Topic

1P+dog Tent options (DuoMid, TarpTent)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1P+dog Tent options (DuoMid, TarpTent)?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

no, the deschutes can’t get any lower to the ground at the door – it’s the design.  I really like it, actually, but not such a good thing for my escape artist….Now, if it had the perimeter netting that might be different.  I’m not sure my guy could negotiate that.  kind of like Spidey’s web……..

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

After a season’s usage, here’s my experience.  No surprises really, all the advice was spot on.

I got the Deschutes Plus and it fit my LW pad and the Z-lite short nicely for me and my dog. As suspected, she would not stay inside since it was not fully enclosed (spot on, Jen!). I’m not sure if an even pitch all around would have stopped her from wriggling out (e.g. DuoMid).  She really wanted to stand guard in front of the tent and patrol the camp (and check on all the other tents).  I resorted to leashing her to my wrist and leaving the door open.  Weather was nice so it worked until she chewed my main guy line when I didn’t wake up earlier enough for her! :(

After that experience I got a TT Double Rainbow off of Gear Swap.  Lives up to its rep, great tent, room and fully enclosed so no escaping dogs.  I could probably fit both dogs inside if I was brave/crazy enough to bring them both.  Love the tent.

I’m hanging onto the Deschutes for when I don’t need the extra room or bug protection, since it’s less than half the weight and packed size, but the DW is so much nicer it will be hard to leave it at home!

TL;DR – The TarpTent Double Rainbow was the answer.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

What’s your reasoning for buying the perimeter mesh, Paul? Is it to keep the bugs out, or to keep your dog in? The latter may make more sense than the former, but it does depend on how determined an explorer your dog is. The mesh is pretty fine, but it also snags on twigs and other objects on the ground, so don’t expect it to stay new looking past your first trip.

I had the perimeter mesh on a SuperMid. If I were to order it again, I’d not bother with the mesh after all. I found it cut down on airflow even when pitched high, and for some reason mosquitos that got inside (eg whenever I opened the door) would fly up to the peak and out of the vent there. In fact I removed the mesh covering the vent to enable their exit.  I live in Colorado, and mosquito counts at altitude are relatively low vs other parts of the country.

(Edit: oops, missed the last two posts and your end of season summary. Still, I’ll leave the comments in place about perimeter mesh for anyone looking in future.)

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I got the perimeter mesh primarily to keep flying bugs out.  Adding a net tent would make it too small with a dog, but that’s now irrelevant since they won’t stay inside.

Going solo I don’t need the extra space, so a bug nest like the S2S one would probably be lighter and allow me to have the door open and have bug protection.  One thing I love about the TTDR is I can have a wonderful cross breeze and hide out from the bugs when it’s really hot and buggy.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools