Topic

1P+dog Tent options (DuoMid, TarpTent)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1P+dog Tent options (DuoMid, TarpTent)?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I’m planning on some solo trips and bringing one of my dogs when possible.  My current setup is geared for 2 people, 2 dogs so I’m looking at a smaller and much lighter shelter option for a 1+ setup, and on the low end of cost if possible (hoping to find used).

My sleeping pad is a LW (77x25x2.5) and I’d like to fit in a short Z-lite for the dog.  I’m concerned my LW pad is too long for the DuoMid and/or I can’t fit a short pad as well.  I’m also looking at the Moment DW and Protrail, but they both look too narrow to fit a short pad with a LW pad.

I do camp above the tree line with high winds (or freak snowfall, never know at high elevation), so I’m favoring a more durable shelter like a Mid or a 3+ season tent.

Also, does anyone have experience with the DuoMid perimeter netting?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you are wanting a slightly larger mid than the Duomid you might look into the Locus Gear Happi or the pricey HMG Ultamid 2.  Both are larger but end entry mids.

If you want something just longer I have heard of Locus Gear making some custom mids extra long so that might be an option.

If you want something even wider a MLD Duomid XL might be a contender.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

After reviewing the DuoMid specs it does seem to have plenty of room length-wise for a long pad.  I don’t need the full length of the pad, just like the width, so I don’t have to worry about my face in the edge, just getting the pad to fit.  Hapi looks like a solid option as well.

The DW Moment also looks very solid, but might be too narrow.  I suppose if I really wanted I could overlap my pad a bit on the CCF.  Squall 2 is nice but I don’t think it meets my weather-resistant requirements.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Many LW solo tents can’t take a wide long mat alone never mind adding a short mat …
    I would suggest the TT Double Rainbow , that takes 2 wide mats and by the time you add the weight of the fly and separate inner on other shelters you will find that it is lighter than some.
    Henry Shires used the single Rainbow for himself and his largish dog.
    franco@tarptent

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

I use extendable CF poles, makes sense to use them but not a requirement.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Anyone have experience with the DuoMid perimeter netting? Or know how much weight it adds?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

How big is your dog?

I use both Duomid and Duplex with my 60 lb dog with no problems. My height is 5’9″ and I have plenty of room in either.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Bob, how does the Duplex floor do with dog claws?  I’m planning a trip with my 75# chessie, and a little worried about this.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

my 80# golden retriever mutt has done just fine on my cuben floors (lots of different tents/ground cloths/etc).  The only one he had issues with was my original hexamid with the mesh floor – he always managed to put his foot (as did I) where the ground sheet WASN’T…

i’ve never had him puncture any sil or cuben floor I’ve ever used *just the mesh one*

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Bob, how does the Duplex floor do with dog claws?  I’m planning a trip with my 75# chessie, and a little worried about this.

Same here as with Jen and her dog… no problem at all, and I never clip my dog’s claws. We’re very often out doing trail runs and hiking, so the tips of his claws stay smooth from all the normal abrasion. He’ll occasionally get a ragged claw tip or two after scrambling up a rock, but even these have caused no problems. Same with the tyvek ground sheet I use with the Duomid, and a few times we’ve used a Stephenson Warmlite 2RS with silnylon floor, also with no damage. I also don’t use an additional groundsheet under the tent floor. It’s good that he learned very early on to settle down immediately when we enter the tent.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

My dogs are 40 and 65 lbs. I can only handle one while solo so only need space for one.  It seems the DuoMid would fit us with plenty of room.

A TarpTent like the Double Rainbow would be cheaper and more protective from bugs and rain with the bathtub flooring, which would make site selection easier. I don’t have experience with floorless shelters, hard to know if I need a floor or just think I do so I always have used standard FS tents.

Am I right to think either the TT DR or DuoMid should be sufficient for above tree line camping and occasional shoulder season snow?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I would not want to use the Double Rainbow for shoulder season above treeline. It might be able to handle it okay, but I think it’s meant for milder conditions.

What about the Six Moon Designs Haven tarp + net tent? Or the Tarptent Stratospire 2?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I know I may be speaking heretically in SUL weight terms but I love my Tarptent Moment DW as a 4 season tent. If I had a dog it would remain outside the inner tent in one of my two vestibules.

Just as I’d never permit a dog in my bed at home so I’d never permit one inside my tent. To paraphrase Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry, “A dog’s gotta know his limitations.”

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ken,

Do you count your own flea collar in your base weight? ;o)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Paul :
    “I’m also looking at the Moment DW and Protrail”
    The Moment DW does not have room for a wide mat plus a short std mat not even having the mat in the vestibule.(maybe with some fiddling and a small to med size dog…)
    The Pro Trail can sort of do it but if you are in an area where you get a lot of condensation your SB would brush against a potentially wet wall.
    The StratoSpire 1 will take the short mat inside one of the vestibules leaving you plenty of space in the other as well as some floor space.
    I still think that the Double Rainbow is the best compromise.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Thanks Bob and Jennifer, that gives me some peace of mind.  I’ve taken Floyd on many trips over the years with no trouble, but that was before I had a $600 tent….

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Hi Franco,

Can you comment on how the TT DR performs in shoulder-season (e.g. strong winds, light snow)?  I’m not planning on crazy weather, just want it to hold up if the conditions get ugly for a night.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Paul,

I better leave those comments to user of that shelter.

(I have used a Rainbow in those conditions but I have a very biased opinion anyway…)

David Anderson
    BPL Member

@kickemall

Locale: Northcoast of Ca.

Seek Outside BT2.  Takes wind and snow well and is reasonably priced (in fact I believe there is one in the gear swap now).  Plenty of room for a dog but it is floorless.  The way its designed with the sod skirt you can zip it up and pretty well keep bugs out.  You need to be proficient at dealing with condensation but with two doors its not that big of a deal.  Theres a little more info on the home page as it was one of the 2015 staff favorites.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

What about the SMD Deschutes Plus?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

I’ve done a bit of research on SMD, since the Dechutes Plus is new it’s hard to find much first hand experience. Based on reviews of the discontinued Wild Oasis it sounds like they aren’t very wind worthy, so I’m back to DM or TTDR, which is too bad since the price is very reasonable.

From an ease of pitch, footprint/space ratio it seems TTDR is the better option. DM is lighter and more weather resistant. Choices…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

i’ve used an embarrassing number of shelters over the past 15 years – and for the past 8 with my 80# mutt.  I have sold everything except for the deschutes and my duomid.  For the pup – the duomid is totally the way to go.  You cannot have an easier set up (4 pegs, pole in the middle – done).  I keep the inner net attached all the time if I need one – the single if it’s just me and need bug protection or the duo if it’s the pup and I needing bug protection.  Or NO inner if there’s no bug stuff.

The deschutes might be problematic with MY dog because the front is more open than the duomid (maybe a foot off the ground?).  It did really well in high winds in Big Bend last weekend (I mean REALLY high winds) so I would not at all call it less storm worthy. But CharlieDog likes to explore early in the morning, so when he’s with me I need to keep him confined and the slightest gap between the tarp and the ground = escape!  But if your dog won’t do that, the Deschutes is a fine choice.

I’m just a huge fan of the duomid and all the choices I have with it.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Great insight Jennifer. Can the Dechutes be pitched lower to narrow the gap?  I’m pretty much set on a perimeter net on a DM or the Deschutes Plus if I go the floorless route.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools