Topic

Evernew 0.9L pot on 1.3L sized Sidewinder?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Evernew 0.9L pot on 1.3L sized Sidewinder?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to use a 0.9 L wide Evernew pot on a Ti Tri Sidewinder that is sized for a 1.3L wide Evernew, while still retaining fuel efficiency and boil times? Anyone done this successfully? Ideally I’d like to use the Starlyte stove with the 900 ml pot. Thanks!

Justin Lafrance
    BPL Member

@argon

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I only own the 0.9L Evernew and Ti Tri, so I can’t say for sure but I don’t think it would work. The 1.3L pot is wider:

Evernew 0.9L: 5.6″ (13.5 cm)
    Evernew 1.3L: 6.25″ (15.9 cm)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

No it will not work, each cone is made for a specific pot.You can use a Starlyte stove with either pot but not the cone.

From their website

The Caldera Cone is sized to fit your pot/mug so each cone is a different size

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I think you could use the .9L pot inside a 1.3L cone if you used stakes. It would certainly “work” but the question is how well. One of the advantages of the Starlyte is that it’s much shorter than the 12-10 stove, so the pot can rest on the Sidewinder cone via it’s brim rather than using stakes.

I’m not sure if there are stake holes that exist in the cone at about the right height, so you could make the best of what’s there, or add new ones. If your pot is too high the stove will burn faster and you’ll get pretty quick boils but reduced economy. If the pot is too low you’ll get the opposite. The ideal is 1.2″ between the top of the stove and the bottom of the pot but anywhere from .8″ to 2″ works reasonably well.

Justin Lafrance
    BPL Member

@argon

Yes, you could use the stake holes in the 1.3L cone to support a 0.9L pot, however you’d end up with a large gab around the sides of the pot. That’s fine if all you want is a standard windscreen but you’re not really getting the benefit of the cone as such. It’s probably just best to buy a cone that matches your pot. If you contact Trail Designs directly and tell them you’ve already purchased a kit for the 1.3L pot and now just need the cone for the 0.9L pot, they’ll probably let you buy the cone on its own.

I use the Starlyte stove with the 0.9L pot and caldera cone (no stakes needed). It works great. You can even add a little simmer ring if you want to do real cooking.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools