Topic

freestanding tent, what bags can I leave at home?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) freestanding tent, what bags can I leave at home?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Hi all,

So, my question comes from an organizational perspective. I have a Copper Spur 2 tent.

Im wondering about whether or not to bring the bag for the stakes/guy outs and the bag for the tent poles. I know I can leave them all behind but wonder if that may not pay off in terms of organization. And by the way, where do you suggesting packing the poles, inside the bag or on outside middle pocket of back pack?

I know some people may suggest leaving behind the footprint but I will take it bc the materials are thin/delicate on the Copper.

thank you!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

At times I have used a bag for the pegs, mostly I have a rubber band around them . They go with the poles.
    I fold the tent to its stuff sack width then roll it up using the poles and pegs.
    BTW, clean the pegs (stakes) and poles before storing them.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I always store my pegs in a light bag and separate to the tent – usually the top pocket of my pack along with my spoon, knife, spot etc..  I don’t want to find holes poked in the increasingly thin tent fabrics. Poles are usually wrapped in the tent so no pole bag required. I keep the pegs and poles separate so that the poles don’t get gouged etc. which can create a weak point.

I have never bothered with a footprint but it is unusual to camp on bare rock over here. If I knew I would be camping on gravel/granite I expect I would take a footprint.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

If I take my Hubba Hubba HP (can’t get my girlfriend to sleep in a shelter without an inner) I put the poles/stakes in a cuben pole bag and put it inside my pack, totally on the side. The fly and inner is packed in a 11L stuff sack.

Works for me, easy and quick.

Alex M
    Spectator

@alexm

You could pick up a lightweight tyvek envelope from the post office as a cheaper alternative to cuben fiber

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

My preference is to just pick up my shelter, shake it and drop it into the bottom of my empty pack (the pack is my stuff sack).  I use sil dry bags for my clothes and bag so wet and dirt aren’t a concern.  The only time I use stuff sacks, is when I don’t want dirt or wet from the shelter to get onto my gear.   On longer trips, if I need inside pack space I will strap my shelter to the outside of my pack in the stuff sack.  I like tent poles to be strapped to the side of my pack.   When I take my Tarptent Notch, I just stuff the shelter into the bottom of my pack while holding onto the struts at each end of the shelter and run them up the inside edge of the pack (held in place by a dry bag.  Very quick process, and no fuss with stuff sacks (and very compact).

As for stakes, I roll mine up in a small piece of pack towel that I also use to clean up muck off my shelter floor.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

It’s really dependent on you and what you feel comfortable with: some have no issues without bags.  For me everything is in neatly organized bags.  Sure, I’m carrying an extra oz or two, but being able to find everything easily is well worth it to me.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I put a rubber band around the poles, and carry them in one of the side water bottle pockets of my pack.  Haven’t had a problem yet with that.  The stakes are in a teeny tight cuben sack, with another rubber band around that.

Tent body is folded up and carried either inside my pack (if dry) or under the over-the-top strap (if wet).

I really don’t think you need stuff sacks for tent organization — I’d suggest you save those extra ounces for protecting down clothing/sleeping quilts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools