Topic

CPAP for backcountry.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CPAP for backcountry.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“What are the symptoms of a problem that would be fixed by using a humidifier?”

Nasal congestion in the morning that lasts all day (for me.) Or dry, chapped nostrils.  Living in Oregon means that you might not need a humidifier. Most nights I use very little water from my tank humidifying the air. My machine has a sensor for humidity in the air. I’m in the summer fog belt so the air stays pretty moist most of the time.

Jerry, I bet that you could buy a humidifier made for your model cpap for not much at all. You might like it during the drier winter months, especially if you turn the heat on in your house–RH goes way down indoors with the heat on. Cpap.com sells them.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For what it’s worth…

Recently I began using a DenTek thermal fitted mouth bite guard at night B/C I was grinding my teeth. My wife reported that I rarely snored and when I did it was not loud as it used to be.

I’ve never been diagnosed for sleep apnea so maybe I should go get it done just for my one information.

Try the bite guard if you have mild sleep apnea.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a humidifier on my CPAP but I never put water in it.  Maybe I get a little congested during the day so should try putting water in it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Just don’t let a squirrel drown in your humidifier and you’ll be fine.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“issues with polluted water in the humidifier case never ever came up.” That was my problem. Didn’t realize I was breathing bad air until I got very sick and the pets all died. Fortunately the humidifier was in the living room, located well away from the bedroom, or I might have died right along with them.

All of the CPAP machines they gave me did use water like a hookah, to filter. Despite other filters, chemicals in solution in the water might come through in the air being inhaled.
    That is what happened with the humidifier, despite the filters in it. I think that anything outside of a hospital that forces inhalation of air while sleeping may be inherently dangerous. I guess that I’ve experienced enough outrageous behavior from the medical profession that I’ve had to learn to not be overly trusting. But realize that apnea has a variety of different causes, some more readily treated than others, and in some situations a CPAP machine may be the only choice. I’ve shared my experience so folks will be aware of some possible dangers.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Sam, I’ve never, ever seen a cpap machine that uses water to filter the air. So non hookah cpaps are definitely available, and are the norm.

Good of you to share your experience with your floor humidifier. Sorry about your pets.

Anonhuman1234
    BPL Member

@mikronixx

Everyone, thanks for your replies and input.

I have not yet tried to go out for an overnight trip since i started using a CPAP.

Sleeping with a CPAP does make a huge difference in my life, to the point that when my last one broke several years ago I could not effectively sleep until replaced.

It looks like the best idea is for me to just get out there for a night, and see what happens.  And lose some weight! It could save me quite alot of money.

Thanks again,

MIke

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

maybe talk to your doctor about it?

there’s the quality of life you can determine, and the risk of heart disease or whatever that may not be obvious.  Maybe the doctor would have an opinion about the risk of occasionally going without CPAP.

From your sleep study, if you have severe sleep apnea.  If your apnea isn’t as bad when sleeping on your side and you can do that as is typical I believe.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

The Transcend (or a similar device, see Cpap.com) is the best option for actual backpacking I believe. Or  you can easily get a portable battery for your home machine and bring it with you to a trailhead. Then you could do some major day hikes and return to the machine for sleep. An electrical outlet at a campsite or even your own car battery can be used to recharge the portable battery. So you could travel around to various trail heads and still hike that way over many days.

This isn’t perfect but if apnea is stopping you from being out otherwise, this isn’t a bad second choice.

I never used anything but nasal strips and got by pretty well backpacking. But everyone’s different. I always use my cpap at home.

Wannabe Adventurer
    Spectator

@wannabeadventurer

I have backpacked in various places around the world and I always hiked with a CPAP.  I am unfortunate to have severe sleep apnea, no surgery options for myself.  I have tried a lot of batteries and machines and ended up with a setup that has allowed me to hike USA national parks, Australian bush, Arctic circle and the Inca Trail.  If anyone needs more info, this is what I ended up with.  Not cheap, but I use it a lot so I get my moneys worth out of it.

https://www.wannabeadventurer.uk/single-post/backpackingwithcpap

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

This sounds like a business opportunity.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Wannabe said:

I know that Transcend multi night battery lasts 14 hours at low elevation, so this is good for 2 nights.  If I am at elevation then I use the solar to just charge the battery and get another hour or so to cater for the battery loss.  Worst case scenario if there is no sun I reduce the sleep to 6 hours per night.  If I am going just for 1 night or an odd number of nights then I do not have to be so strict with sleep hours as I have a little extra left.  I try and still make a battery last 2 nights just to reduce the number of change overs I need in the night.  charging the battery on solar even just for an hour or two helps creep the battery out to stop prematurely running out.

Is that using a Heated Humidifier?  Weight of battery?

Wannabe Adventurer
    Spectator

@wannabeadventurer

The Transcend 2 night batteries are 500g in weight.  You cant use a humidifier on the trail, the humidifiers just use too much power.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

maybe you could turn down the air pressure to make battery last longer?

it wouldn’t work as well, but maybe that would be better than the battery dying

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The Transcend 2 night batteries are 500g in weight.  You cant use a humidifier on the trail, the humidifiers just use too much power.

Doesn’t that equate to 2 uncomfortable nights of sleep?  Using a humidified cpap at home and then going for 2 nights with a non humidified is going to cause discomfort in the nasal passages. Non heated hose is going to cause “rain out”…..more discomfort.

Wannabe Adventurer
    Spectator

@wannabeadventurer

Yeh hiking with a cpap that needs a humidifier is tough, very tough.  I did used to use a humidifier at home years ago, but slowly weened myself of fit so that hiking was easier.  If you need a humidifier then I dont think its really possible to do long multi day hikes, you just cant carry the extra weight of the humidifier and the extra batterries.

Wannabe Adventurer
    Spectator

@wannabeadventurer

Yes the number of hours will vary for each person depending on the air pressure you need and also if you have a mask leak overnight.  I have found that turning it down to 8, I normally run around 12 is a good balance for me where it is low enough to give me better battery performance but still being slightly effective to get me a good nights sleep.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I have some congestion at home, inside at room temperature

In the wilderness when it’s cold I have zero congestion.  There is plenty of flow of liquid,  At risk of getting gross : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

My wife uses a cpap. I have to deal with her when she does not get a good night sleep. If you use a cpap on the trail…..hike solo 

If your partner uses a cpap on a hike, wear ear plugs so you don’t hear the cussing and

complaining. 

Wannabe Adventurer
    Spectator

@wannabeadventurer

Looks like Transcend Auto is now a different shape but does anyone know of any real differences?

Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

I was diagnosed with (mild to moderate) OSA.  My doctor suggested trying Provent therapy, which are small and extremely light band-aid like disposable pieces that work for those who have success with nasal device only therapy.  I got the starter kit and used it on the Lost Coast Trail for a slower-paced three night trip and two nights in the Trinity Alps sleeping on my side with my gf and she said she never heard me snore.  I noticed no signs of unusual fatigue.  I hope to try it out on a more lengthy Lone Star Trail trip next month.

I think it is definitely worth a try for those looking for lightweight options as they are basically the size and weight of band-aids.  Worth asking your doctor about it at least.  If you do use it, I suggest having a means to clean some of the oil off your nose before putting it on to ensure best adhesion.

https://www.proventtherapy.com/

Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

I’ll add that I normally use an APAP.  Provent is also used by some who have OSA and have trouble using APAP/CPAP devices.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

What is the cost in the USA of the Provent system Scott? Here the starter pack is $130- which makes a new PAP mini look cheap

Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

$65 here for the starter kit.  It weighs virtually nothing and is not electronic so requires no battery recharging.  Just another option to be used to compliment or replace backcountry CPAP use for those it might work for.  Reviews indicate that it does not work for every person, and even my doctor said it really depends on the individual and you just have to try and see if it helps.  With PAP mini you have the weight and cost of the battery, etc. too.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Now needing a PAP machine all the time was part of the reason for abandoning my trip to Denali.

Now if the glue was re-usable it might be a viable alternative for short term use

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools