Topic

Clothing options: lightweight running shorts? sun sleeves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing options: lightweight running shorts? sun sleeves?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I guess I’ve been mostly old school in my clothing options. I hike in convertible pants, Smartwool 150 t-shirt, and ExOfficio boxer briefs. I have a Smartwool 150 long sleeve top and a 250 long sleeve top.

My thinking is that I prefer the performance and comfort of the ExOfficio to mesh pant liners.

I thought that it made more sense to have zip off pants that would double as shorts and pants. However, I’m starting to wonder if the pants aren’t simply overweight? I don’t know what weight I can expect for lightweight runners shorts, but I definitely don’t use the pockets on my pants/shorts today. I liked the mesh belt in the pants for adjustability, but running shorts cover that need. I have a pair of knee high lightweight Z-Packs gaiters…but I still feel like I need long pants at times, even if just around the campsite. Is it reasonable to pack a pair of running shorts and a pair of non-convertible pants that weigh less combined than the convertible pants?

For the top, I’ve seriously started considering sticking to the short sleeve shirt and just adding in some super light sun sleeves to make them long sleeve as needed. Plus the sleeves have the added benefit of cooling technology. However, I’m not sure if that’s a good choice for late fall/winter. I’ve done some searching for cooling sleeves and their weight, but so far I haven’t had much luck. I was particularly looking at the OR Active Ice.

This summer has been particularly hot and humid. As a result, I’ve been stuck with soaking wet clothes that don’t want to dry out…and quite frankly a bit more swamp ass than I would like given the fancy underwear….I just don’t think any air is making it there through the hiking pant shorts.

Other clothing items I have:

CAMP B-DRY JACKET – 7.6 oz – no pit zips!!! :( :(

ZPacks Rain Kilt – 1.4 oz

Zpacks challenger gaiters – 2.8 oz

Current convertible hiking pants – 12.7 oz

Smartwool NTS 150 SS – 6.3 oz

ExOfficio boxer brief M – 3.1oz

Sock liner pair – 0.8 oz

Darn tough short crew sock pair – 1.9 oz

Synthetic down hood – 2.1 oz

Possum down glove liners – 1.4oz

Rain Mitts MLD – 1 oz

Smartwool NTS 250 LS shirt – 9.2 oz (new) or 8.4 oz (old)

Smartwool NTS 250 pants – 7.4 oz

OR Active Ice sun sleeves – 1.6 oz

OR sun runner hat – 2.9 oz

Patagonia nano puff pullover – 10oz – no pit zips!! Can’t vent the front because only 1/4 zip!!

Extra clothes weight: 1 pair liner socks, 1 pair merino hiking socks, 1 pair underwear, 1 Smartwool 150 SS shirt – 12.1 oz

Rocky Gore-Tex vapor barrier socks – 2.9 oz

Possumdown winter socks – 2.7 oz

Montaine waterproof/windproof pants – 6.9 oz (used as vapor barrier sleeping pants or around camp in the winter. (knee-down side venting is possible)

Smartwool NTS150 merino beanie – ?

Merrell TrailGlove3 with Salomon Kevlar quicklaces pair – 17.1 oz

Please help a guy out.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Typically zip off shorts have a straight fit rather than a flared fit. I would try some running shorts with a wide flared fit for ventilation and see if that helps with sweat.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Hi Zack,

I’m super happy with the RailRiders Eco Mesh pants and Journeyman LS shirt.

the Eco Mesh pants have zippers down the side that improve venting a lot when open, and they have Insect Shield as a bonus.  I wear them most of the time in the backcountry now – instead of shorts.  I also prefer the OR boxers – breath-ability, dries fast, etc.

The Journeyman LS shirt typically goes over another short sleeve wool or synthetic t-shirt.  I don’t wear the shirt all day, but sun/bug coverage is sometimes preferred, and the shirt has a mesh strip down the sides and a vent in the bag.  I will often just roll up the sleeves.  it also has Insect Shield.  I also find it’s great to have this at hand if I want to take off the sweaty t-shirt to wash and/or dry it out.  it may not completely replace a windshell, but it works in that capacity most of the time.

I do care about the weight of the clothing I wear, and sure, heavier shoes probably impact you more than a heavier pack, but in general I am willing to go a few ounces more on the clothes I typically wear while hiking to have versatility and comfort.

I will sometimes take a pair of running shorts along if I think I will be washing and/or drying my hiking pants.  Otherwise I change from my hiking clothes to sleeping clothes at bed time – lightweight wool bottoms and top.  If I’m camping with a group, i.e. scouts or folks I don’t know well, then the shorts also act as swim trunks or walk around shorts since you are usually in camp longer with a group.

As temperatures drop, I will eventually adjust this since breathability is not a priority, but in general this would be my 3-season day-hiking or backpacking clothing.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I forgot to ask – how do you like the rain kilt?  It doesn’t rain here in SoCal often, which is why I don’t have rain pants, but I’m thinking about getting something for wetter trips in the planning stage.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Bob, the rain kilt rocks!

It is light, easy to put on and take off, packs small, allows for airflow and keeps the rain off you.

I had the “pleasure” of hiking for 6 hours in the rain in a very hot Smoky Mountains steep climb to Mt. LeConte. The kilt was amazing.

The rain jacket on the other hand was a bit of a conundrum. If I wore it, the falling rain stayed off, but I sweat like crazy. But taking it off was obnoxious. So, I ended up draping it over me like a poncho and that was sort of ok.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

A few unfocused opinions:

RR Eco-Mesh pants proved amazing ventilation.

ExOfficio Give and Go Sport Boxer Briefs (mesh) work really well for me but their normal boxer briefs breath differently and the cut doesn’t fit me nearly as well.

I’ve worn Sunday Afternoons sun sleeves with the integrated glove which I like a lot and provide lots of cooling in dry desert conditions but I find them quite warm in humidity. I don’t think the cooling fabric would be a good choice in cool temps except maybe under a windshirt. They cool so effectively once a breeze hits them…

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

I haven’t really been a proponent of the windshirt. I’m not sure why I would choose that over my waterproof/windproof jacket…I wonder if I’m missing something?

I was worried about the humidity issue. Locally speaking, when it’s hot, it’s also very humid. None of my other cooling items that rely on evaporation work. So that’s not surprising. Sounds like if I chose to wear them, I’d be hotter, and the only benefit would be not having to constantly apply sunscreen…

And if I get the cooling ones, they’ll only be good in hot, less humid environments. Sounds like I haven’t really worked my way out of a long sleeve base layer unless I buy a heavier weight merino t-shirt and get the non-cooling sleeves…

I’m still struggling with the lightweight breathable running shorts, but still needing pants in some conditions…outside of physical appearance, perhaps layering the merino 250 pants under the running shorts would provide what’s needed? Not much abrasion resistance though…The gaiters do go to the knee and tend to trap a lot of heat when not vented…

I have both the ExOfficio boxer brief and sport. I haven’t really decided between them honestly. I do know the Underarmor had nylon stitching that created some seriously painful burn down there after very little distance. I haven’t tried the merino wool underwear as is just seemed too expensive and fragile and might feel weird.

Steve SNS
    Spectator

@sns

Locale: (null)

Zack, for the high alpine stuff I do, I go with UL running shorts (no liner) and separate briefs.

Then when it gets colder (down to ~20F) I can layer in some 6oz merino long underwear, 8oz fleece long underwear, and finally the rain pants as necessary.  Plenty warm.

Find myself hiking in the briefs, merino leggings, running shorts and gaiters quite a bit.

Obviously, I am not winning any fashion shows….

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have frequently gone with a skirt or shorts and a pair of cut-off pant legs that I put elastic around at the knees so they are sort of like gaiters. This works fine. I’d say try a trip with running shorts and the leg sleeves or long gaiters or whatever. If you get really cold you can wear your rain kilt or rain pants. I’ll bet you will find that it’s very rare (maybe just in camp or on a really cold windy day or if you have real winters) that you need anything more on your legs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools