Topic

Completing legwear for lingering snow (and beyond)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Completing legwear for lingering snow (and beyond)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

General: Looking at getting into the Sierra (with above average snow) in less than a month and picked up a pair of Altra Neoshell “high-top” sneakers (on sale …in Arizona).   If this works, I’ll use the same system for snowshoeing the lower Rockies early 2018.

Now I’m looking at a gaiter to combine the system with a light softshell pair of REI pants (more similar to Patagonia Rock Crafts vs heavier softshell).  For June, I will have (worn) boxer briefs and packed Patagonia LW Capilene lowers too.

Specifics: So now looking at a decently rugged waterproof or highly water resistant gaiter.   I have both rugged OR Rockies (GoreTex) and older Crocodiles (plain).

Question:  Is there any potentially lighter gaiter I’m overlooking?  It needs to be rugged enough to withstand a posthole next to Sierra granite.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

To summarize, … any gaiter recommendations lighter than the OR stuff that can still stand up to rubbing against hidden granite?

Did a forum search and gaiter talk ends in 2015.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I take it that you consider the OR Verglas gaiters to be too light duty?  That’s what I have used for snowshoeing.

Mountain Laurel Designs’ Lightsnow Gaiters advertising states that they are tough enough for many seasons of use, and should last through one thru-hike.  Not sure how good that endorsement is; after all, how much snow do most through hikers see?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have the MLD superlght gaiters and I couldn’t be happier. I also hike primarily in the Sierra. No issues with wear. I’ve used the superlight in snow as well–day hikes; and for hours in early season snow. And creek crossings! I never tire of liking how light they are.
    !

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Thanks as I got some bad info on one of the gaiters mentioned above … and the snow levels in the Sierra are pretty high. Going to look at and purchase the MLDs likely.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools