Topic

Best Hiking Pants (American Made preferred)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Hiking Pants (American Made preferred)

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

Oh, and price.  Go Ruck isn’t cheap (being made in the USA they do have to give their workers something resembling decent conditions).  Normally the Simple Pants are $110 a pair, but they do offer 25% off everything for military, law enforcement, teachers, and students, so if you fit into one of those categories, that drops them down to about $89 shipped, which is pretty comparable with most other pants out there.

David K
    BPL Member

@davidk

+1 for prana brion. Agree that the Zion are too baggy. Brion is slimmer, love these pants. They don’t have the integrated belt system though.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Paul S said, “I would love to find some trekking/hiking pants with a ventilated crotch, to help prevent chafing during hot sunny weather.”

What about the RailRiders Tradewinds pant?

https://www.railriders.com/men-tradewind-pants-p-1122.html?cPath=104_110

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

I think outside the pants.  In summer, I H.A.T.E. hiking in pants.  Too much clamminess/sweat in the middle body parts.

I hiked 2000 miles on the PCT in 2015 mostly wearing floppy Patagonia boxer shorts and nothing else down there.  Convertible REI Sahara pants mostly rode in the pack after the first hour or so of early a.m. walking.   The pants were just NOT worth the $$$ paid for them, especially on that day when I discovered four hours after I’d zipped off the pant legs that I hadn’t parked them in my pack.

If I had to hike off trail, I’d still go with boxers or a DIY kilt, and loose DIY leggings made of Supplex to protect against pesky thorny branches that slash at my legs.

I wasn’t trying to draw attention to myself or trying to make a fashion statement, I was just doing what worked for me.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

To add, the ventilation of the RR Boneflats is indeed great but I’m not a fan of their bagginess and am retiring mine.

“Kuiu Tiburon’s are great hot weather pants…wind blows right through them…they also have thigh vents and have a little bit of stretch as well.”

Thanks for this.  Kuiu Tiburons are high on my list, or a board short/sun tights combo.  Any thoughts on the fit?

I read Justin’s critique of the fabric and do share some of those concerns.  I mostly find that nylon out performs polyester in the smell department, but do own some Columbia polyester shirts that don’t stink, or at least, stink worse than I do.  I’m personally fine in shorts in colder temperatures down to the 30s.  My goal is to limit my sun exposure and hopefully side step future biopsies.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve long been a fan of Railrider pants, I’ve become a new fan of Ex Officio Echo pants. Still expensive, but lighter, very comfortable, and also already ‘equipped’ with permethrin (Bugs Away) treatment. They’ve become my go-to pant for backpacking and casual travel.

I was interested in the KUIU Tiburon pants when I first saw them, but the price is simply ridiculous, IMO.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Agreed on the absurd price tag of the Tiburon.  They are very proud of their product.

How is the fit of your linked Ex Officio pants compared to the RR Boneflats?  Less baggy I hope?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

They are less baggy. I’m quite comfortable wearing them as casual pants, not just backpacking pants.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Doug will add those Ex Officio pants to my list. Wish they had a thigh pocket.

Also added the Tiburon. It’s very expensive, but it would be really nice if that fabric works well in hot weather. Do they ever run sales?

For hot conditions, I found two pairs of Patagonia fishing pants which I hope to try on soon. They use a very light nylon fabric through most of the pants. The Guidewater II has stretch panels that are supposed to be more durable in the seat and knees.

Patagonia Men’s Sandy Clay Pants

Patagonia Men’s Guidewater II Pants

Right now the closest I have to hot weather hiking pants is a very old pair of Sportif light but tough ripstop nylon zip-off pants. When needed I partially open the leg zips for a bit of ventilation.

ohoopee
    BPL Member

@ohoopee

The Tiburons are quick dry and the side zip is very effective for venting.  I also

wear their Tiburon shorts which I find very comfortable.  I have never hiked

more than 8 miles in either pair though.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’ve worn my Prana Zion now for a thousand miles or more and find them ventilated enough for warm weather. I simply roll them up to my knees and they never unroll for some reason (unless wet).

Comfy enough to sleep in as well and have pockets in all the right places.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools