Topic

butane canisters when traveling in China

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) butane canisters when traveling in China

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Hi there,

My family and I will be traveling through China this summer. Besides urban travel, we’ll also spend some time in remote areas. I seem to remember reading some time ago somewhere that lindal valve canisters were widely available throughout China as people in rural environments used them regularly for cooking. My questions are:

Are lindal valve butane or isobutane canisters common throughout China, even in remote areas?

Where are they sold?

Thank you for your help,

iago

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

I forgot to ask, if available, are the Lindal valves threaded or not? Thank you again.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Iago

There are hordes of domestic stove mfrs in China who never get near the export market. How light the stoves will be … good question. How SAFE they will be – another very good question. Some of the ones I have tested were emphatically NOT safe. Test AT purchase?

The Lindal brand is the name of the German company who makes a wide range of pressure pack valves. Screw threads are only a small part of their business. Whether the Chinese import from Lindal or make their own – I do not know. Maybe Lindal has a factory in China?

The Chinese make two main sorts of gas canisters: the bayonet fitting for wok-type stoves, and the screw thread. Fortunately, (afaik) ALL screw threads are the same.

Cheers

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the response. I had heard of the risks of buying stoves in China, so I am going to bring my own. Since I have also heard of dirty canisters, I am going to use upright stoves.

I was not sure if I would need an adapter for the valves and the availability of the canisters as we go from place to place, but I guess it will be alright…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Iago

Seems OK to me.

I would add however that a remote canister stove may be a whole lot more stable than an upright stove with its little pot support arms, and a lot more able to support the size pot (ie weight) you will need for a family. If you use an upright stove you will have the canister upright; if you use a remote canister stove with the canister upright, you can have both the increased stability and the lack of dirt.

Cheers

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Good point about remote canister :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Windshield has been folded down to 1/2 height for photo. It was close enough to freezing here, but radiation from the stove was warming the canister nicely (and not too much). This was in a high mountain hut.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!