Topic

Calling all HMG Southwest/Windrider owners: hipbelt pockets and fabric question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Calling all HMG Southwest/Windrider owners: hipbelt pockets and fabric question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

A question regarding the HMG series: Does anyone know what sort of fabric they currently use on the Southwest / Windrider line?  I recently sent my circa 2013 pack back to have the hipbelt zipper pocket repaired, and they replaced the entire hipbelt with new pockets along with the bottom of the pack.  The material used for the bottom of the packet doesn’t look at all like cuben fiber–it has more of a pure nylon appearance.  The weave reminds me of cotton canvas.  It also appears to be much heavier than the original fabric.  Can someone else confirm or clarify this?

Also, the hipbelt pockets are less roomy and near impossible to get things out of while the pack is worn.  The old pockets were really difficult to open while on trail but at least they had more room.  The new pockets are easier to unzip than the old ones, but the pocket is so constricted by the curvature of the hipbelt that getting anything out other than a tiny item is nearly impossible.  Has anyone tried removing the hipbelt pockets and attaching the pockets from ZPacks?  What I love about the ZPacks pockets is the top zip design and the roominess.  One complaint I have about the ZPacks pockets is that the thin elastic on the back isn’t much to keep the pockets snugged up against the hipbelt.  Anyone tried fixing this?

Pics below:

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

Yes I agree HMG pocket leave a lot to be desired. I cut the pockets off my HMG 3400 and use ZPacks hipbelt pockets the work great. I recently ordered HMG 4400 without  pockets, which I don’t advise anyone doing it’s a ripoff just cut them off and save yourself $30. My Zpacks pockets seem fit just fine on my HMG backpack.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Any idea what fabric they are using for the bottom of the pack?  Is it something other than a cuben hybrid fabric?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I thought it was 150d hybrid cuben fiber.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

The bottom is normally 150d polyester-faced cuben, but maybe they were nice and gave you full dyneema (like on some of the new packs). The belt pockets now work one-handed, but to get anything in or out you have to zip the ALL the way open, and even then they are only good for chap stick or a small energy bar. I have a few accessory pockets from MLD and Zpacks and they all have the water resistant zippers that don’t slide easily and so require either very careful pulling or two hands to operate. No free lunch.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Is full Dyneema what some call “woven Dyneema?”

https://blog.hyperlitemountaingear.com/woven-dyneema-bombproof-foolproof-waterproof-fabric-for-outdoor-gear/

That’s a $100 upgrade on the summit pack (for example)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Yes full dyneema = woven dyneema

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

@Phillip

Woven dyneema / full dyneema is not an “upgrade” in my view if it adds weight to the pack.  The original fabric was already plenty robust–much more so than the cuben hybrid fabric used in my ZPacks Arc Blast.  I am very gentle with my gear and rarely carry more than 20 lbs.  So for me, I don’t see the advantage.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Whether or not it is an upgrade depends on your uses.  The 50d poly backed cuben or even the 150d isn’t durable enough for major abrasion like sandstone or granite.  The 50d is perfectly fine for trails however.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

All of my hiking is on trail.  When I set my pack down, I do so with care.

I notice that there was about a 2 oz increase in weight for the 3400 series since 2014.  Are they still using a 50D material for the pack body?  Was the weight increase due to the double reinforced bottom?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools