Topic

Front Entrance vs. Side Entrance

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Front Entrance vs. Side Entrance

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

As a strictly solo bper, entry wins on ergonomic grounds, front on structural and tight site selection grounds, and side entry/ ergonomics becomes more and more important with advancing age and loss of mobility. With front entry, as Jenny suggests, it helps if you can stand up with feet inside the tent with entry open (as in the Big Sky Soul 1P) as a prelude to commencing entry operations – if it ain’t raining – but entry (I find) is still not graceful. Age is a bitch. But Bruce raises the interesting aside of using a tarp, and Eric makes the distinction of front versus side entry to a tarp depending on weather. I’m finding with solo use of a square tarp, most pitches become variations on the storm pitch, and hence front entry, though the pyramid pitch works for either; but last Friday, I got the side entry working well with the tarp in a Adirondack variation, though I suspect the windage is likely to be greater with those side entry variations. The Whelen lean-to seems to me perhaps the archetypal developed form of the tarp in terms of habitability, and that is also side entry. [Pyramid as in HMG photos of their square tarp pitch].

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools