Topic

Bob Open 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2018

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

You guys still fans of the MSR shifts? I was gonna get a pair and start experimenting with them shortly.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve got a ton of miles on mine- really like them.  The binding setup is really good (the same as the Lightning minus one strap)- there is an upper limit on what they’ll fit though, ballpark size 11.  The traction is very good as well.

As it’s such a small shoe, you need firmer snow for them to be effective.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yup I’m still a fan. I put a >100 miles on mine this spring in the Rockies. Super burly. I crossed scree slopes and forded rivers with mine on.

If the snow is truly isothermal mush they don’t help that much, and often the snow is consolidated enough in May that you don’t need them, but on semi-soft snow or a breakable crust, they can be a huge effort saver. It only take a hundred yards of that to be very glad you brought them

I agree with what Mike said regarding max shoe size. I wear 10 and there’s not a lot of extra room.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I played around with the idea of adding tails- the Evo/Denali ones are too wide. I still have an idea I want to try.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I didn’t get the opportunity to test out my innovative, appropriate technology approach of microspikes + conifer bough held on with a ski strap last year, but I’m putting it out there for cutting-edge fashion-setting minimalists.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that would rank right up there with the infamous shower curtain shelter :)

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

I see that the MSR Shifts are currently on end-of season sale at lots of sites, including REI.  Looks like most are around 20% off, but if you go through Active Junky, can probably shave another 5-10%.  Wouldn’t want to head out without some type of floatation given this year’s snow depth.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I like to try the Shifts but my size 13’s won’t let that happen.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ed- 13’s definitely won’t work as is, I don’t know if a guy could open up that front hole anymore where your toes rock????

I also see used Shifts (as well as Evos and Denalis) on eBay for pretty good deals occasionally.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Aren’t 13’s close to being snowshoes already?! ;-)

(Says a size 13.)

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

“Aren’t 13’s close to being snowshoes already?! ;-)”

More like canoes :)

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

mike , dan -question again, our michigan crew coming back for another go! we’ve been route planning , and wanting to go by the chinese wall, but concerned about the snow at that elevation and time of year—any thoughts, advise ???

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

on the snow shoe discussion – i’m blessed with size 13 landing gear, so been looking for some lighter options- last year i used northern lines back country – i liked them ‘ but at 46 oz. wanted less tonnage – just ordered a pair of northern lites youth- . they are 7×19 , and only 32 oz. hoping to adapt the bindings, or the grandkids will have a pair—

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan M- re: the Wall, my guess )purely a guess) at this juncture is there would be snow to contend with. It would be worthwhile perusing the older trip reports; I think I remember someone taking a route slightly out of the way to take in the Wall, seems like that had snow to deal with

I don’t recall if that was a high snow year or not

Mike

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looking like a snowshoe year for sure.  I wear 11.5s and I passed my Shifts along because my toeboxes made them go duck footed, which was annoying.  I tried grinding the opening out in either direction but you get out of plastic into the metal frame pretty fast, and that seemed structurally questionable.  I use a much older pair of Denalis now, quite a bit heavier than the Shifts, but comfortable all day even with soft shoes.

In 2012 Greg G took the CDT north along the Wall, and went over Pentagon Pass down to the Middle Fork.  No snowshoes, but we had clear and cold nights Friday and Saturday that year, so the snow was frozen as solid as it gets.  Him getting across the Middle Fork on foot without swimming remains one of the more amazing feats of the Open.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

it’s possible that the 16 oz hit might be offset by the 25-ish% increase in surface area :)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Thinking about a packraft, maybe not for this years open but this summer at the least.

Whats your guys opinion of the Alpaca Scout for creeks and rivers in the Bob. Youngs, Danaher, South Fork of the Flathead? The weight savings is intriguing, but the lack of a spray skirt concerns me a bit in early season rafting (not so much summer time).

Scout vs Yak is my dilemma.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

paging Dave C  :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You’ll get soaked on anything more than class 1, which really limits the water you can run during anything but the warmest 4-6 weeks of the year.  I’ve taken a Scout through Meadow Creek gorge at low water and run the whole Middle Fork in one, so aside from getting full of water in rapids they are totally capable.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

thanks Dave, Looks like a Yak it is.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The weight savings of a Scout is really intriguing, but as Dave said, it’s pretty hard not to get soaked, and the deck helps a lot when you do. If you had a really warm day and timed it so you’re paddling mid-afternoon, then a Scout could work, but that’s a lot of “ifs”. If you’re doing some shorts sections of river and the weather isn’t super cold, you could tough it out. But if you’re doing 5+ miles in anything but warm sunny weather, then the spray deck is a big help. I’m usually pretty chilled after a few hours on the water in a decked boat.

“In 2012 Greg G took the CDT north along the Wall, and went over Pentagon Pass down to the Middle Fork. No snowshoes, but we had clear and cold nights Friday and Saturday that year, so the snow was frozen as solid as it gets. Him getting across the Middle Fork on foot without swimming remains one of the more amazing feats of the Open.”
    Yeah that ford baffles me. I paddled across at that spot in 2015. There’s more info on the CDT route and Gressels trip here:
    https://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/06/12/2013-bob-marshall-wilderness-open-the-officially-unofficial-report/

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

Here is a little Badger Pass Snotel recent history for all you snow depth fans.

http://www.hungryhorsenews.com/local_news/20180403/more_snow_will_likely_come_thursday_badger_pass_snotel_site_back_online

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

spoiler – it’s not going down :)

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Can’t be that bad….

(checks the website)

OMFG WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’m allotted three preset messages- that could be one of them :)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools