Topic

FS: enLIGHTened equipment 0°F Epiphany cuben fiber quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Swap FS: enLIGHTened equipment 0°F Epiphany cuben fiber quilt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

FS: enLIGHTened equipment 0°F Epiphany cuben fiber quilt

0.51 oz cuben fiber for the inside and outside fabric

6’6’’ regular width

0°F quilt with 30% overfill

weighting a little under 850g

The bottom of the quilt and the foot box were sealed with 0.51 oz cuben fiber and double sided cuben fiber tape. It can be taken off to bring back the quilt to it’s normal configuration which can be opened like a blanket.

Used on 3 nights that were averaging -15°C. Paid 450$

Stored fully lofted.

Asking 300$ usd including shipping.

If you are interested, contact me by email at: [email protected]

Brian Roach
    BPL Member

@brianjroach

Locale: Oakland Hills

who’s your photographer?

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

Myself, is there anything wrong?

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

what? how does this work – condensation isn’t an issue…?

Greg Borton
    BPL Member

@aktroutbum

Locale: Chugiak, Alaska

Please excuse may ignorance, I’m just trying to figure out how your quilt works. I understand that the foot box is sealed up with CF tape, but does the rest of the quilt open up? Also, what is the CF material for that appears to be hanging off the bottom/foot end? From the pictures it the quilt appears to be more or less totally sealed up throughout the length of it, like a sleeping bag that is zipped up. It also appears like a pretty tight fit, ie., pretty small circumference. Is this accurate?
    Thanks

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

It is like wearing a vbl in a winter sleeping bag. You can see at the end of the quilt (picture 3) that there is loose cuben fiber tube. I think the design is similar to a packraft pump. You fill that pouch with air, seal the end and press on it to fill the quilt.

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

Originally the quilt could be opened. I sealed it to prevent draft which made it warmer. The hanging material is a tube that you use to pump air into the quilt. It is a thigh fit because of the overfill. This restricts air movement and prevents hot air from escaping through the collar. Your body will crush the excess insulation. There is, however, a limit to this, I would not recommend it to a bulky man.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

So how do you get into it? Or ventilate?

Looks like perhaps an expensive experiment. :^(  Done a few of those myself.

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

You just slide yourself in (last picture). For all questions regarding ventilation and breathability, I suggest that you explore the world of Vapor Barrier Liners. The quilt is cheaper and lighter then a high end sleeping bag of similar temperature. You also save the weight of a vbl on long trips and bivy bag if you sleep in a snow shelter. It is for very specialized needs.

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

got it – thanks for the info – sorry to distract from the sale of your awesome looking bag!

Daniel Heuschele
    BPL Member

@heuschele

I own the 20 degree version of this quilt.  This is my opinion of my quilt – both the good and the one bad.

As another poster indicated the non-bag end is a billow but it is also the compressed stuff sack.

On the positive it is the lightest quilt for its fill possible.  The baffles use a sealing and is lighter than if the baffle seams were sewn with thread (some of my baffles have separated but it is now a well used quilt – Possibly 100 nights of use).   It also packs small.  I like the fact that the compression bag is integrated with the bag.  The quilt when not taped (when it is as EE provided it) can definitely fit normal thick men (I am 5’10, 185 lbs and it was wide enough to fit me with more room than most backpacking sleeping bags).  It is also as warm as EE claims (i.e. my 20 degree quilt initially was able to keep me warm in 20 degree temps).

The only thing I do not like is the breathability.  It did not work to my liking so it is now my 13 year old son’s quilt.  I also note EE no longer makes a Cuben Fiber quilt/bag and I am confident it is because of complaints regarding the breathability of the material.  On the cold nights I would close the quilt up with no air flow and I would get warm and fall asleep (I am a real sound sleeper).  I would wake up in a sweaty quilt (which is why it is now my son’s quilt).  Warmer nights are no issue (where the quilt is not sealed all around you and therefore there is some air flow). and I initially kept the bag for these warmer nights (my 20 degree Cuben fiber quilt was 14 oz which is light for any quilt and worked well when the temp was not below freezing and it was acceptable to have some air flow).

I used my quilt in 20 degree temps at 11’K in the Sierras and sweated a lot in the quilt (initially warm but woke up to a sweaty quilt).

If I were to get this quilt again I would not get it down to 20 degrees.  If I had the 40 degree Cuben fiber quilt I would have a light quilt for when I desire something to cover but it is not so cold that I desire no air flow.  I suspect a 40 degree version of my quilt would be less than 11 oz.  It would likely work great in 40 degree temps where a little air flow is not freezing when allowed to get to the body.

For my quilt to work for me in cold temps I would need to wake up at the first trace of condensation issues which I did not.  So this may be a good quilt for a light sleeper (not me).  I would think it also could be a good quilt for someone that can use it with air flow which is not me when it is real cold.

Again this is my perspective.  My son loves the quilt and he also is a real sound sleeper but does not seal the quilt as tight around himself.  When he goes on difficult backpacks he loves the light weight (he can base for Sierras at 6 lbs).

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

Price lowered to 250$.

Antoine Raymond
    BPL Member

@antoineraymond

Sold.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Gear Swap’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!