Topic

Freestanding vs Non freestanding tent for traveling abroad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Freestanding vs Non freestanding tent for traveling abroad

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kirtland D
    BPL Member

@fukuromomonga

I currently own a Zpacks Altaplex tent. I plan to start traveling abroad frequently in the coming year or so, but am worried about the flexibility of this tent abroad. Would I be better off going with a freestanding tent? I either plan to keep and use my Altaplex, or try and trade it for a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2.

For clarification, my travelling will be fairly general. Backpacking through Asia, Europe, etc. I am just worried that I would have trouple setting up my stakes for the Altaplex but would generally prefer to keep that specific tent instead of the Big Agnes.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I started with a copper spur ul2 and let me say that it would be quite stuffy without the fly staked out so imo you would still want to stake it out and therefore wouldn’t avoid using stakes.

Kirtland D
    BPL Member

@fukuromomonga

Yes, I planned on still using the basic stakes for the fly. The biggest difference I guess is that if it is just for the fly, rocks would be easier on those guylines. I feel like rocks would be harder to use to set up the entire shelter vs. just using it to pull the fly out.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Most people around here don’t give much love to freestanding designs.   I prefer them but you do pay a weight penalty and you still use stakes.    The stakes are just much less critical and you do have additional site flexibility.

For a solo I’m really liking the looks of the new REI QD1.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools