Topic

Breathable, quick-drying baseball cap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breathable, quick-drying baseball cap?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Though maybe not as fast-drying as a mesh hat, I’ve had no complaints with these Columbia caps (linked below.) They look very normal, good for blending in.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Kodiak you think – if you have it – that it can be scraped off? cheers mate.

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Hi Jimmy,

I’ve got a couple Patagonia pieces that have the exact same hi-viz logo – I’m not in the apparel field so I don’t know what the process is called but it’s a hi-viz plasticine logo that is heat-transferred onto the fabric in a pretty permanent fashion.  Anecdotally I’ve observed that the cheaper brands such as the EMS store-brand stuff will have these heat-transfer logos peel off pretty easy (in fact they often begin the process on their own ;)  – but top-tier brands like Patagonia I’ve never seen an edge start to peel so I would not hold out much hope for you getting it off without a very unsightly result.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

A thought on covering up those logos:

(a) Make your own logo:  For those who can paint/draw (or know someone who can), you could cover up the logo using plain ol’ acrylic craft paint.  First, block out a rectangle that completely covers the existing logo; paint that rectangle a light colour.  Neatly.  Then paint something fun (an animal shape, a geometric design, a full mountain scene with sunset, a flower, etc.) using the rectangle as your “gesso’ed canvas”.  Voila — One-of-a-kind designer hat. [Acrylic art paint binds wonderfully to most fabrics, and will NOT chip, fade, or wash off.  I did something similar to my Bear Vault, and the design has weathered perfectly over time.]

(b) Sew on a cover-up patch:  For those who don’t draw/paint, just buy an inexpensive patch big enough to cover the logo (perhaps from your favourite national park?) and stitch it on.

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Locale: Great Lakes

I love how this thread morphed into logo placement….

Personally, I purchase gear with mostly hidden or not-up-front logos.  Big, gaudy logos are very annoying to me.  I do have a Marmot day pack that has a massive logo down the back, but that is about my only piece of gear with the up-front logo.  I used to have a Granite Gear pack with the add-on pockets….the logo on the pockets was ridiculously large.  Luckily, easy to take off as it was a sewed-on patch.  That damn OR hat logo bothers me….

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

Montbell has some hats that might fit the bill (no pun intended):

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=2401&gen_cd=1

The stainless mesh hat might be the closest fit if you don’t mind having the neck protector thing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My wife suggested I add a P and a K do my OR hat. I never got around to it but liked the idea…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice wife, mine would suggest a D and a K.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

LOL, good ideas!

I think the logo “discussion” is worth having (perhaps not this thread) but I’m sick of tired of paying to be an advertising board. Sure, there are brands I love and don’t mind talking about them and recommending them to curious people. But why should I be forced to?

Not too long ago, it was the norm to have no logos (see No Logo, obviously, for a nice history of this). Now when I ask for no logo, I’m met with a “what kind of fool doesn’t want to pimp what they’re wearing”?

Not to mention, part of travelling – from trains, planes to mountains – for me is resting from the constant onslaught of American consumerism. I buy, like everyone else, but I would love to not be assaulted by a logo everywhere I look. Thats why I try to buy things – I’ll pay premium – with no logo.

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

I think the logo “discussion” is worth having (perhaps not this thread) but I’m sick of tired of paying to be an advertising board.

I agree. Doubtful it will ever change, though.  The most bothersome logos seem to be on the new wave of trail shoes or hiking boots.  Logos very large and all along the side – I think it caters to many folks who feel the name brand/logo is as important as the performance of the piece.  Look at the North Face.  Basically a fashion piece now.  I can go into any bar on a Thursday night and find at least a dozen folks with a North Face fleece or puffy. I’m sure many haven’t been out-of-doors in some time. It’s the name brand…the logo…that drew them in.  Really, I could care less.  I buy what I want to buy – who am I to criticize or judge.  I just hate big logos….doesn’t matter who is wearing it…

I may have opened a whole new can of worms with that one…sorry..

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Marc-

The Juniper looks very promising. Thanks.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

@matthewkphx, i have a big head and the columbia coolhead fits me great.

i loved the swift too but it was a bit small on me.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just saw this thread. I like to wear a cap while hiking and I’m picky about them. About 8-10 years ago, REI had a line called Taku, and it included a cap. I had one of these caps and I loved it. Lightweight, no logo, I think. Does well with high exertion. I used it year round, including on snowshoe trips. You might be able to find one on eBay. Mine got destroyed in a washing machine a few years ago. It has a huge rip, but I still keep it and have even used it a few times like that. After trying out a few different caps, I now have a North Face cap. The logo is not my favorite thing, but it’s not too glaring as far as these things go. It’s not a bad cap. I’d be interested in an eVent cap and have looked over the last 3 or 4 years but found maybe one and it was heavier than I wanted. I think REI used to make one of those as well.

Here’s a Taku cap – not sure if it’s exactly the same as the model that I had: https://www.rei.com/product/758156/rei-co-op-welded-taku-cap-mens

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Nike Dri-Fit Runners cap i

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Headsweats.

And they come in several colors.

Daniel Kinsella
    BPL Member

@mrunderhill

Thrive Cap

I have one of Kuhls Uberkuhl caps and it is by far the best cap I’ve ever owned. The fit on it is great! Oh, and the logo is pretty non intrusive,

The new Thrive cap is the same cut but looks to be a great summer hat, I will be purchasing one for myself in the very near future..

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Hey, that Headsweats is interesting. Biggest question in my mind is the weight. Also curious about what Eventure fabric is. Not sure where the sweatband is – didn’t show up in the photos.

Not looking for mesh like in the Thrive cap – I wear these things in cold rain sometimes.

Daniel Kinsella
    BPL Member

@mrunderhill

Renegade Cap

Is another possibility from Kuhl, no mesh like the Thrive, and lighter weight then the Uberkuhl. It also looks like it has a slight DWR, and dries really quickly. Curious about the fabric. I’ve been using the Uberkuhl all this summer for hiking and trail running and its been great, just not a fan of the fact that it’s 68% cotton and were I live it’s as humid as a sauna. Though I will say it dries really quickly. After a run it’s dry in under an hour, and If I wash it in the sink to pretty it up it’s fine in a few hours.

Oh, I’m not a Kuhl rep or anything, I’ve just always found it difficult to find caps that fit my head well, and the paneling that Kuhl uses fits my head perfectly. If I wear a classic baseball hat, or trucker style hat I look like a 10 year old wearing his dad’s hat.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

The Amazon description of the Headsweats hat says that the hat is less than 2 oz. A photo in one of the reviews there shows a band inside, so probably the hat is not as light as it could be, but less than 2 oz is pretty good. The Headsweats web site has some of their hats on sale. Shipping was $5.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

$6 synthetic trucker hat w/ mesh and a snap-back. Found at truck stops along major highways.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Clearance headsweats hat arrived. Weight on my scale is 1.75 oz. after a small label was trimmed. The other label is sewn into the hat and I did not attempt to remove it. The hat has a nice, soft feel. Seems like it might get soaked in wet weather. I’ll give it a try, though.

I know now what I want to try.. A cuben baseball cap. Would not get waterlogged. Warmth might come from air between the brim and the top cuben layer. Didn’t find one online.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Love my Headsweats. Dries instantly.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

if you are looking for a waterproof cap there is Outdoor Research Helium Radar Rain Cap made from the same material as their Helium rain jacket, it weighs .7 oz or the SHOWERS PASS EVENT CAP it weighs 1.1oz  I own both and prefer the Radar Cap of the 2.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Even though those are not waterproof, I’d give them a try, except that neither one is in a style that I like. Baseball cap would work. I’m at a point in my light hiking evolution where I still care about style some. Sad.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I love me my hiking baseball caps but I have a particular obsession with using only hats that are crushable with soft brims.  And these babies are not easy to find.  Sometimes they are advertised as Runner’s Caps etc.  I think Mt Hardwear makes mine.  It’s super light.

I must have something I can stuff in my shorts pocket and something I can dip in a creek and wring out.  Ever try to wring out a baseball cap with a hard brim?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools