subdivisions and schools on top.

The historical records of many major earthquakes were deliberately destroyed to encourage growth or “preserve property values.” Even memorials to earthquake victims get vetoed.

Indigenous knowledge and practices informed by millenia of living there can be invaluable if we choose to listen and learn.

— Rex

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools