Topic

Benefits of Stretching our Limits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Blog Posts Benefits of Stretching our Limits

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Companion forum thread to: Benefits of Stretching our Limits

Backpacking entered my life at a comparatively late stage, when my twin sons joined a Boy Scout Troop and parents were needed to chaperone. We went to

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Wonderful piece Manfred. I love reading about your adventures, and this bit about a piece of how they came to be was enjoyable to read.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Well said!!! Excellent piece here!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nicely put. If we don’t push beyond what we have experienced in the past (our limits) we will miss out on all sorts of experiences. The counter point is it’s OK to decide you have pushed farther than you want (it’s no longer “fun”) and then impose limits for future trips.

Michael P C
    BPL Member

@mikebcohen-2

Thanks, Manfred. Good post. 2 years ago, after 50 years of backpacking with friends, I started going solo. Last year, after 20 years of ski-backpacking (always with friends) I started doing that solo. For me, this was stretching my limits. Now I’ll try some of your limit-stretching. Thanks for the suggestions.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for sharing this piece, Manfred. Your start in backpacking is similar to mine and as my kid has grown older I am transitioning to going out by myself while simultaneously starting to venture off-trail.

One theme throughout all of my time outdoors is learning to be more comfortable with uncertainty. I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow or next week on the trail and I’ve grown more accustomed to this uncertainty. This has translated into becoming more comfortable uncertainty in other aspects of life, particularly in my practice as a classroom teacher. I have grown more spontaneous in my lesson planning which makes it easier for me to go In unplanned directions with different classes and to differentiate instruction based on the needs of individual students.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools