Topic

Anyone ever use alcohol with 1.8-2L pots in milder 3 season conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone ever use alcohol with 1.8-2L pots in milder 3 season conditions?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Please see next post

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I currently have .85L and 1.3L Ti pots and a 3L aluminum heat exchanger pot for winter and a variety of canister, remote, esbit and alcohol stoves. Typically heat up and then place the pot in a pot cozy to finish cooking.

I’m usually cooking 2P and usually take the 1.3L pot, but I’d like to add a 2L Ti pot to the mix for when I’d like to prepare a larger meal and/or some extra warm water.

For the 1.3L pot alcohol works just fine. For larger pots I’d grab a canister stove for speed and convenience. Not feeling the urge to change, but wondering if anyone out there uses alcohol stoves for 1.8-2L pots for milder 3 season trips and if so, how does it work for you? Are you waiting forever to heat up water for cooking and hot drinks, or is the wait tolerable while you do other camp chores?

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I’ve seen Dan Y from Zelph stoves post some large volume alcohol stoves. Maybe he will chime in.

Zak S
    Spectator

@zak

Locale: Berkeley, CA

Sure, I used an open country 2L pot with a basic cat can stove for 5 days in the sierra this summer, cooking for 3 (one of them a 3 year old).  Worked just fine, I think fuel consumption was about 2.5 fluid oz. per day (that’s for all of us, not per person, and that’s hot drinks in the morning, and cooked dinners, like couscous, beans and rice, etc.)

The only issue is that with a cat can stove, the capacity of the stove with two rows of holes is about 1.25 fluid oz of fuel- you have to use exactly that much to boil enough water for 3 dinners.  Easy fix by making a stove with 1.5 rows of holes, or using a wick type fancee feast stove, or just adding more alchohol when the first batch burns out.

Zak

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools