Topic

EE Enigma sizing: Reg/Wide vs Short/XWide?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EE Enigma sizing: Reg/Wide vs Short/XWide?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

After looking again at labor realities,* I’m considering an EE Enigma. I’d appreciate some sizing advice from Enigma owners who are short, broad, side sleepers.

I’m 5’4″, 170, with 49″ shoulders, 36″ waist, and 39″ hips. I sleep curled up and I toss and turn a lot. The Short/XWide would seem the obvious choice, but adding width is more expensive than adding length, because a 10F Enigma in Reg/Wide is $10 less than a 20F Enigma in Short/XWide. I’m a cold sleeper, so more down for less money is appealing to me. And the Reg/Wide is still a generous 58″, with which a half taper gives 3″ extra length at that width besides.

Have any Enigma owners made a similar decision and how has it worked out?

*(Namely: is a down quilt within my skill level at this time? No. And: are there simpler projects I could complete that would in aggregate increase my outdoors enjoyment more than a DIY quilt? Yes.)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I’m 5’9″, 175, and I found the X-Wide to be too big even when I weighed closer to 200. I simply couldn’t keep the drafts out on a 77×25″ X-Therm pad and was cold several degrees above the quilt’s rating. I’ve since ordered a Wide to replace it, and I was advised that should be perfect for my side sleeping / active rotisserie habits. I had a Prodigy in Wide a couple of years ago, and that worked well for me.

Bottom line, there is such a thing as too much material.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Similar width measurements as you but 6’1″ and 220 lbs. I have an Enigma and a Revolution both Reg/Wide and they are perfect for this side sleeper. Suspect Short/wide will work the charm for you .

Also, EE’s size recommendations when contacted via email were both prompt and spot on…consult the experts :)

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

52″ shoulders here, a tad under 5’6″, 160 lbs, side sleeper, and for low temps I got a 20°F EE Enigma in Short/Wide.

I use 2 other EE quilts for warmer weather, and those are in Reg. width, which is just dandy when ground-dwelling, but for my “cold” quilt I knew I’d greatly benefit from the Wide.

This decision has served me well for more than a year now.

Regretfully, my Short EE quilts (all 3 of them) come somewhere at being about 4″ too long for me, which is extra weight with no extra benefit, but the next size down – the XS – would be way too short since Tim M sizes the lengths in 6″ increments.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I have a revelation reg xwide and its a bit too wide unless i wear my BIG poofays to sleep

for normal use a wide should be fine

im 5’6 and 180 lbs

as to quilts, while they are more flexible, they require a bit more skill to use near their limit vs a mummy

dont forget to order a hood as well

;)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful.

Stuart, I hadn’t really considered the possibility of too much width being a problem, so thank you for that feedback.

John, I hadn’t thought about going straight to a Short/Wide, but that makes sense to consider. But IVO, could you say more about the Short being too long at 5’6″?

Thanks, eric (there’s more people closer to my size here than I thought!). My previous tries with quilts have all been too narrow. I think with proper sizing my learning curve will be pretty short. :)

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I am thinner than you at 5’8″ 155lb but am also a side/rotisserie sleeper. I had a reg/wide Revelation and ended up selling it off and getting a reg/reg Enigma, except I had Tim make it 2″ shorter, so actually between a reg and short length. That length is perfect for me, and so is the regular width (I found the wide width of my previous Revelation to be too much — a little drafting like Stuart described but mainly just too much empty space inside to keep warmed). From what you describe I would think the short/wide would work well.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

IVO, could you say more about the Short being too long at 5’6″?

Sure.

I am told I spend about 20% of my sleep on my back (fully stretched), and 80% – on my side (legs curled a bit). When I’m getting to fall asleep I’m always on my side.

My warmer weather quilts are a Revelation X 30°F and recently a synthetic Prodigy 40°F. Both of them are about 6″ too long (extending above my eyeborws if I decide not to tuck the collar area around my neck. Tucked, there is perhaps 4″ of excessive material.

The 20°F Enigma is perhaps about 3″ too long when tucked (it is at eyebrow-length when untucked – feels a bit shorter than the thinner quilts due to its extra fill).

I am aware that Tim would have customized my quilts if I requested it – it is just that I am too cheap to ask for a custom order. Hence, I pay the price by carrying a bit more quilt (lengthwise) than I really need.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools