Topic

BPL Film Festival!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography BPL Film Festival!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Anyone else excited by the BPL film festival?   I’ll be submitting a project.  Technically I’ll be ineligible for any of the prizes since my projects are sponsored in part by BPL, which is totally fair in my book.  Still sounds awesome!

Anyone else submitting a project?  I’ve seen some pretty awesome backpacking videos on youtube and vimeo so I know the talent is out there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here is a link

https://filmfreeway.com/festival/backpackinglight

Interesting platform.

Mark V.
    BPL Member

@room210

Locale: Northern California

I’m excited!

I’m thinking of submitting a project. Although since it has to have been made within the last year, I will have to start a new project. I think I can squeak out a short before the August deadline (and it gives me just another excuse to get outside).

I am looking forward to viewing some of the other submissions.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

You should post your old project here for us to check out!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Best wishes to all the entries. Or break a leg. Not sure which is appropriate.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Why is this not plastered on the home page?

November 16, 2017 at 7PM Mountain Time at the Backpacking Light website – the festival will be shown online and available to Backpackinglight.com MEMBERS ONLY at that time. During that online event, members will have the chance to vote for the MEMBERS CHOICE award. The winning filmmaker will receive fame and some great outdoor gear prizes, along with a cash donation made in their name to their non-profit trail advocacy / conservation organization of choice!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Any other BPL’ers attending the in-person show tomorrow in Fort Collins?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I’ll be there!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Looking forward to watching it from a recliner in Chico. Hope BPL doesn’t hide the link somewhere.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

i’ll be  there. anyone know if the 7pm start is doors open or when films start?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

“November 16, 2017 at 7PM Mountain Time at the Backpacking Light website – the festival will be shown online and available to Backpackinglight.com MEMBERS ONLY at that time. During that online event, members will have the chance to vote for the MEMBERS CHOICE award“

Not a peep anywhere. Weird.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Good luck to all the entries. Chris S. based on your previous films I’d say you’re going in strong.

I think it’s great BPL organized and is hosting this live and online festival, but it would be nice if the films and voting online were available for a period of a few days, given that the membership is international and there are people in different time zones. Even many in or near the time zone may not be able to make it for such a narrow window of a single evening.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks Ethan!  The live event last night was super fun.   A trailer for my Rae Lakes was screened, along with Alcove and many other awesome films that were much better than mine to be honest.

My full Rae Lakes doc is coming out next week on BPL.  Here’s a trailer in the mean time:  https://youtu.be/HWg18xinhWQ

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Chris, I really enjoyed your video submissions.  Especially so, as it encompassed backpacking and backpacking even though that wasn’t one of the requirements.  I’ve now added that trip to my bucket list.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

really enjoyed the festival, so glad i was able to make it. can wait to re-watch them!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

From today’s e mail. NOTE CHANGE IN DATE AND TIME

”Dear Backpacking Light Member,

Private Members-Only Live Screening of #BPLFilmFest This Week!

This week we’re launching the #BPLFilmFest online as a private LIVE event to Backpackinglight.com MEMBERS ONLY (basic, premium, and unlimited members!).
    The private screening will start at 6:30 PM US Mountain Time on Wednesday, November 15. We will screen the *entire* festival program (unlike our live events, which only offer a sub-selection) of 16 short films – about three hours of films telling stories of human-powered adventure!
    A members-only invitation to the event, with a private link, will be emailed to all members tomorrow afternoon before 5PM US Mountain Time.
    Those attending tomorrow evening’s screening will be able to participate in the voting for the Members Choice Award – one of two major awards we are giving away to the best films!
    Pack less, be more,
    Backpacking Light”

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I wish it wasn’t just live so I could watch it as I have time.  I may not be able to see any of it on the 16th but certainly can’t stay up to watch it all.  6am comes early on the east coast.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Such an odd time. Even worse for those overseas.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Even if BPL wants to limit the screening time to have a 1-day voting period, could the films please be made available for BPL members to watch freely afterward?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I can’t speak to all the other films, but my 2 submissions “Alcove” and “Rae Lakes” will be available on my YouTube channel starting tomorrow.  http://www.youtube.com/hamsterfish

BPL is actually releasing an article along with “Rae Lakes” tomorrow.

Some of the other films at the festival were really great.  My favorite was called “Adrenaline Junkies” made by a high school student!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

“A members-only invitation to the event, with a private link, will be emailed to all members tomorrow afternoon before 5PM US Mountain Time.”

No e mail with a link at 4PM PST.  But at 4:34PST, it showed up.

“To maximize the integrity of the scoring process, you must have a valid Google Account to participate and each participant is limited to one form submission. If you don’t have a Google account, they are free and you can sign up here.”

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

The amount of navel-gazing going on in some of these movies is astounding:  Be a Hero:  Keep your face out of a couple of shots (TM).

Also, at least one movie was a thinly veiled (and biting) critique of the under-40 crowd — you aren’t fooling anyone. If these are the people that will protect the wild places for the next generation, it will only be to ensure a steady supply of social-media backdrops.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I thought the submissions were great!   I know how long it takes to make one of these things so I sympathize.  (Most of my projects take between 200-400 hours and come out mediocre at best).   These weren’t  professional directors.  Just regular outdoor enthusiasts like you and me who made short films.   Cheers to them for keeping us entertained for a night.  :)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I certainly enjoyed the film fest, though it played havoc with my workday. Congrats to Ryan, BPL, and all the movie makers involved.

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

The link is still functional (2nd BPL email mentioned it’s good for 24 hours).

Glad it’s open to us forum members, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools