Topic

Delorme inReach Strap Clip – How do you deal with the "safety teeth" ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Delorme inReach Strap Clip – How do you deal with the "safety teeth" ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The inReach comes with a clip for attaching to a loop or pocket  –

Each leg of the clip has a “tooth” or prong that keeps the inReach from sliding up and off –

– and for me they make it impossible to unclip the inReach from a shoulder strap loop without using two hands. (I need it easily accessible without removing my pack.)

I’d like to be able to clip and unclip with one hand while wearing my pack, so I’m thinking of filing these things off.  I would add a shockcord retention loop that would prevent the unit from accidentally falling off.

Are you a one-handed unclipper? How do you do it?

Tips and Tricks appreciated.

Thanks.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I HATE those things.  But I have to say, they do keep the device from falling off the straps…..

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Agree, they’re a pain, but since I rarely remove it during the day, I haven’t found them to be a big enough nuisance to do anything about them.  Did yours not come with a retention cord?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I usually wear it on my sternum strap where I can use two hands. I’ve got a short leash of Lawson’s utility cord and a tiny biner that clips to the D ring on my shoulder strap to ensure I don’t leave it behind. It’s just long enough for me to message without unclipping the leash.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Remove the whole belt clip and put it in a shoulder pocket. It does come off.

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?/topic/21116-how-to-remove-belt-clip-from-inreach-se/

scroll down halfway for photo

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

“I HATE those things”  x 2

I removed the clip and use a camera strap instead.  I tether it to a pack strap and keep it in a side pocket where I can access it w/o taking off my pack.  Similar to this:

It never failed to send a location signal for the entire SHR.

Hope this helps.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hate that clip as well. Thanks to Ken’s link, I’m going to remove the clip, then glue a piece of velcro onto the back of the device, and wrap the ‘other side’ of the velcro around whichever strap I want to keep it on, while still using the cord-tie to ensure it doesn’t get lost.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Three “I HATE THAT CLIP” confirmed my feelings.

So I filed off the “teeth”

and added a piece of webbing to support the inReach, and a piece of 1″ elastic to capture the antenna.

With one hand I can push the elastic up and off with my thumb,  then easily lift the inReach up and off.  It goes back on without looking, and when I loop the elastic over the antenna it is locked in place.

Next up are my distance pack and then my waders.

Thanks All.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The elastic is smart. A+

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools